My DIY Guide for Retro Fitting Foot well lights

Hi just had full retro lighting kit fitted to my 8p rs3 supplied by Robina3, fitted by trups
Wiring looms were perfect all fitted well couldn't tell any difference oem look to all the looms , led lights fitted throughout from front to back also fitted rear footwell lights number plate LEDs all four doors and Celin lights thanks guys great good would recommend to anyone

This afternoon i decided to retro fit some foot well lights, there are a few guides on the internet knocking around but i thought i'd do my own as i see there are many posts - including one from me - on how to do this retro fit.

From start to finish it took me about an hour to do, longest part was soldering the connectors onto the wiring.

First of all before i start the guide i would just like to mention that it was a bit of a mission getting hold of the correct electrical connectors but i have now got a number of them all therefore i am able to make wiring 'looms' for this retro fit to make it basically plug and play (apart from needing VAG-COM to turn the function on).

If anyone is interested then i am able to supply all the wiring, electrical connectors, plastic connectors and the actual lights as a 'kit'. The connectors have been soldered on and all you need to do is to connect everything up once its all in place, the length of the wires are all correct as well so no messing around for yourself.
FootLoom.jpg

puddleloom.jpg

If you are interested please pm me.

Right now for the guide.

First off you will NEED vag-com program the controller so that it knows there are footwell lights fitted.

To do this go to Group 09 and change Byte 00 Bit 2 to Position 1.

Now for the monkey work bit of the process.

Remove the 2 screws underneath the steering wheel trim, you'll need to get down and get your head underneath to see them.

footlight1.jpg

Next remove the fuse box cover on the side of the dash, i used a screwdriver to lever it off.

Undo the screw at the top which holds on the steering wheel trim.

footlight2.jpg

Now pull the trim away from the dash, it is clipped in at the top where it meets the dash, this needs a bit of force but make sure you pull it away from the dash towards the back of the car rather than levering it upwards as the clips may break.

Now unclip the electrical connectors from the headlight switch and remove the OBD plug at the bottom of the trim.

footlight3.jpg

The trim panel can now be removed.

Now poke your head up in the foot well and look up for the bunch of electrical connectors, you'll see a red tab, push that and that will release the connectors.

footlight6.jpg

Now use a torch and look for connector 'B'. It will be a black connector with only 4 or 5 wires going to it. Push the clip in on the connector and remove it from the main wiring block.

On the back of that black connector there are some numbers which indicates which pin is which, look for the hole number 7, it should be empty, this is the positive feed for the lights, on the side of the plug there is a bit of pink plastic, use a screwdriver to lever it away from the connector, this holds the pins in place, plug the connector of the loom into this hole, make sure it goes into No.7 hole because its virtually impossible to remove the wire from the plug once its in without the correct depinning tool.

Once you are happy with the connector, push the pink clip back into the connector and plug the connector back in to the main wiring block, remember to push the red tab back so it locks the connectors in place.

This is the feed sorted now, now you need to earth the wiring, i used a bolt behind the steering wheel, i undid the bolt and then tightened it back up with the earth wire trapped between the head of the bolt and the car.

footlight12.jpg

Now its time for the passenger side.

Remove the side panel on the side of the dash as on the drivers side.

Undo all the screws holding on the glovebox, there are 2 underneath in the footwell, 4or 5 underneath the inside of the glovebox, one inside of the glove box at the back and one at the side of the glove box.

footlight13.jpg

Let the glovebox drop down, you can remove the glovebox by disconnecting the connector one the glovebox but you will get a airbag fault warning on the dash afterwards as the connector feeds the airbag switch in the glovebox, this fault can be cleared using VAG COM. I removed the glove box completely for better access but it can kept on the floor to do the job but its more fiddly if you don't want to have to clear faults on the car.

footlight8.jpg

Now you'll need to get the wiring to the passenger side footwell, i used a coat hanger and from the passenger side pushed it through to the drivers side just behind the stereo and taped the wire to the hanger and then pulled it through.

footlight9.jpg

footlight10.jpg

footlight11.jpg

Once its pulled through you now need to push the connectors at the end of the wires into the plastic plug for the light.

