My carbon wrapping efforts....

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
My 3m carbon wrap supplies arrived today so I cracked on this arvo....

B posts done...

4560950959_66df5b88d5.jpg

4561581120_1525db4ce9.jpg

Grill surround...

4560954673_7442e7887b.jpg

Dash mid fitting....

4560956895_d1662c762b.jpg

ash tray..

4561587276_130406654a.jpg

Done...

4560961401_640bb9fc3e.jpg

:)

That looks really classy, as opposed to many other carbon wraps I've seen... Good job buddy.

Is that actual carbon fibre then, or just a sticker? If so, how do you stick it down and how have you found it for moulding round complex curves?

Tom, how on earth do you get the B-pillars off?

Mine could do with a paint (or wrap!) but I've got no idea how to get them off to do so!

Looks awesome mate, I really like that.

How much was the carbon wrap?

good job that Tom....impressive fella...you really have the patience that i dont possess :)

:respekt: Tom... blinding job there dude!!!

Its 3M Di-noc so its vinyl :)

Cut it roughly to size, peel off the backing and give it a blast with a heat gun...you can then stretch it over whatever you want to cover (within reason). Its good stuff but you do need to get some heat into it to get it to go where you want it to.

Prawn - they were left on the car for rapping :). I managed to get it all the way around using my bank card to poke it behind the cover if that makes sense (by the rear windows) and then down behind the door seal on the other side. I did spot 2 pop rivets holding the black covers on so I think to remove the covers you have to get drilling. If you push the door seal out the way you'll see the rivets.

T

nice work tom. is that the *real touch effect* carbon vinyl off Ebay?? ummed and arreed at that shizzle when i sprayed my center console.

Top points for tom, that looks shweeet!

EDIT: ahh yeh it is that ebay stuff... you answered as i wrote this thread. :) :icon_thumright:

Oh and I got a 1200mm by 600mm sheet for 30 quid off the bay...still have about half left. I could do my mirrors but the be honest I think less is more with this stuff...I like the subtle look :)

Oh and I got a 1200mm by 600mm sheet for 30 quid off the bay...still have about half left. I could do my mirrors but the be honest I think less is more with this stuff...I like the subtle look :)

you could do a few under bonnet wraps mate. keep it subtle also

I might make a big 'S3' sticker out of it and put it on the back jas :)

As for the sunlight is should be fine, 3M say its for exterior use on buildings etc so fingers crossed it'll be OK :)

Just had a thought, I could wrap my grill like you've done n if I don't like it, I can just peel it off again. As I noticed they do all kinds of colours.
Saves destroying the chrome.

that looks awesome tom really like it mate well done:hubbahubba:

Tom that looks brilliant. I really, really want to wrap my piano black inlays, but I'm scared...

Nothing to be scared of mate, its easy. Just take the inlays off and get busy with it. The grill was one long strip...place the surrounf onto it and cut around it. That means that the surround is wrapped in one bit so there are no joins... simples :)

Its easy to get off too. I wrapped the surround as the black paint was stonechipped to buggery, the stuff seems really tough so shouldnt get too damaged by stones etc.

WOW! that looks awesome, good effort! i was contemplating doing these bits to mine and maybe the roof! does it look as good in real life to how it does in the pictures?

cheers will

Nothing to be scared of mate, its easy. Just take the inlays off and get busy with it. The grill was one long strip...place the surrounf onto it and cut around it. That means that the surround is wrapped in one bit so there are no joins... simples :)

Its easy to get off too. I wrapped the surround as the black paint was stonechipped to buggery, the stuff seems really tough so shouldnt get too damaged by stones etc.

Right mate you've convinced me, I'm gonna give this a go. I'm gonna see if I can pick up some cheap wooden trims and use them. I got a sample from 3m last year sometime and it is good stuff!

Looks good Tom. £30 a sheet is a bargain. I've got the next week off work so I'm going to order some. I'll probably end up wrapping everything I own in carbon fibre though. :)

Very nice, not to sure on the grill surround though, do they do the wrap in plain mat black, I've had my grill black for a couple of months and it's got a few stone chips already, would be interested in wrapping it black.

Bet you did Tim you chav :laugh: haha.

Looks spot on Tom. Wonder what the charge pipe would look like wrapped? *Hint Hint* :)

Now thats a thought, wonder if its heat proof.

S£;975376 said:
Very nice, not to sure on the grill surround though, do they do the wrap in plain mat black, I've had my grill black for a couple of months and it's got a few stone chips already, would be interested in wrapping it black.

Yeh apparantly you can get it in all kinds of colours including matt black.

Just orded a small piece of this 100 x 200 for a couple quid to see what its like.

I wouldnt do anything that gets hot guys as it'll melt. It goes very stretchy when you heat it with a heat gun so it would be a no no for the charge pipe :)

Just ordered 2x1.5 metres of it! hope im as good as you are at applying it lol!

Looks great I think and you have me thinking of what I can do next with it...

The grill was one long strip...place the surrounf onto it and cut around it. That means that the surround is wrapped in one bit so there are no joins... simples

Did you have a sheet long enough to just cut the shape of the grill out or was it a long strip that can bend around the corners with the heat gun?

I placed the grill surround on the material and then drew around it, then cut the middle out of it and then applied it...cutting off the excess as I went so its not one long strip that I've bent around. I didnt want a join on it :)

Looks great I think and you have me thinking of what I can do next with it...

Did you have a sheet long enough to just cut the shape of the grill out or was it a long strip that can bend around the corners with the heat gun?

I think he cut the whole shape out the sheet as there were no joins n think the sheet he got was 1200mm by 600 so more than enough.

EDIT: Was 23 minutes too slow lol. Atleast I was right :D