My 1.8 TQS kindof project thread.

Yeah mine does too. Didn't realise they all did though.

And yes it's nice it passed on the day rather than needing some work, I'll just get them looked at over the next few weeks (brake lines) and then it'll be all good.

All tqs's are basically small engined s4's, so black headlining, Ali trim, strut brace etc all standard

Yeah mine does too. Didn't realise they all did though.

And yes it's nice it passed on the day rather than needing some work, I'll just get them looked at over the next few weeks (brake lines) and then it'll be all good.

If your thinking about brake upgrades, maybe now is the time, as depending on the setup you choose you may need different rear lines?

If your gunna upgrade the rears and leave the fronts as 312's then get S4 facelift vented rears as the TQS brake hoses are the same as the S4 iirc

Plus if you ever decide to go bigger upfront you then have the S4 rear calipers to do the 300mm upgrade !!

What's a price estimate for the s4 facelift brakes? I might take the chance to upgrade them rather than just doing the brake lines. We shall see.

Thanks for the advice!

I got the calipers for £75 posted and new seal/boot kit was about £10-20 and had some hammerite left over so got them all cleaned up on the bench wheel and gave them a lick of paint to clean them up a bit !!

Just go on SRS and see whos breaking an S4 il have a quick look if your not a member on there !!

Cheers for the info bradderz. The rear subframe is looking a little worse for wear also. The mot tester suggested I wire brush it all and protect it. Waxoyl? What do people use for stuff like this? Or should I get a new/refurb subframe? I'm sure at this age the bushes will be worse for wear.

Its upto you how you do it either way it has to come off ....

1. Buy a used frame, clean it up then spray it or get it powdercoated, then fit new bushes and find time to fit it !!

2. Remove frame then as above clean, paint, new bushes and fit !!

Just before winter i just cleaned it best i could on the car and used some underseal but may look at doing it properly in the summer when the drive is abit warmer to ly down on if im not in the trade that is otherwise il do it at work on a ramp and stand as im looking at doing the rear bushes pretty soon thinking of poly bushing :)

Mine is desperate for it too, I gave it a coat of waxoil aerosol when i had the car, I will probably do this again as soon as car is mobile. Hopefully stop it where it is. No one ever looks under the car, so wouldn't know how scabby it looked,LOL

Been looking at braided hoses for when i upgrade the brake lines. Was thinking of this kit; HEL AUD-6-215

Most sites state that it's avant and don't explicitly state whether the avant and saloon brake lines are the same. Are they?

Also, anybody used brakes4u, they are a lot cheaper than most other places! (I've emailed them to ask the same fitment question, but I don't always trust online sellers)

Cheers

Avant and saloon are the same iirc

When i ordered my goodridge hoses and ate blue off ebay i gave them these measurements

Front: ~330mm with 2x Female ends
Rear-Subframe to Wishbone: ~190mm with 2x Female ends
Rear-Wishbone to Caliper: ~255mm with 1x Male and 1x Female ends

Think there M10x1 thread iirc

Cheers mate, very helpful!

How much were your hoses? From brakes4u I can get the HEL ones for about 85ish, for all 6, which I didn't think was too bad.

Ah nice. First time i've done brakes, so might be interesting. I'll be ordering the lines in a bit. Think I might put super blue in too, i've seen it mentioned a few times now...so must be good.

Thanks again.

I'm confused now...

I enquired about the braided hoses but got no reply, so went about buying the ones I thought were correct. Sods law, about an hour after I ordered a set somebody got back in touch and said that since I don't have an avant, I need one of two other choices.

It depends on whether my chassis code is pre 8D-V-168-350 of from 8D-V-168-351.

Looking at my chassis code (vin) in my service manual it's wauzzz8DzXA3....

Does that mean I'm post 8D-V-168-351? I hate chassis numbers, and I'm on my phone too so using them decoders is a pain in the **** too.

Any advice?

I think all tqs are from 8d-x-200-001 as that was the facelift change over, not sure what the "v" is about ?

Actually I think the v relates to model year, and mine on a 99 is an x, so yeah you'll be post

I did away with the small joiner pipe and went direct to caliper from the one flexi

Interesting! With my lack of knowledge I think i'm gonna keep them as is this time! I don't want to factor more possible failures into this little bit of maintenance! :D

Actually I think the v relates to model year, and mine on a 99 is an x, so yeah you'll be post

Cheers mate. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I'm still not sure what is different between a saloon and avant though...if anything?!?!

