My DIY guide for Retro fitting Puddle Lights

Robin found your guide and thread really useful altho I've not bought a loom off you wonder if you could shed some light I got some genuine sportback looms off ebay (eBay steal) , I fitted them all up coded them also.... Now my rear doors all work mint.

Front I have nothing ie No windows, Central Locking, Electric mirror movement.... They were completely plug and play....

Now reading into your thread it may seem not totally clear there maybe pin changes in later cars? I have a 09, could it be the front pins are incorrect and I need to swap the pins. Does anyone have the pin outs?

Obviously I could refit the old loom. And fit the lights up to them but that's a ball ache

Cheers Ad

For reference it seems the rears were the correct looms, the front weren't the pins were totally different locations, I stripped the front looms back unpinned them and spliced them into my old loom in pins 18 and 19 as earlier in the thread and it worked.... Typical eBay!

What I mean is will these just be a plug and play fit if you don't have puddle lights already?

If you dont have puddle lights already then you will need to wire up and code your car using vcds to get puddle lights working using the guide on this thread

Yeah I know that what I'm getting at is these bib units have the connector and wiring on so wil the other end of the connector be behind the door card is what I mean or will I have to add wiring?

You still making these looms by any chance? After puddle/footwell lights for my sport back?

Fantastic thread gave it. Gave it a try today by making own looms, the passenger side worked until I disconnected it to drill a hole in for the puddle light, and now after reconnecting the light does not work at all. Iv tried everything from testing the circuit direct from the battery which works fine to making a brand new loom. I also scanned the car with vcds and cleared any fault codes (the driver and passenger doors are now showing fault codes for some reason) but for some reason it doesnt work anymore.

I even tried touching my loom with the bulb directly on the pin 1 and 2 for pin 1 and 2 slots for the door connector but nothing.

Please could anyone think of a reason as to why it ain't working anymore, my dad said the fuse may have gone but I'm unsure where to find the fuse for the passenger door puddle/warning lights to check it against a resistance checker - anyone possibly know where to find this?

Any help I'd really appreciate it iv spent since 8am trying to do this and the driver side is the only one working

Iv just checked that pin 1 (passenger door) is dead as the resistor checker is showing no flow of current. I then connected the earth loom to pin 2 and the supply loom directly onto the + of the car battery and worked which confirmed that pin 1 is dead.

Is there another power supply source on the passenger door where I can solder/pin in the supply loom in?

did you try recoding the front passenger door again , might just have lost its coding as such for the light , then you wouldnt have + to pin 1

did you try recoding the front passenger door again , might just have lost its coding as such for the light , then you wouldnt have + to pin 1
I did hollow. When I checked the module again, +64 was still added on. What are the odds of the fuse going?

Are you saying the + to pin one will only work if coded?

Try connecting the loom and bulb into the module and then removing the power connector leave it a minute and re connect it. The puddle lights have a function that switches off the supply if there is a problem like a loose cable. I had the same problem with getting mine to work until I connected everything and cycled the power like I said above

If you've had to put in looms and lamps, then they won't work until it's coded. But you must install them all first before coding

Thanks for all the advice. This morning with the looms and lights installed I recoded the door but still no joy. Gaz what you mentioned above I kinda did try that yesterday but still didn't work.

The current reader showed pin 1 producing no power. This was working before then all of a sudden when I took the loom and bulbs off to do drilling it stopped.

I'm.literally stuck with solutions. The driver door is working fine just the passenger

The driver and passenger door I used pin 1 for supply and pin 2 for earth. I wired the driver door the same as the passenger as it was easier. I coded both doors by adding 64 from my original value of 48.

I adamant my looms work fine as I tested them numerous times with the power direct from the battery.

Thanks for all the advice. This morning with the looms and lights installed I recoded the door but still no joy. Gaz what you mentioned above I kinda did try that yesterday but still didn't work.

The current reader showed pin 1 producing no power. This was working before then all of a sudden when I took the loom and bulbs off to do drilling it stopped.