Now connect the plug to the light.

Hopefully the light will now work assuming the vag com setting has been completed, if it doesn't work then you may need to put the ignition on and then turn it off again. If it still does not work then check the connections and earth points.

footlight7.jpg

Once everything is working disconnect the lights and put back all the trim and glovebox etc.

Once its all done (making sure you haven't got any bolts left over) pull the connectors through the hole where the lights sit into the bottom of the trim, connect them up to the lights and push the lights into their location.

footlight14.jpg

And there you have it, foot well lights.

footlight16.jpg

footlight15.jpg

I'll be doing the puddle lights and warning lights tomorrow so i will post a guide up on how to do that and if anyone is interested i could create a 'kit' up so it will be plug and play assuming its an easy job but looking at the wiring diagram it looks pretty easy.
Looks like you done a good job with the foot well lights well done wish I could do that don't seem to have time to do anything nowadays

Hi Guys, question here please. Cant really see from the picture.
Am driving an A4 07 Cabriolet.

Tried looking for this, "Now use a torch and look for connector 'B'. It will be a black connector with only 4 or 5 wires going to it. Push the clip in on the connector and remove it from the main wiring block."

Is this part of a wiring block that located at the back, which starts with, "A 1 2 3 4 5 B 6"?
Looks like B was a relay kind of thing?

Charlie your A4 does not have the same wiring at the A3, from memory your A4 footwell lights are wired up like the B6/7 chassis which is very much different to the A3, if you are interested in a footwell kit for your car then drop me a pm and I can see what I can do.

The statement is correct. You need error free bulbs or lights for your 2009 car.

This afternoon i decided to retro fit some foot well lights, there are a few guides on the internet knocking around but i thought i'd do my own as i see there are many posts - including one from me - on how to do this retro fit.

From start to finish it took me about an hour to do, longest part was soldering the connectors onto the wiring.

First of all before i start the guide i would just like to mention that it was a bit of a mission getting hold of the correct electrical connectors but i have now got a number of them all therefore i am able to make wiring 'looms' for this retro fit to make it basically plug and play (apart from needing VAG-COM to turn the function on).

If anyone is interested then i am able to supply all the wiring, electrical connectors, plastic connectors and the actual lights as a 'kit'. The connectors have been soldered on and all you need to do is to connect everything up once its all in place, the length of the wires are all correct as well so no messing around for yourself.
FootLoom.jpg

puddleloom.jpg

If you are interested please pm me.

Right now for the guide.

First off you will NEED vag-com program the controller so that it knows there are footwell lights fitted.

To do this go to Group 09 and change Byte 00 Bit 2 to Position 1.

Now for the monkey work bit of the process.

Remove the 2 screws underneath the steering wheel trim, you'll need to get down and get your head underneath to see them.

footlight1.jpg

Next remove the fuse box cover on the side of the dash, i used a screwdriver to lever it off.

Undo the screw at the top which holds on the steering wheel trim.

footlight2.jpg

Now pull the trim away from the dash, it is clipped in at the top where it meets the dash, this needs a bit of force but make sure you pull it away from the dash towards the back of the car rather than levering it upwards as the clips may break.

Now unclip the electrical connectors from the headlight switch and remove the OBD plug at the bottom of the trim.

footlight3.jpg

The trim panel can now be removed.

Now poke your head up in the foot well and look up for the bunch of electrical connectors, you'll see a red tab, push that and that will release the connectors.

footlight6.jpg

Now use a torch and look for connector 'B'. It will be a black connector with only 4 or 5 wires going to it. Push the clip in on the connector and remove it from the main wiring block.

On the back of that black connector there are some numbers which indicates which pin is which, look for the hole number 7, it should be empty, this is the positive feed for the lights, on the side of the plug there is a bit of pink plastic, use a screwdriver to lever it away from the connector, this holds the pins in place, plug the connector of the loom into this hole, make sure it goes into No.7 hole because its virtually impossible to remove the wire from the plug once its in without the correct depinning tool.