So, I said it would be a thread which isn't updated often...

Been a bit of a crazy summer, so not done huge amounts to the car, but i've been doing little bits.

Finally got my S4 wheels refurbed....and what a disappointment that was :( They were far too dark for my liking. I should have taken them back and moaned, but I probably left it too late between collecting them and realising just how dark they were. SO back the winter wheels went on, and the S4 alloys are going to be sold on. They just don't look right on the car (hence why i never bothered doing the center caps)

Fitted a boost gauge: Lame pic, wasn't wired in at that point. I went for a steering column mounted one as it's least modifications to the car. I didn't have to butcher my vents or anything. Doesn't amaze me, but it does its job.

Also, you'll notice the ABS light. It's been on since early 2014, so thought it time to do something. Got the module refurnished as I couldn't communicate with it. ACtronics did it, very fast turn around, and works perfect now. Just hope it lasts!

That was all fixed and working, but VCDS still returned an error and my abs light was on the dash still (Not in the DIS as previously). Also noticed I had a split cv boot, which was suspected cause of the abs failure due to nasty stuff flying around that area.

Rang up for a new CV boot, and ended up buying a new joint too, as I wasn't sure when the boot had aplit, and for about £30 all in for a meyle it seemed silly not to (thanks allgermanparts: great guy and parts were perfect!)

Finally got around to fitting it just this sunday, due to ill kids, weather, work etc. All went ok apart from getting the old abs sensor out. Basically had to destroy the thing, which I have read before. All connected upo and works perfect. First time in about 8 months that i've had an error free dash!

Pinch bolt came out easily enough, it's had a new set of control arms about 4 years ago, so i didn't expect TOO much hassle.

Old sensor in the hub:

Out with the old:

On with the new

And the frigging ABS sensor, which was destoyed in the making of this...It sits in a little metal cage that now looks a little worse for wear. But it seems to be working (my ABS is no longer always on and no error lights).

Pretty happy all in all. Had to buy a few tools, broke a 3/8" breaker bar, but that was my fault for being silly and not following the guides saying always use a 1/2" one. But, job done, seems to work great and i'm happy. :)

Sorry for the long post. I'll try update it a little more. Next time i'll try update sooner. Need to do the brake lines still, want to fit a decat and refit the exhaust as it hangs low and is stopping me lowering the car as it scrapes on speedbumps.

Reactions: superkarl and ScottD3
Just ordered my cv joint kit from jason at allgermanparts, one of the new febi boots popped its clip, stumbled across a genuine boot kit for around £12 iirc took off the old cv joint and cleaned it all out and now its just started to click at low speed on full lock, and as i still needed 3 bushes for the rear due to the metal insert bending in the press slightly i ordered another 2 and the was replaced as it had become deteriorated in the packaging i ordered one cant go wrong for price and quality.

You done out with the rear brakes yet ??

No, not yet. I really need to as MOT is fast approaching too, and it was an advisory last year!!!

I'll get on it over the next few weeks, but going away for a week with work soon, which doesn't help :(

Is the car still driveable with the abs module apart like that? I have the same problem but tempted to just fit another unit.

Yes you can drive the car with the module off. You just have no abs.

Think my refurb was about a hundred quid, purchased it through eBay. I watched a video of the process and it sold me on it. They replace all the links, not just the broken ones. So it should last for years now, I'm hoping longer than the car does :)

Looks really good where you based ? I have an avant se

I've found that the problem with the center caps is that the spring clip comes away from the cap face. If you are carefull you can fix the issue with a pair of pliers and a hammer :D

Thats if you still have both parts ofcourse. I'm getting used to tyre places bringing out my center caps in two pieces :(
I take them off before i send my car in ever since they broke everyone of my center caps on my xr3i years ago and tried to say nothing ...........

Erk. I need to do an ABS sensor soon.

VCDS is giving me an error for the left-rear. I have a new sensor ready, and tried to take the old sensor out. 9mm bolt that's rounded off and seized! I guess I'll need to remove the caliper, disc and splash guard so I can get brutal with it! Any tips?

That TQS looks really good in silver, but I'm still chuffed with the colour of mine! :D

before you smash the sensor up, pop the driveshaft out and check the reluctor ring on the CV joint. They're known for breaking.