My baby is up on axle stands :(

slydog18

N88GGY S3
Reaction score
My noggy upset me on Thursday by failing the M.O.T. !!! It failed on both front Top suspension mounts with the usual excess play, N/S Rack gaiter split, O/S Rear shock lower bush. Was well disappointed and even more upset when I could only get the rear shock bush done as a complete shock replacement, I only do shocks or springs as pairs which makes it more expensive.

My parts contact at an Audi dealer fairly close to me gives me a discount so I ordered the following:-

2 rear shocks,
2 Front Top Mounts,
2 Front Top mount bearings,
1 rack gaiter,
1 large clip for gaiter (but decided to use cable ties as easier),
1 Front wheel bearing as weird noise coming from O/S/F,

Service due so i also got:-

5L Quantum Oil (not longlife),
Oil filter,
Air filter,
Cabin Filter,
Spark plugs,
New Sump plug with washer.

And one of the nice men also reset my service interval as i thought it was on longlife but turned out to be on fixed.

All in all its costing about £350 which i think is not too bad for OEM parts.

I have fitted the top mounts and bearings and the rack gaiter (which looked melted for some odd reason!) today, will finish service tomorrow. Was gonna do bearing but run out of time and also dont have a 17mm Allen key for Hub bolt. Pick up rear shocks on Tuesday after work and will have to come home and fit at least one for the M.O.T. that night or if I have time, both.

I am kinda hoping that the weird noise might have been the top mounts and I dont have to replace bearing yet, but not too optimistic.

Will also get Haldex spanner, oil and filter and probably replace them at weekend.

Also noticed my Wishbone bushes coming away from housing so will get some polybushes soon i think.

And i noticed that my panel filter is a Pipercross, which is nice, so I can return the air filter.

Fun times Eh?

​You will soon have it fixed. :)

Sounds like your having fun lol,

I managed to undo a 17mm allen key bolt using and old 17mm wheel nut that fitted in the hole with enough space to fit a ring spanner over it and undo it that way.

Also if your going to all the effort to do that nice work you could have a go at the oil pick up piper if its not been done on your car yet. I did mine at home on axle stands and it wasnt that hard and well worth it considering how much it costs if it goes wrong.

Rob

Reactions: dre_S3
sorry to hear about that bad news bro but chin up and soon things will get sorted and be back at ace cafe!!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Gops
Did you not put lcr top mounts on?

Did not realise that was the done thing. Not bothered really as car is on standard suspension and will probably get dropped in the future. Also not sure if I could get discount from Seat dealer and dont think I wanna go non original route as car only has 63000miles. Although I am doing the work myself I reckon that if I keep a diary of all the work done with all the receipts it is as good as full history.

Any way car is back on the road now. Just gotta tackle the rear shocks on Tuesday :(

Glad its back on the road must feel loads better with the work you have done

****** Audi dealers! Shocks were supposed to be there today but they didnt turn up. Now gotta shuffle everything around and use Zafira for work tomorrow!

Car does feel a tiny bit tighter but to be honest I think the guy was being a bit Anal and they werent that bad. I did notice the oval wear in the mounts. Was hoping it would cure a slight pull to the left but no joy. 4 wheel tracking when I have done the wishbone bushes and bearing me thinks.