My first A3

Garrett 69

Reaction score
I intend this to be a running thread for all the work I do to it, from necessary repairs to my own mods.

So, my first delve into the Audi world for nearly 20 years. For the bargain price of £300 I picked up a 57 plate 1.9tdi Sportback with 148k and a few known issues (central locking fault, "dodgy" oil sender since service, turbo whistle) but a full 12 months MOT.

I drove the car 12 miles to home, via a pitstop for some V Power diesel.

I had been assured that the car had recently been serviced. However, the oil was black and about 4" above the max mark!!! Needless to say the oil was drained and replaced with some Shell Helix Ultra I had left from my RenaultSport Mégane. 6 ltrs out and 3.4 ltrs in. Whoever had "serviced" it had obviously omitted to drain the old oil and also failed to check the dipstick. The filter looked new so as I didn't have a replacement handy, it was washed in diesel and refitted. Now, that "dodgy" oil sender I was told about. Guess what? It's no longer flashing up on the dash. I wonder what could have been the cause of it coming on in the first place........

The MOT, carried out by Mr Tyre in Walsall, flagged up 3 tyres as advisory "nearing limit with uneven wear" or terms to that effect. Now bear in mind that since the MOT, this car has covered 16 miles, including my bringing it home. Both rear tyres were slick on the inside to about 1/3 width, front driver's side tyre was 1.2mm tread and nearly bald on the inside edge. The front nearside tyre shocked me the most. Slick on the inside edge with an egg on the inner sidewall, a huge gash in the outer sidewall resulting in cords just visible. The garage's response was "someone must have changed the wheels mate." Something I know to be a lie as I had already seen the car before the MOT and the wheels had the same identical scuffs. Admittedly I didn't pay too much attention to tyres as that's one of the first things I replace anyway, but it still goes to prove that this MOT centre is untrustworthy and I have submitted a report to the DVSA.

In any case, she's now had 4 new Avon ZV7s and tracking done. I originally wanted Yoko AE51 BlueEarth but only 2 were available in 225/45R17. My trained mechanic/tyre guy advised me that it's recently had new discs and pads and underneath is pretty sound.

I found a slight split in the turbo actuator hose so I've replaced this and whilst there is still a whistle, there's no longer any real lag. I will at some point treat the car to a new turbo but I quite like the whistle sound.

The car itself is in very good exterior condition for it's 14 years. Paintwork is bright and shiny with very few stone chips or scrapes. There's a slight scrape on the FNS arch and a dink behind the fuel filler but nothing severe.
Inside is pretty good but I'll reserve judgement until I've given it a full valet.

IMG 20211112 093247
IMG 20211112 093523
IMG 20211112 094235
IMG 20211112 094306
IMG 20211112 094324

Inoperable rear wiper. I'll be removing this and blanking off the hole.
IMG 20211112 094343

A slight dink just behind the fuel filler which has pushed the panel around the light cluster out of shape. I'll attend to this once the electrical issues are dealt with.
IMG 20211112 093455

I have a cheap 2nd hand climate control unit on order, purely to replace the missing knob cover.
Concert works but as there's no Bluetooth I'll be replacing it with an Android unit.

IMG 20211112 093238

Can someone explain the operation of speed limit/cruise control? I can only seem to set a limit.
IMG 20211112 093309

Reactions: S3AMJ, bronco and No more
Cruise:

press the button to set, push up to increase speed, down decrease.

Push forward to cancel, pull back to resume cruise. Simple.

Reactions: Garrett 69
I intend this to be a running thread for all the work I do to it, from necessary repairs to my own mods.

So, my first delve into the Audi world for nearly 20 years. For the bargain price of £300 I picked up a 57 plate 1.9tdi Sportback with 148k and a few known issues (central locking fault, "dodgy" oil sender since service, turbo whistle) but a full 12 months MOT.

I drove the car 12 miles to home, via a pitstop for some V Power diesel.

