My A6 Avant Problems!

RL1988

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I purchased my Audi A6 Avant 40TDI in December and have covered around 4000 miles in the first 3 months. I thought i'd post on here how living with the A6 has been and a number of things that are a constant annoyance. I appreciate most of these points have been mentioned before, but id love to hear every one else's experience. This is my 3rd Audi, with my previous one being a 2016 Manual A6 Avant.

1) The constant lag of the gearbox and the time it takes to respond. I know this has been discussed at length on the various forums, and the only way around this seems to be to put the car into 'dynamic' mode, but this ends up holding gears for too long expecting sudden acceleration changes like on a track!

2) The stop start system. On the old manual model this works fine, however, the new model with the 'engine turns off when coasting feature' ends up turning the car off when approaching a junction, so when trying to pull out, the engine needs to kick in, then the bad, slow gearbox takes an age to respond. This has caused many close calls on roundabouts when trying to pull out quickly!

3) I also HATE the lane departure feature- as do many others it seems! As had been written elsewhere, trying to overtake cyclists, avoid puddles potholes results in the car swerving back into the centre of the road and hitting whatever it was you were trying to avoid. This also fails in contraflows and gets confused with hatch markings on roads. I religiously turn this off when I get in the car but I also wish there was a way to turn this off permanently!!!

4) The rear camera wash button on the screen when reversing doesn't actually clean the rear camera! This is linked to the rear windscreen wash system, but one press on the button doesn't release enough liquid to actually cover the camera. Its not as simple as to 'hold' the button or press twice, as it cycles the rear wiper too which takes 2-3 seconds before the button can be pushed again. The only way to effectively clean this is to operate the rear wiper.

5) The windscreen demist and blower system on maximum capacity takes an age to actually do anything. On the previous model, it had 12 settings, however, on the new model, this only had 6 settings with the maximum setting being nowhere near powerful enough.

6) The windscreen wiper automatic sense just isn't as good as the last model. In the old A6, this would always be on the 'automatic' setting, but now, it just doesn't 'wipe' enough to clear the rain from the screen. The 'frequency' adjust button on the stalk also doesn't actually seem to do anything.

7) I also have that annoying 'rattle' behind the dashboard which most people seem to have experienced! Mine seems to appear whenever I accelerate reasonably quickly and sounds like its behind the glove box. Did anyone ever get an answer to this?

8) I have various annoyances and pet hates with the satnav/ user interface. Things like the ability to 'write' the destination in always replacing a 'G' with a '6' or a 'g' with a french 'ç'. There are also other things like the voice recognition not understanding and the voice responding sounding like an alien. Ford, Vauxhall, Merc, BMW can make the response voice work but Audi seem to struggle!

9) Door handles sticking as per plenty other posts on here

I could go on with other little things, but I think this is enough for now! I'd love to hear peoples experiences!

Here's my two cents.

1) Gearbox/throttle response. I agree with you, it’s extremely slow although I have got into the habit of changing into S/Dynamic. I should not have to do this every time that I want to pull away faster than a tortoise.

2) Android Auto/Car Play still does not work properly on my MMI like many others without the tech pack.

3) Rattles and noises from the dash. I have had the front dash trim replaced that did resolve this for a bit however I have now got more rattles coming from the MMI bezel and a knocking noise from under the dash when I pull away (sounds like something sliding around and knocking).

4) Driving around in Eco mode and then parking up. Starting the car again results in the gear display showing D2 (not E2) in eco mode on the DIS. I’m sure that this is just a GUI issue however again it is something that Audi’s coders and QI team have missed.

5) Changing the fan speed to manual ‘speed 6’ to clear the windscreen or warm the car up quickly. It decides that 5 is more appropriate even though I have already manually set it…

6) Auto headlights – Always on this time of year. Yes it’s darker however now that we’re approaching summer I am now going to and from work in daylight. I don’t need auto headlights and auto full beam on without the option to turn my lights off manually over 10mph.