Once you are happy with the connector, push the pink clip back into the connector and plug the connector back in to the main wiring block, remember to push the red tab back so it locks the connectors in place.

This is the feed sorted now, now you need to earth the wiring, i used a bolt behind the steering wheel, i undid the bolt and then tightened it back up with the earth wire trapped between the head of the bolt and the car.

footlight12.jpg

Now its time for the passenger side.

Remove the side panel on the side of the dash as on the drivers side.

Undo all the screws holding on the glovebox, there are 2 underneath in the footwell, 4or 5 underneath the inside of the glovebox, one inside of the glove box at the back and one at the side of the glove box.

footlight13.jpg

Let the glovebox drop down, you can remove the glovebox by disconnecting the connector one the glovebox but you will get a airbag fault warning on the dash afterwards as the connector feeds the airbag switch in the glovebox, this fault can be cleared using VAG COM. I removed the glove box completely for better access but it can kept on the floor to do the job but its more fiddly if you don't want to have to clear faults on the car.

footlight8.jpg

Now you'll need to get the wiring to the passenger side footwell, i used a coat hanger and from the passenger side pushed it through to the drivers side just behind the stereo and taped the wire to the hanger and then pulled it through.

footlight9.jpg

footlight10.jpg

footlight11.jpg

Once its pulled through you now need to push the connectors at the end of the wires into the plastic plug for the light.

Now connect the plug to the light.

Hopefully the light will now work assuming the vag com setting has been completed, if it doesn't work then you may need to put the ignition on and then turn it off again. If it still does not work then check the connections and earth points.

footlight7.jpg

Once everything is working disconnect the lights and put back all the trim and glovebox etc.

Once its all done (making sure you haven't got any bolts left over) pull the connectors through the hole where the lights sit into the bottom of the trim, connect them up to the lights and push the lights into their location.

footlight14.jpg

And there you have it, foot well lights.

footlight16.jpg

footlight15.jpg

I'll be doing the puddle lights and warning lights tomorrow so i will post a guide up on how to do that and if anyone is interested i could create a 'kit' up so it will be plug and play assuming its an easy job but looking at the wiring diagram it looks pretty easy.

Can u still get this how much

Come across a problem, Just tried to fit some front footwell lights with vagcom coding to my a3 8p 2005
using this guide that a mate had spare from his install on a a5, the pin I got from audi wasn't the right size fitment for the connector block so built the car back up not thinking anything of it just will look into it..
So get in my car later to go out and the drivers rear light cluster is throwing a error up for every bulb in it?
Could anyone shed some light on what's wrong?
The only other install I've had is the coming home lights which has worked fine for the last 2 weeks
Thanks Dan

Okay so got home from work, driving back thinking to myself at 7 last night I can't remember pushing the red lock across..
BINGO the connector B had popped out!
Lesson learnt, remember the red tab!!

Robin do you still sell the kits? i must have missed where the price is for a 2008 TDI A3

Hi Folks, I purchased a set of front & rear LED footwell looms from Robin a few months ago and I've only just gotten around to fitting them this last weekend.
The quality of Robin's looms are second to none......top drawer & value for money.
I followed the guides on posted on this forum for both the front & rear installation on my A3 61 plate Sport back.
The guides are spot on, just take your time and don't rush, especially when removing & refitting the various bits of trim, allow yourself a couple of hours to do the fronts & backs and you cant really go wrong.
Thank you.

Reactions: lgooch
Anyone know the part number for the repair wire that goes to the black connector?

You don't have a guid to removing the coding for these do you, I have put 2 used door control modules on my car and the car now gives me a fault for pub blue lights, I'd like to remove this, reason I changed, I had folding mirrors, that where acting up, so I've put normal mirrors on my car and the control modules, thanks

Hi Guy's n Gal's,

Brought a set of these from RobinA3 a couple of weeks ago and just want to thank Robin for supply a top quality product, just like OEM.

Arrived save and sound within 2 days and installed with no probs.