I'm.literally stuck with solutions. The driver door is working fine just the passenger

As long as your sure it's coded correctly and you have the correct pins try it again make sure all the plugs are installed and connected correctly and pull out just the power plug the one with the thicker red and brown cables

When the module powers up it does a self check and if it doesn't sense a bulb then it switches off the output to protect the module. If you had it working and then unplugged it it probably has switched off the output and won't switch on until the power is cycled

Failing that has the bulb blown or a loose connection

Oklahoma this is how I did mine with no probs when coded. Front doors Live pin 16 Ground pin 5 (splice in as already in use)

As long as your sure it's coded correctly and you have the correct pins try it again make sure all the plugs are installed and connected correctly and pull out just the power plug the one with the thicker red and brown cables

When the module powers up it does a self check and if it doesn't sense a bulb then it switches off the output to protect the module. If you had it working and then unplugged it it probably has switched off the output and won't switch on until the power is cycled

Failing that has the bulb blown or a loose connection
Gaz how would I get the power to be cycled again?

I don't know why it said Oklahoma. Lol Rear doors Pin 12 Live Pin 13 Ground. If any of these are already in use just splice and solder.
Can't help with he coding as I got someone to do that for me.

I don't know why it said Oklahoma. Lol Rear doors Pin 12 Live Pin 13 Ground. If any of these are already in use just splice and solder.
Can't help with he coding as I got someone to do that for me.
Mines 3 dr and my module only has like 6 or so pins. I tried splicing the power to pin 6 as that was giving out a high current but no joy

Connect your loom connecter to the module , make sure all the connectors are connected properly to the module. Then just unplug the one connector only which has the thicker cables on mine they were red and brown these are the power cables to the module. Then give it a minute , make sure all other connectors are plugged in. Then plug the power connector back in this cycles the power to the module and reset it. I had the exact same problem when I came to fit my puddle lights

Connect your loom connecter to the module , make sure all the connectors are connected properly to the module. Then just unplug the one connector only which has the thicker cables on mine they were red and brown these are the power cables to the module. Then give it a minute , make sure all other connectors are plugged in. Then plug the power connector back in this cycles the power to the module and reset it. I had the exact same problem when I came to fit my puddle lights
I'll give that a try tomorrow Gaz. If the fuse was gone, would any of the pins in the module work?

Sorry man, is there more than one plug on the door card?
There's a couple plugs on the door card I believe gray. Tbh this has gotten me so fed up spent the whole week and car battery then went flat. Im just hoping its a fuse issue.

There is one plug grey with orange tab from memory which is from the door card electrics and various other plugs for other bits and pieces in the door.

It is worth checking the fuses in the fuse box I believe that there are separate fuses for the door modules. If you had lost power to the module I would guess that the window and other electrics in the door wouldn't work

Attach to the plug that's left in the door card, not the ones on the door.

There is one plug grey with orange tab from memory which is from the door card electrics and various other plugs for other bits and pieces in the door.

It is worth checking the fuses in the fuse box I believe that there are separate fuses for the door modules. If you had lost power to the module I would guess that the window and other electrics in the door wouldn't work
I dont know where to look for the door module. I was assuming the window and door locks are separate fuses as their connections werent connected to the module I was working with. I'm unsure where the fuse for the puddle lights would be

Have you talked to "t8ups" he's brilliant at stuff like this?

Reactions: slizza786
Went to Ash from audi-retrofit who after long and hard diagnosed that the safety door switch on the passenger side was damaged so the car didn't know the door was open and closed and managed to do a repair which got it all worked.

Top.top lad. Will be going back to get more work done off him.

Reactions: Smir
just to clarify boys it was pin 1 for power and pin 2 for ground on the earlier cars... pin 16 and pin 5 is for later cars.

as Slizza said the wiring he made was ok although i did fix it properly for him (spade connectors... tut tut lol) but as the door lock microswitch was damaged the car didnt know when to light up the puddle lights as it didnt even know the door was even open.

have to say although i wasn't 100% on the look of spooky (slizzas car name) it does look nice when its driving around.

Reactions: slizza786
You don't happen to know what the pins are for the rear doors on the newer 8V models?

just to clarify boys it was pin 1 for power and pin 2 for ground on the earlier cars... pin 16 and pin 5 is for later cars.

as Slizza said the wiring he made was ok although i did fix it properly for him (spade connectors... tut tut lol) but as the door lock microswitch was damaged the car didnt know when to light up the puddle lights as it didnt even know the door was even open.

have to say although i wasn't 100% on the look of spooky (slizzas car name) it does look nice when its driving around.
The mean look is what I'm going for!

I already have these built I'm but could do with them being brighter. Any recommendations on what bulbs to use?