My car must think its Christmas

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
Been a bit quiet on here lately for me with one thing and another happening and kind of falling out of love with the A3 a bit!. it's needed a fair bit of work and was starting to become a bit of a pain in the ****... bangs, clunks, slipping clutch... generally a bit crap. Exhaust knocking the bottom of the car thanks to a stupid driveway I had to go in.

Anyway, approaching 100K... car feeling like crap... dirty...fed up. In the last few weeks I've given myself a kick up the ****...

New clutch - solid fly conversion - NO MORE CLUTCH SLIP! - it was like having over active traction control
New ball joints - no more clunking
Exhaust re-hung - it was a PITA but its sorted now... no more clobbering
New oil and filter.... it must be at least 20K since I last did it... I know naughty naughty but its now got lovely fresh Mobil 1 in it.
New plugs - old ones were in OK shape but new ones were fitted
Power steering fluid topped up - it was nearly off the bottom of the level!
Throttle body and MAF cleaned

Gave it a good clean, clay polish and wax yesterday and its looking loved again..... and driving the best it has in a very long time :D

Nice to have it back to normal!

Tell me about it!

Off to stretch its legs now over to North Wales to my folks place... lovely empty twisty roads to enjoy..ahhh!

No pics yet mate, i'l try and get some by the beach tomorrow 

Sadly no pictures now as the car got T boned this morning :( low speed but front wing, door and rear quarter on the drivers side damaged.

Gutted, managed to avoid going turbo on the girl driving the other car, she's asmitted
Liability so hopefully it won't get written off!

Grrr

Yeah no ones hurt Jo so that's ok. The girls family are from the same place my folks live and my mum knows her parents. She was very upset so I couldn't blow my top at her.

Spoken to my insurance company and it's being picked up tomorrow from my house so it's all getting sorted. I could just do without it, but low speed so the damage should be repairable.

204235b6.jpg

60913223.jpg

dcba0def.jpg

a5d2a4e9.jpg

c6b1e3eb.jpg

Front wing might be saved, the door has popped out but have 2 deep lines and the rear quarter is pretty mashed... Deep joy.

Hate to say it Tom, but that needs a door, wing, and a new quarter panel, plus the whole side spraying.

Sounds like a £1500 repair bill (min) on a car that's now worth £1500 :(

Sad times indeed, yours was a mint example

If anyone knows where I can pick up an S3 for the cash I'll get from the insurance company I'm all ears :(

I'm gutted to be honest, really gutted. I'll have to wait and see what they do with regards to repair/writing it off. Its being picked up tomorrow.

I've just got back from Wales and if they do write it off I'll be ****ing upset as it drives/goes and stops so well.

Check out my gap...

a3aacea2.jpg

I really hope they dont write it off!!. I'll buy it back if they do!

That's a write off, my a4 was hit on the quater panel with far less damage than that and I was getting quotes of 1k and my car would have been worth about £800. If that A3 is valued at 1.5k then your going to wave it good by tomorrow.

If you what it repaired and not scrapped then don't allow the insurance to take it away tomorrow, as it still drivable get your own quotes and send them to the insurace company, or discuss a settlement figure!

You could buy a silver wing & door off eBay for less than £100 and then get a dent guy to remove the worst of the quater panel and then a body shop to finish repair.

Oh... and the only damage to the other vehicle...

1a9913d3.jpg

Typical.... its about £200 quids worth of ****ty old T reg Corsa.

I'd value the car about about £2500 to be fair, Full service history, leather.. every option, 97K... who knows.

Good advise on keeping the car and get your own quotes....like said its wrote off, but you can buy it back and get it repaired at your leisure it will only be a cat d...

I'm sure if they collect the car tomorrow it wont be an issue getting it back if they write it off. I'll have a chat with them tomorrow and wont let them have it back if they sound like its going to get the chop!

Even then insurance company's will only repair a maximum % of the cars value, the damage to that car = write off. Your looking at resprayng over 50% of the car as most insurance approved body shops will want to blend in the new paint work. So new wing, door, rear quarter panel and new paint would equal the value of the car. The only cheap way is second hand parts and bash out the quater panel, which my guess is the insurance company won't allow.

:(

I shall wait and see then.... I'm down a good car because some stupid cow driving a ****box Corsa is having a bad day and doesnt look before turning into oncoming traffic.

Do I get market guide price for the car from the insurace co if they write it off?. I've never had to claim before!

I'm sure if they collect the car tomorrow it wont be an issue getting it back if they write it off. I'll have a chat with them tomorrow and wont let them have it back if they sound like its going to get the chop!