If anyone is after puddle lihgts/footwell lights, RobinA3 is YOUR MAN!

Thanks again Robin.
Hey RobinA3,I am a freshman here as you will have noticed and not up to speed with blogging.
However ,I am very interested in your wiring looms ,footwell and puddle lights.I have had an A3 2.0l Quattro for some time and would really
like to add the LED lighting to the vehicle ,it is a 2011 model S line not sure if this is an easy task assuming you do still make the looms.
I have no idea how to make contact ! Sorry what is PM ,I know email.LOL Thanks heaps :)

If anyone could please assist - i am looking for the repair wire number for the pin that goes into the white plug (terminal B50) BCM/CECM for a 2010 Audi.
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to find the right repair wire for mine.
Had the dash off and been to the dealers.
Tried various pins but no luck.

I also pm'd RobinA3 but no reply as yet.

Hey RobinA3,I am a freshman here as you will have noticed and not up to speed with blogging.
However ,I am very interested in your wiring looms ,footwell and puddle lights.I have had an A3 2.0l Quattro for some time and would really
like to add the LED lighting to the vehicle ,it is a 2011 model S line not sure if this is an easy task assuming you do still make the looms.
I have no idea how to make contact ! Sorry what is PM ,I know email.LOL Thanks heaps :)
A PM is a private message... click on Robins profile and send him a message that way.
2011 model Sline will use the revision version of the footwell lights as can be found on pg2 if i recall correctly.

A PM is a private message... click on Robins profile and send him a message that way.
2011 model Sline will use the revision version of the footwell lights as can be found on pg2 if i recall correctly.
Yea, worked it out eventually feel pretty dumb now.
I have visited pg2 and with RobinA3's help ,I am slowly getting the picture.
B_rad thanks again for the input mate :)

Reactions: B_rad
Off topic slightly, but has anyone done anything like the door optics found on the larger Audis?

Cheers thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to find the right repair wire for mine.

If you can get the part number of the block, Audi parts might be able to find out? There are similar threads on the TT Forum, if I find it I'll post it here

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you can get the part number of the block, Audi parts might be able to find out? There are similar threads on the TT Forum, if I find it I'll post it here

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks bud. I actually didnthat already and went to VW as Audi was useless. There were a number of wires for the block so i bought the one that seemed right, but it didn't work.

I can't see a message from you.......?

My apologies - it appears i made a post to your wall a few days back, and didn't actually pm. I'm a noob. :)
I think I've sent the appropriate pm now.

Sorry to gatecrash, but having been looking to retrofit both puddle lights and footwell lights on my 2014 TT (MK2 8J).

I have read the guide by RobinA3 and the 'how to' guides on different forums all look similar between different Audi models and the part numbers are all more or less the same.

My question is are the looms provided by RobinA3 suitable for other cars or are they for the A3 only? Do the cables need to be longer/shorted etc?

Thanks.

I can make kits to suit the TT. As I make my kits to order and by hand I can tailor each kit to suit any car.

Any idea where the footlights connect on the A1? I wanted to retrofit them

Just for info I am now able to offer a fitting service for my kits so if you are interested in my kits and are a bit worried about fitting please drop me a message.

Reactions: Phil-1
Is there a -ve on the plug for the footwell lights rather than a Ron crimp so it looks more oem?

Hi Robin A3

Your instructions are fabulous!
Nonetheless, could you enlighten me on 2 issues?
1) Could you provide info, if this is possible through a picture, as to which pin on the light is for the earth wire and which one is for the possitive feed?
2) As far as the footwell light on the passenger side is concerned, should I match the respective wires with those of the driver ones? That is the earth wire of the pas. Light being matched with the earth wire of the driver's light..
The possitive feed of the pass. Light being matched with the possitive feed of the driver's light. Is this correct or not?

Is there a -ve on the plug for the footwell lights rather than a Ron crimp so it looks more oem?

Do you have transparent panels ? These things are about as OEM as they get. As long as they work and are hidden, I really couldn't care less

Reactions: martinivw, RobinA3 and downtothebone