7) Sticking out door handles. I was going to give these the WD40 treatment but I am due my first inspection and service soon so that problem is also going on the list of things Audi will fix.

8) Put the car in park with the handbrake on, try and open a door and the door half opens/unlocks. The door then gets stuck between locked and open meaning the handle is unresponsive and you have to shoulder barge yourself out of the car.

9) Wing mirror rubber seal perished. The rubber seal that sits beneath the wing mirror on the mount where it folds just decided that It would bulge one day resulting in the mirror half folding out. I had to turn back the mirror myself and turn off the fold on lock option.

10) RSAP – Bluetooth internet for android. My phone has RSAP and works on my partners VW and my previous vehicle. I can’t for the life of my enable the car phone profile as it won’t detect it.

11) Had a blown speaker which was replaced. This happened because I put the car in reverse and instead of quieting down the entertainment to hear the sensors it played the loudest record skip noise which blew the front passenger speaker.

RL1988, you mention a button to activate the rear camera washer. Where is this, as my car (built September 2018) does not have one, only way to wash the camera is by using the rear screen washer

Hi Elan2s- When in reverse and the camera appears on the screen, one of the buttons within the camera screen opens a menu where there is an option to 'clean reversing camera'- which does activate the washer and the rear wiper, but releases nowhere near enough fluid to actually do anything and only smudges the back window! The button cant be held to release more fluid and the cycle cant be repeated for around 3-4 seconds. Its a complete waste of time like a lot of things on that car!

1) Gearbox/throttle response. I agree with you, it’s extremely slow although I have got into the habit of changing into S/Dynamic. I should not have to do this every time that I want to pull away faster than a tortoise. Yes I know this is a fix, but the Dynamic mode is almost too violent and holds 2nd/3rd until 3500rpm which is just annoying- so you end up taking over with the paddles to shut it up!

2) Android Auto/Car Play still does not work properly on my MMI like many others without the tech pack. Yup- agree

3) Rattles and noises from the dash. I have had the front dash trim replaced that did resolve this for a bit however I have now got more rattles coming from the MMI bezel and a knocking noise from under the dash when I pull away (sounds like something sliding around and knocking).

4) Driving around in Eco mode and then parking up. Starting the car again results in the gear display showing D2 (not E2) in eco mode on the DIS. I’m sure that this is just a GUI issue however again it is something that Audi’s coders and QI team have missed. I tested this earlier today and can confirm mine does that too!! Reported to Audi!

5) Changing the fan speed to manual ‘speed 6’ to clear the windscreen or warm the car up quickly. It decides that 5 is more appropriate even though I have already manually set it… Tested this and I cant replicate on mine..... ?

6) Auto headlights – Always on this time of year. Yes it’s darker however now that we’re approaching summer I am now going to and from work in daylight. I don’t need auto headlights and auto full beam on without the option to turn my lights off manually over 10mph. Never noticed this but I will now!

7) Sticking out door handles. I was going to give these the WD40 treatment but I am due my first inspection and service soon so that problem is also going on the list of things Audi will fix.

8) Put the car in park with the handbrake on, try and open a door and the door half opens/unlocks. The door then gets stuck between locked and open meaning the handle is unresponsive and you have to shoulder barge yourself out of the car. I cant get mine to do this either? Is this something other people have a problem with? I assume you have the engine running and the doors locked before you try to open?

9) Wing mirror rubber seal perished. The rubber seal that sits beneath the wing mirror on the mount where it folds just decided that It would bulge one day resulting in the mirror half folding out. I had to turn back the mirror myself and turn off the fold on lock option. Now you mention this, I noticed my driver side mirror starting to do this. I'll get this looked at

10) RSAP – Bluetooth internet for android. My phone has RSAP and works on my partners VW and my previous vehicle. I can’t for the life of my enable the car phone profile as it won’t detect it.

