My a5 front splitter.. How it was made..

Tez_14_2000

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I recently bought myself a 2008 a5 and really wanted a nice front splitter.
Unfortunately all the lower budget stuff was either horrible looking or seemed rather poorly made, or a fairly ropey fit...
I'm in the car bodywork trade and love when the rare opertunty pops up for me to try something like this I jump at it.
Truthfully, I've only ever fabricated a couple things like this and never anything of this size so was unsure how it would work.
I'm rather fussy and truthfully am really pleased with how it came out... So thought I would share with you how.it was done for anyone who is like minded and interested.

In a nutshell, I used a sheet of MDF, shaped it to the back lower edge of the bumper and angle the cuts to flush it to the bumper.
I then choose the profile I wanted for the leading edge and used a few more slips on the middle to give the rise to the centre section and sanded it all smooth.
I used filler to fill the void between the splitter and bumper.
I decided to angle the top face a bit so again, used filler to build the top up to the shape.I wanted and then finally put a small a roll on the top edge where it meets the bumper, again moulded to the bumper for a neat fit.

Once any voids and details were filled,finished and shaped it all needed primed And painted for moulding.

I then left it with a guy I know does glass fibre for him to mould it as I wanted and then reproduce a replica in glassfibre.

He done a really good job of it and truthfully, could have been polished and fitted as it was, because he made it with black gell coat, which because the master had been painted smooth, meant the reproduction was shiny smooth finish too.

However, being a painter, it made sence to me just to give it one coat of primer And paint it gloss black as it would cost me nothing, and bring the finish from 95% to 100% deep black smooth glossy finish....

Then it just needed a little double sided tape, a few screws and 4 small bolts to be sure it was secure and it was job done.

DSC_0982.jpg
DSC_0981.jpg
DSC_0983.jpg
DSC_0997.jpg
DSC_1002.jpg
DSC_1003.jpg
DSC_1020_1.jpg
DSC_1184.jpg
DSC_1185.jpg
DSC_1191.jpg
DSC_1200.jpg
DSC_1199.jpg
DSC_1207.jpg
DSC_1246-01.jpeg
DSC_1217-01.jpeg
DSC_1221-01.jpeg

So that's that... Really helps to add a little depth to the non s line bumper and makes it look a little more aggressive in my opinion and because it's moulded to an a5 bumper it's fit is as close to perfect as you would ask for.

Hope u like it as much as I do.

:)

Reactions: ruairi83, Sean1ucc, Stanningtonglen and 3 others
Great job Tez, I can see you getting a few requests to supply this to other A5 owners.

JG

Well now I have the mould, I just need to get a price for the reproduction of them so selling them is very possible.... I'll see what feedback I get and if the demand is there I'll look into how much it would cost etc to supply them :)

Well now I have the mould, I just need to get a price for the reproduction of them so selling them is very possible.... I'll see what feedback I get and if the demand is there I'll look into how much it would cost etc to supply them :)

Try A5-OC aswell Tez, and no, I'm not looking for commission, lol!
JG

Great Job Tez. And as JG says, I'm sure you could sell those, I know I'm interested!! That black contrast finish looks great too.
Pm me if you decide to do them, let me know how much your looking for ;)

Reactions: RS5 JON
Actually spoke to the guy who moulded it about cost and either he can do it finished in black gellcoat, or I can prime it ready for paint.. Either way, for him to make it, and me to post it, it will be about £240 delivered to mainland....
The honest truth is I don't know what guys will be willing to spend on it. But I know the fits excellent and quality is very good indeed, far better than most of eBay stuff I've seen..and I've seen alot that customers have supplied which I've flat refused to fit.

Is £240 odd reasonable do u think? I can maybe get him to knock £20 or so off it if I was confident there would be follow up orders... But I don't want to pay him to make it to find I'd be out of pocket on selling it....

Glad you like it tho thanks :)
The more I see my car with it the more I think it really enhances the front end.

I might have to wait a while before I can commit to that.
She's been in the workshop for a month now with a broken fuel pump bracket that's taking forever to arrive so I've got to pay for that first :puke2:

If you could do that Painted (the gloss black) I think that should be a good price.
If you were going to do it I'd suggest a group/batch buy on here and A5OC, and only do it when you get 5 or 10 orders so you can get your fibreglass guy down on price and get payment up front so you've no risk of people bailing.
Plenty of people with Sports now looking to make the front end more aggressive :gun2:

Very interested in this if it does get into production! Would it fit a 2011 s-line front bumper? Also how was the fitting process?

Great bot of work. Would love to know of it fits s line bumpers and if it fits pre and post facelift

Who moulded it?

£240 is a little steep triple r composite make splitters the same way the one on my Leon was £97 plus delivery.

I'd be interested though on it fits facelift s line :)

Sorry for the late reply I've been extremely busy in world the last couplemonths.

I'm afraid it wounded to the shape of a non sline 2008 so it will only really fit a prefacelift non sline...

Fitting I just lined it up to where it should sit, put a line of double sticky on the two corners, then drilled a few very small holes for short self tapper screws and then a couple slightly larger ones right under the bumper for 4 bolts... Look about 30-45 mins (altho that was on a two poster ramp)
More time.involved it making sure it's exactly where u want it... if ur a fussy git like me lol

Would it be possible to slightly modify the current mold or splitter itself to fit the s-line?

I've had a few people ask me this so.I'm.baring it mind... But to be honest, the time involved etc and if it's possible etc would need to be looked into.
For the meantime ill see how the non sline goes and if I can fabricate a sline version I'll certainly let u know. :)

I'm just looking at pics of the front bumper of the quattro front bumper vs an s-line and I can't see any differences to the lower line. Can anyone verify if this is actually the case?

Dude great work.

If you can get it to fit the s-line and get a good price a lot of us from the A5OC are looking for one.

So keep us updated plz.

I live nearby so can bring my car around to see how it fits some evening/wknd

I'd be interested in one of these please in black gloss defiantly! Could you inbox me if you are willing to sell them please? Thanks Jack

I would be interested too for my 65 plate S5, if it fits :)

Tez_14_2000

Can you still produce these splitters for the Non s line bumper?

I would love one so if you could get in touch and let me know costs that would be great :)

Thank you!

Looks awesome! Would love to have one