MPG

nickbb

Reaction score
hi to all. A couple of months into my new RS3 and loving it. I needed a car with more space, and i love hot hatches so i sold my 997 turbo and bought what i thought would be a car that does everything. And it does! My local dealer only had a S3 for me to try before i put my order in, so i took a bit of a chance. I have to say, it is better in every way than i expected. The only thing that has let it down is the MPG *. Don't get me wrong, if i cared about running costs i'd buy my mother's Toyota Aygo! And i know you never get what they say you should, but it gets nowhere close... and i've actually driven quite responsibly :blush:. So, i was wondering how my avg of about 23mpg compares with others on here....? Even when i do a steady 50ish for a while it never gets much over 30. I'm just curious if it's because the engine is still very new and not loosened up.

One thing that took me by surprise was that in sport and manual mode, it lets you stay at the limiter (i had assumed it would change up). So manual really is manual...

Incidentally, a few years ago i had a 996 turbo with a major re-map. It made around 500bhp and a huge torque figure, but amazingly the avg mpg was better than stock at about 26 (and i NEVER drove that thing sowly...). ....So maybe a re-map at some point will help my RS3 fuel consumption :whistle2:

cheers

Nick

hi to all. A couple of months into my new RS3 and loving it. I needed a car with more space, and i love hot hatches so i sold my 997 turbo and bought what i thought would be a car that does everything. And it does! My local dealer only had a S3 for me to try before i put my order in, so i took a bit of a chance. I have to say, it is better in every way than i expected. The only thing that has let it down is the MPG *. Don't get me wrong, if i cared about running costs i'd buy my mother's Toyota Aygo! And i know you never get what they say you should, but it gets nowhere close... and i've actually driven quite responsibly :blush:. So, i was wondering how my avg of about 23mpg compares with others on here....? Even when i do a steady 50ish for a while it never gets much over 30. I'm just curious if it's because the engine is still very new and not loosened up.

One thing that took me by surprise was that in sport and manual mode, it lets you stay at the limiter (i had assumed it would change up). So manual really is manual...

Incidentally, a few years ago i had a 996 turbo with a major re-map. It made around 500bhp and a huge torque figure, but amazingly the avg mpg was better than stock at about 26 (and i NEVER drove that thing sowly...). ....So maybe a re-map at some point will help my RS3 fuel consumption :whistle2:

cheers

Nick

sounds about right, it will improve a little as the engines are very tight when new, recently on a run to millbrook at 75 i got 31mpg

Mine (@ 3500 miles) has averaged 25.6mpg from NEW...

sounds about right, it will improve a little as the engines are very tight when new, recently on a run to millbrook at 75 i got 31mpg

Thanks for that. 31 at 75 is good. In fairness, 99% of my driving so far has been around town or short trips, so i 'spose 24ish isn't bad. I'm off on a road trip for a few days on Friday so will be able to give it a decent run for a change.

Gotta say, the mid-range pull on this car is amazing....

23mpg thats good!

i get around 22mpg on my s3.

my rs3 coming next week and i was expecting it to be alot worse on fuel guess not then?

I have done around 1000 miles and so far the highest average I've had is 34mpg, driving between 60 and 70mph. It does surprise me as it's similar to my previous car which was a 2.0tfsi with 300bhp. I use the car quite regularly on the motorway.

I have done around 1000 miles and so far the highest average I've had is 34mpg, driving between 60 and 70mph. It does surprise me as it's similar to my previous car which was a 2.0tfsi with 300bhp. I use the car quite regularly on the motorway.

I think i was too pessimistic in my opening post, probably based on the fact that most of my driving has been very short trips / town driving. 280/300 miles to a tank is a bit frustrating when there's only one petrol station near me that does super-unleaded.

I've just done a 300 mile round trip on some good roads through the Cotswolds and Somerset. No Mways, mostly country A roads. On the way my driving was quite "enthusiastic" (it was pent-up having had the car 2 months and little opportunity to really see what it could do). I got about 26mpg. On way back, i was more subdued and it was a very respectable 33.

When i was with the mate i went to see, we tried the launch control. I've always been a bit sceptical, thinking these sorts of things are a bit gimmicky. I was soooo wrong. F*ck me, it took every ounce of air out of my lungs!

Having had a chance to really give it some on good country roads, this car is in a word, EPIC. I'm going to do a brief write-up of the car in the next day or so....

cheers
Nick

Last edited:
I do a fair bit of commuting every day - stop start queueing plus a fair bit of motorwoy driving the rest of the time.

I've just completed 1500 miles now and my overall real world mpg (using brim to brim fiil ups) is around 23mpg. Best tankful was 26mpg. Best journey MFD display on a motorway cruise was 30mpg.

MPG reports seem to vary vastly? I know not everyone drives the same. Are some run in better than others. Over 4kmls I've not seen 220 out of a tank!

Im on 16,000 miles with a long term average of ..................... 16.5 mpg :'(
This is mainly town, rush hour driving or country lane blasts.
I am probably a little more enthusistic on the gas than most people.

That said, even my girlfriend only manages 22 mpg and she drives like the lady she is.
My best is about 26 mpg tip toeing around in it.

Anything over 30 mpg is a miracle in my book
Enjoy
Matt

Nice to hear of owners with more miles under their belt so to speak.

Any other issues you have come across other than discs warping? Build quality?

Cheers

I can honestly say that I am delighted with the car and cant really complain about anything apart from the brakes. Whilst the drilled holes and ducts has helped I am certain that with a little more gusto and dry weather they would overheat again. I am sure i will end putting the pagid pads on.

I went through the first set of front tyres in 6,000 miles but changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 Ays 2. They handle and wear better than the conti's. I have used them for the last six years on my previous hot hatch. They have managed 10,000 miles and still have some tread left. The backs are still the originals.

I have had no build quality issues.

My biggest gripe is the cars handling. It does it all too well in the dry meaning the fun factor is taken out of it.
In the wet it understeers unless treated a little rough. It does everything so well that you have to be going uncomfortably fast to unsettle it. I think some rear wheel power bias would have really sorted the car out a treat.

Matty