11) Had a blown speaker which was replaced. This happened because I put the car in reverse and instead of quieting down the entertainment to hear the sensors it played the loudest record skip noise which blew the front passenger speaker.

I called my closest Audi and reported all of the problems above and they said they'd have it in to have a look....however, the soonest day they could get this in with a courtesy car would be in a MONTH!!! No offer of a hire car, no offer to collect the car, no offer of another garage etc. Customer service and service in general is just pathetic. This is my 3rd Audi and will definitely be my last.... Previous experiences with Mercedes and hearing from friends who have other premium cars just don't have this problem with a company who clearly DONT CARE!

Sluggish transmission- yeah sport helps, it also helps with the OP's start/stop issue.
No noisy dash for me.
The transmission eco mode issue also happened on a couple of courtesy A5's, an A4 and a Q2 I drove. So it's Audi-wide, not just limited to A6.
No RSAP problems with Galaxy S9+
Sticky door handle seems to have stopped, could be the wet weather?
The fan speed Max of 6 isn't enough for delisting, I've has 2 C7's and the 12 speed fan was great.

1. Yes it is very annoying, I use comfort as I find it the best for the lag.
6.The auto headlights is rubbish as I go through check points and blind the guards all the time or annoy people and crawl at 7mph.
8. I have this issue it is frustrating.

Jeez you guys know how to make a guy feel good who’s collecting an A6 in a few weeks, hopefully it’s not as bad as it sounds ! :laughing:
I’m coming from an 2018 S3 which also suffers with hesitation when pulling away in all but say Dynamic/Sport but other than that it’s a great car, I was hoping for improved refinement not loads of niggling issues

1. Yes it is very annoying, I use comfort as I find it the best for the lag.
6.The auto headlights is rubbish as I go through check points and blind the guards all the time or annoy people and crawl at 7mph.
8. I have this issue it is frustrating.

I dont think I've ever used Comfort mode, being a minge bag, I'll stick it in efficiency, or Auto/Dynamic if I'm flush.

Morning 'The Saints'. Sorry for putting you off, however, I've had mine for 3 months now and genuinely HATE it. This is my 3rd Audi (2016 A4 then a 2016 A6 Avant) and this is definitely the last. Yes, it looks gorgeous, but that's it. The functions and features are rubbish, the engine and gearbox are pathetic and its full of faults, niggles and badly designed stuff. I wish someone had advised me before I collected mine and I'd have changed it to the equivalent Merc or Jag. I contacted Audi about this and the 'soonest' they could have a look at this was in a months time- pathetic.

I'd honestly reconsider, i really would. I'll be making a video of the raft of problems these cars have got an uploading to youtube. I'll let you know when this happens! I genuinely mean it- if you can get your money back, please please please do- you'll hate every second of owning the car like I do.

Reactions: The Saints
The car can be great. The features are there, the feel, the mechanical reliability. My opinion is that with, at least my model, it's unfinished. I've never had a car that has so many issues before with the price tag that the C8 carries. It's not a problem car, that's evident from other owners reporting the same. It just feels like it was rushed out.

Reactions: The Saints
Hi Elan2s- When in reverse and the camera appears on the screen, one of the buttons within the camera screen opens a menu where there is an option to 'clean reversing camera'- which does activate the washer and the rear wiper, but releases nowhere near enough fluid to actually do anything and only smudges the back window! The button cant be held to release more fluid and the cycle cant be repeated for around 3-4 seconds. Its a complete waste of time like a lot of things on that car!
Thanks, found it this morning

Good afternoon all,

I purchased my Audi A6 Avant 40TDI in December and have covered around 4000 miles in the first 3 months. I thought i'd post on here how living with the A6 has been and a number of things that are a constant annoyance. I appreciate most of these points have been mentioned before, but id love to hear every one else's experience. This is my 3rd Audi, with my previous one being a 2016 Manual A6 Avant.

