My bonnet won't open

voteforpedro

Reaction score
It clunks open and the lever pushes out but it won't release the bonnet. How do I open it without resorting to ripping off my nice new facelift grill?:aggressive:

Ended up pulling the grill off without damaging it. The catch wasn't releasing the whole way with the grill on, which is odd. Sprayed some WD40 on the catch mechanism so hopefully it will be OK now...

pop some grease on it, the WD40 doesn't have much staying power.

perhaps bend the release catch a little so that it gets more leverage (i.e. bend it down). when i put my badgeless grille on (which has no cutout for the lever) i had to bend the lever right down, so i now pull it from under the bottom / leading edge of the bonnet.

i must admit, not being able to get the bonnet open is a major panic.

i must admit, not being able to get the bonnet open is a major panic.

After changing the thermostat on my old Golf, which is a whole front end off job, next time I came to open the bonnet I realised I forgot to reattach the release cable...........

some **** snapped the end of the release toggle off when I had some paintwork done, you need tiny fingers to grab it now!!

After changing the thermostat on my old Golf, which is a whole front end off job, next time I came to open the bonnet I realised I forgot to reattach the release cable...........

its that sinking feeling as you drop the bonnet that's the worst. You know you're gonna have to break something to get it open again.

Afternoon all,

Could someone please send me the details for removing the grill, i've just realised my bonnet wont open, same symptoms as voteforpedro.

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Just registered and thought I should add my comments as I just had this problem.

My 2000 A4 would pop to the safety latch but the bonnet release catch was seized.

To get the bonnet open I gently removed the chrome trim around the front grille. It has clips on the inner side so gently prize the outer egde with your fingers till it all comes away.

Then remove the front grille by pulling the top out. You may need to use a flat head screwdriver to help with this so use some card so as to not damage the bonnet. It will eventually pop out and the catches that hold it in shouldn't be damaged. If you see where the catches are you can push them down as you pull the grille forward, that might help.

The bottom of the grille does not pop out, you lift the grill up and out once the top comes free.

Then you can easily see up to the catch, spay it with WD40 or release agent and it will eventually loosen up.

Then just grease up the mechanism so it won't happen again.

Took mine (unbroken) to the stealers for a service a while back and they had the cheek to inform me when I picked it the bonnet catch is broken and its £90 to have a new one fitted ...... cheeky ^%$£$^&*&*(&*'s. So I wrote a nice email to the Groups MD and had a new one fitted FOC.
Works ok now :p
Michael