Good luck on that, my old man lost his scirocco that way. They don't have to give you the car back if it's being writen off, and once they get there claws into in then it's bye bye A3. Not trying to be tw@t about this just trying to warn you.

One example below

Legalities of buying car back after being written off

Good luck on that, my old man lost his scirocco that way. They don't have to give you the car back if it's being writen off, and once they get there claws into in then it's bye bye A3. Not trying to be tw@t about this just trying to warn you.

One example below

Legalities of buying car back after being written off

I know mate its cool :)

I've never had to go through this before because I've never had a bump before and had to sort it out. I'll give them a call back first thing tomorrow and see what the crack is with buy backs etc. I have till 1pm to sort it!

They will come back with a shi!te offer, don't except it you need to be finding examples on autotrader and eBay, and present that information. Also get photos of you car to show how good the condition of the car is and how hard it would be to find another A+ example.

They will come back with a shi!te offer, don't except it you need to be finding examples on autotrader and eBay, and present that information. Also get photos of you car to show how good the condition of the car is and how hard it would be to find another A+ example.

I will do mate, I'll do it tomorrow. I also have a file about a foot thick with every invoice for everything on the car... ever!. So I'll fight as hard as I can. Looking at the link you posted though it looks like the car is still mine till I accept a settlement offer from them.. so I suppose I can use that to my advantage for a while if needs be.

When speaking to them on the phone today I told them it was an X reg etc and not worth much but they made no mention of a possible write off.. but then again I suppose the dudes on the phone dont know whats involved in putting it right!

Yes but if you accept an offer then unless stated you won't get the car back, you also don't know were it's going to be kept & treated. My local scrap yard moves cars around with fork lifts, even the ones that still have unsettled claims, they treat them like sh!t, as it's just another car not their pride & joy.

They also won't give a stuff on the end of the phone they just enter details into a computer, then answer the next call. To you and me it's a rare event to them it's just another crash.

Hope you get sorted.

I've spoken to the insurance again this morning and told them I'm worried about it being taken away and left in some ****hole yard getting punted about with forklifts etc etc. The chap said its going to a bodyshop.. so there wont be any need for it to be moved other than with keys.

I also said I want to know where and when the assessor is going to be looking at it.... so I can be there. I also asked about the option of getting the cash and sorting it myself or worst case buying the car back if it is written off.... but at the moment it needs to be inspected and have the job quoted.

shiit this begun as such as happy thread! :( feel for u mate ive been there 3 times now and it sucks big time. Never gets easier... Just hang in there and be persistant with the insurance companies

This is just the icing on the cake mate...

Currently I have the following going on:

Off sick due to breaking a bone in my hand fighting with **** drinking wife beating scumbag at wotk... so I have a hand full of metal rods... and need another operation in November and loads of physio

Buying a house with the GF... although she went ape over something last week and walked out after 3 years... so all thats going on too.

Its just one thing after another, I worked on the car for the last week or so to take my mind off things a bit as my garage is my sanctuary where I do most of my thinking.

This just tops it off!

****** hell i dunno what to say mate. On a side note they do say **** comes in 3's do this should be the end of it!

My courtesy car has just arrived. Brand new Mercedes B160.... and I have to say its a true horror to drive. Vague, slow... crap slush box automatic... it couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.

properly **** :(

I know you love your car dude, and I know it's a mint one with high spec, but it's never worth £2500 in a million years :(

£3k buys you an S3 now, £2K buys you a facelift A3 on 100k or less, pre facelifts just arn't worth anything, can be had for as little as £1k in reasonable condition!

Ins Co's will go on the book value of the model, and don't give a crap about condition or optional extras, hence why I say it's worth £1500 tops :(

Really sorry to hear all the bad luck your having, makes you wonder if things happen for a reason, if you hadn't of sorted your car out would you of been there when the woman pulled out? Fingers crossed you get a decent outcome, you deserve it.

Kai

£3k will get you a snotter from what I've seen. They're all way too leggy for me :(

properly **** :(

I know you love your car dude, and I know it's a mint one with high spec, but it's never worth £2500 in a million years :(

£3k buys you an S3 now, £2K buys you a facelift A3 on 100k or less, pre facelifts just arn't worth anything, can be had for as little as £1k in reasonable condition!

Ins Co's will go on the book value of the model, and don't give a crap about condition or optional extras, hence why I say it's worth £1500 tops :(

When i crashed my 1.8TQ they quoted me £2000 and £2500 if i could provide service history. So they do take some notice about that sort of stuff.

Also if it is a write off take all ur wheels etc off and put some crappy stealies on it. If its at a half decent repair company theyll let u do it anyway