1) The constant lag of the gearbox and the time it takes to respond. I know this has been discussed at length on the various forums, and the only way around this seems to be to put the car into 'dynamic' mode, but this ends up holding gears for too long expecting sudden acceleration changes like on a track!

2) The stop start system. On the old manual model this works fine, however, the new model with the 'engine turns off when coasting feature' ends up turning the car off when approaching a junction, so when trying to pull out, the engine needs to kick in, then the bad, slow gearbox takes an age to respond. This has caused many close calls on roundabouts when trying to pull out quickly!

3) I also HATE the lane departure feature- as do many others it seems! As had been written elsewhere, trying to overtake cyclists, avoid puddles potholes results in the car swerving back into the centre of the road and hitting whatever it was you were trying to avoid. This also fails in contraflows and gets confused with hatch markings on roads. I religiously turn this off when I get in the car but I also wish there was a way to turn this off permanently!!!

4) The rear camera wash button on the screen when reversing doesn't actually clean the rear camera! This is linked to the rear windscreen wash system, but one press on the button doesn't release enough liquid to actually cover the camera. Its not as simple as to 'hold' the button or press twice, as it cycles the rear wiper too which takes 2-3 seconds before the button can be pushed again. The only way to effectively clean this is to operate the rear wiper.

5) The windscreen demist and blower system on maximum capacity takes an age to actually do anything. On the previous model, it had 12 settings, however, on the new model, this only had 6 settings with the maximum setting being nowhere near powerful enough.

6) The windscreen wiper automatic sense just isn't as good as the last model. In the old A6, this would always be on the 'automatic' setting, but now, it just doesn't 'wipe' enough to clear the rain from the screen. The 'frequency' adjust button on the stalk also doesn't actually seem to do anything.

7) I also have that annoying 'rattle' behind the dashboard which most people seem to have experienced! Mine seems to appear whenever I accelerate reasonably quickly and sounds like its behind the glove box. Did anyone ever get an answer to this?

8) I have various annoyances and pet hates with the satnav/ user interface. Things like the ability to 'write' the destination in always replacing a 'G' with a '6' or a 'g' with a french 'ç'. There are also other things like the voice recognition not understanding and the voice responding sounding like an alien. Ford, Vauxhall, Merc, BMW can make the response voice work but Audi seem to struggle!

9) Door handles sticking as per plenty other posts on here

I could go on with other little things, but I think this is enough for now! I'd love to hear peoples experiences!
I have the 50 but fully agree with your post.

Morning 'The Saints'. Sorry for putting you off, however, I've had mine for 3 months now and genuinely HATE it. This is my 3rd Audi (2016 A4 then a 2016 A6 Avant) and this is definitely the last. Yes, it looks gorgeous, but that's it. The functions and features are rubbish, the engine and gearbox are pathetic and its full of faults, niggles and badly designed stuff. I wish someone had advised me before I collected mine and I'd have changed it to the equivalent Merc or Jag. I contacted Audi about this and the 'soonest' they could have a look at this was in a months time- pathetic.

I'd honestly reconsider, i really would. I'll be making a video of the raft of problems these cars have got an uploading to youtube. I'll let you know when this happens! I genuinely mean it- if you can get your money back, please please please do- you'll hate every second of owning the car like I do.

Thanks RL1988...I’d be interested in seeing your video but am already committed to purchase but am a little apprehensive now and they may need to prise the S3 from me.
Hopefully I’ll have a little more luck with mine but amazed Audi has not ironed out these issues yet given that this model has been out a while now

And I assume it doesnt work!?
It depends what you define as "work". To be honest until you mentioned it I was unaware it existed and had always used the rear washer. I tried it this morning and it works fine to clear a light build up of dirty water on the lens accrued during the journey to work. Would it clear a serious build up of mud having driven extensively down muddy lanes, probably not, but I dpn't think that was the designers intentiona nd remember if you have the saloon you don't get the washer at all.

To some of the other points you raised. I notice that like me you came to the C8 from a manual C7, this is the first auto I have owned and I found it took a fair bit of time to adapt.

Regarding the sluggish acceleration, I have found it better put the drive system into Comfort but if I think I am going to need to make a quick getaway I put the transmission into Sport mode, this also diables the stop start system. As soon as I am moving I put the transmission back into normal Drive mode and this avoids the long gear holds if you ave the Drive system set to Dynamic. I have also got very adept at giving the accelerator a quick tap to restart the engine when in traffic so I am not waiting for the stop start to activate and then drive off, as simply pressing the accelerator to treat the restart and acceleration as a single process seems to cause increased transmission pick-up delay. I think this was the biggest change I noticed coming from a manual car where depressing the clutch restarted the engine.

Unfortunately things like Lane Assist are increasingly being mandated by legislation to supposedly improve safety and are required if cars are to achieve the highest safety scores with NCAP and others. Hence they cannot be disabled permanently as a feature (maybe possible with something like VCDS but that is not condonned by the manufacturer)

I agree with Sam77 that the car can be great but there are some aspects that clearly were released into the market before they had been properly developed and tested. I am guessing that in part was connected with Dieselgate, bith taking development resources away from finishing car development and Audi not wanting to certify cars due for imminent replacement under the new emmissions scheme given both the cost of doing it and the huge backlog of other newer cars that needed to be certified

I had an A5 loan car on Tuesday and I was more than happy to get back in to my A6

I must have won the C8 A6 lottery, because I don't have any of these problems it seems! No dash rattles, RSAP works fine (on Note 8 and Note 10), no sticky door handles, no issue with half locking door.

I've had 2 previous auto A6's, so I'm probably used to any sluggishness, but I can't say it hampers me at all.

The only issue I've had was that the black edition window trim seems to have developed a paint fault on the rear offside quarter panel window surround, which is getting replaced by my local dealer tomorrow.

Also, the mpg is terrible on my 45TFSI Quattro...but that's probably down to my "enthusiastic" driving style haha!

I have a problem where the lane assist, high beam assist, auto lights and the collision detection error alarms go off randomly.

I have a problem where the lane assist, high beam assist, auto lights and the collision detection error alarms go off randomly.

I forgot to add that also. Sometimes it is because of the sensor not having a clear view however there have been multiple occasions where its been a clear, sunny and dry but it still disables the features and I get an addition amber warning triangle illuminated on the dash which suggests more than just a lack of sight.

Thanks for all the comments- its good to hear from you all. I've obviously contacted Audi Executive UK and as I imagined, hot the typical 'political' response. I appreciate this email is long, but I thought I would post both my email and the Audi response below! I've taken out the bit where I explained all the faults- its the same text as my first post on here!

"""Dear Rosetta,

Following on from the email chain below, I thought I would further update you and add to my already exhaustive list of 'issues and problems' with the A6. I appreciate I had a call from your Executive office explaining that some things from my list wasn't seen as a 'fault' but more of a 'design issue', however, since my email, I have noticed a couple more points I would like to raise.

FAULTS HERE!

Because of this and the above/ below email, I called my local Audi dealership (Oxford, not where I bought the car from), explained some of the details and they said they'd have a look and would need the car for 2/3 days. Obviously living an hour from the dealership, I need a courtesy car, however, apparently the soonest they could get this booked in was a month away on 24th March. Is this really the best service Audi can offer?! This is supposed to be a 'premium' brand, and nothing I've seen so far since buying this car has been 'premium!'.

As I have explained before, this is my 3rd Audi and I've never felt the need to complain before, and have always been a big advocate for Audi, however, given the past 3 months, how is this expected to continue?! Rather than promote the brand and show the car off, i'm happy to actively show people the numerous problems, design flaws, and let them experience the range of issues this 'Premium' car has!! """

And the response.........

"""Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email dated 25 February to Audi UK.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are currently experiencing with your Audi A6. I appreciate that expectations of reliability and build quality are high when customers purchase an Audi and that any failure is therefore disappointing. Whilst we take pride in producing our vehicles, like any vehicle manufacturer, we cannot guarantee that the many components which go into the complex build of an Audi will never fail.

I understand that you have contacted Oxford Audi to book your vehicle in so that they can investigate the concerns you have raised, but they are unable to provide a courtesy vehicle until 24 March.

Please be advised that if Oxford Audi do not have a courtesy vehicle available until this time Audi UK would not be able to provide a replacement vehicle any sooner.

Out network of dedicated Audi UK centres can take bookings months in advance and are not always able to guarantee what date a courtesy vehicle will be available.

I can contact Oxford Audi and ask that they contact you directly should a courtesy vehicle become available sooner.

Alternatively if you would like your vehicle to be seen sooner I can advise contacting an alternative Audi UK centre.

You can locate an alternative Audi UK centre at https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/locate-a-centre.html.

I appreciate that this is not the response you had anticipated when you contacted Audi UK but I can assure you that we will always do all we can to assist our valuable customers.

Audi Executive UK.

Typical corporate load of b***ocks with no care at all. Can you imagine getting the same response from a Proper executive car company?! As promised, I will be recording the video over the next few days and will hopefully be able to edit this into something meaningful and will post the link!

Story to be continued...and the advice stays the same........PLEASE DONT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

Wow, this is an eye opener!
I have the chance of a good lease deal on a A6 Allroad. I have not committed yet but this really is giving me doubts.
It looks like I will continue to get the 530D touring instead, as many of you seem to have a lot of problems with the A6, which is a real shame as the all road to me looks a great car.

RL1988 I am also assuming you have not got any of your problems sorted out too, due to the virus problem we have at present?

Hi all, The garage took the A6 back, replaced both mirrors, all the dash and reset all of the MMI. The rattle under the dash was sorted and the mirrors I currently have done bulge. everything else however was put down as 'not broken'- i.e, this is how it was designed.

The only good thing about the virus is the fact I don't have to drive the stupid thing much now and it sits on the drive! Honestly, please dont buy one- dont make the same mistake. The BMW wtouring would be a far better option and I WISH i had done that too!

Hi RL1988, thank you for your reply.
This is a real dilemma for me as the lease deal is very good (equates to about 17.5%) deal over 24 months.
I also have a BMW 530D deal (not as good as the allroad about 23% and about £50 a month more) which I was going to cancel when I committed to the A6 allroad but all these problems with the A6 has shocked me somewhat.
But do I live with the niggles for two years (if of course I get them but from what I read what will happen) for the £50 a month less?

I have turned off the coast efficiency option and it has helped with the lag.

Reactions: Sean Byrne
Apparently there is a software update out now that sorts the turbo lag out.
This is on another forum but he had his done on Tuesday and he is reporting this has made the car so much better to drive.
I would contact your dealer and get it booked in and hopefully it will make your car the car it should have been from the start.

Apparently there is a software update out now that sorts the turbo lag out.
This is on another forum but he had his done on Tuesday and he is reporting this has made the car so much better to drive.
I would contact your dealer and get it booked in and hopefully it will make your car the car it should have been from the start.
It’s supposedly going to sort out all the alarms also. Swansea Audi told me they were waiting for it and will call the cars back. One of the members here told us it will be out for week 14, bang on lockdown.

My latest issue - Currently stuck in the car park of a petrol station with Audi Assist on their way with an empty tank and the fuel flap sealed shut.

Last edited:
Sounds like the actuator problem that was common on the c7. Had hoped they had sorted it for the c8. Maybe not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sucks, what was wrong with it in the end?
Sounds like the actuator problem that was common on the c7. Had hoped they had sorted it for the c8. Maybe not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you are correct the actuator had failed. The tech is coming back today with a number of parts to replace. They did manage to get it open eventually so I was able to refuel and make the journey home.