I had been assured that the car had recently been serviced. However, the oil was black and about 4" above the max mark!!! Needless to say the oil was drained and replaced with some Shell Helix Ultra I had left from my RenaultSport Mégane. 6 ltrs out and 3.4 ltrs in. Whoever had "serviced" it had obviously omitted to drain the old oil and also failed to check the dipstick. The filter looked new so as I didn't have a replacement handy, it was washed in diesel and refitted. Now, that "dodgy" oil sender I was told about. Guess what? It's no longer flashing up on the dash. I wonder what could have been the cause of it coming on in the first place........

The MOT, carried out by Mr Tyre in Walsall, flagged up 3 tyres as advisory "nearing limit with uneven wear" or terms to that effect. Now bear in mind that since the MOT, this car has covered 16 miles, including my bringing it home. Both rear tyres were slick on the inside to about 1/3 width, front driver's side tyre was 1.2mm tread and nearly bald on the inside edge. The front nearside tyre shocked me the most. Slick on the inside edge with an egg on the inner sidewall, a huge gash in the outer sidewall resulting in cords just visible. The garage's response was "someone must have changed the wheels mate." Something I know to be a lie as I had already seen the car before the MOT and the wheels had the same identical scuffs. Admittedly I didn't pay too much attention to tyres as that's one of the first things I replace anyway, but it still goes to prove that this MOT centre is untrustworthy and I have submitted a report to the DVSA.

In any case, she's now had 4 new Avon ZV7s and tracking done. I originally wanted Yoko AE51 BlueEarth but only 2 were available in 225/45R17. My trained mechanic/tyre guy advised me that it's recently had new discs and pads and underneath is pretty sound.

I found a slight split in the turbo actuator hose so I've replaced this and whilst there is still a whistle, there's no longer any real lag. I will at some point treat the car to a new turbo but I quite like the whistle sound.

The car itself is in very good exterior condition for it's 14 years. Paintwork is bright and shiny with very few stone chips or scrapes. There's a slight scrape on the FNS arch and a dink behind the fuel filler but nothing severe.
Inside is pretty good but I'll reserve judgement until I've given it a full valet.

View attachment 245834View attachment 245835
Inoperable rear wiper. I'll be removing this and blanking off the hole.
View attachment 245836
A slight dink just behind the fuel filler which has pushed the panel around the light cluster out of shape. I'll attend to this once the electrical issues are dealt with.
View attachment 245837
I have a cheap 2nd hand climate control unit on order, purely to replace the missing knob cover.
Concert works but as there's no Bluetooth I'll be replacing it with an Android unit.

Hi Garret 69,

you've got yourself quite a project but it's hard to beat £300 !! :) . I'd love that just for spare parts !

Good luck and keep us posted

It’s cheap So a good project to get your teeth into. Audi parts are expensive so good used parts will make it worthwhile. Before you throw too much money at it, find the engine code and check out threads relating to it, there’s some horror stories for certain engines.

I'll check the engine code this evening.

One thing I will be getting my trained spanner monkey to do before the winter sets in is a cam belt/chain and water pump change. It was apparently last done at 128k but I don't know exactly when that was time wise.

Ok, not bits done but having done a couple of weeks commuting to work now and around 250 miles, a first review is in order.

I've come to the conclusion that the 1.9tdi is not really designed for motorway mile munching as the 5 speed gearbox means 70mph is nearly 3k rpm so it's never going to be the most economical. It's a car that doesn't want to be ragged around, it prefers a gentle meander. That said, there's plenty of grunt if I need it. The low down torque is impressive for its relatively low BHP which I think is helped by the gearing.

The drive is really comfortable, the steering precise and gear changes are crisp. Considering the car is 14 years old, the handling has surprised me, it feels like a new car in that respect. There's good feedback from each corner and I can be a lot more confident around bends and roundabouts compared to the wallowing Shitroen. It feels firm and planted.

I really like the driving position and the seat is very supportive. The steering wheel is comfortable in the hands, not round in section but more ergonomic. The gear knob is perfectly shaped and feels like an extension of my hand. A lot of thought must have gone into the design of these things.

Instruments and displays are clear and easy to use. My only slight annoyance is the climate control being where it is means you have to reach around the gear stick to switch direction to windscreen, it's not always convenient or safe to stop and adjust these things.

I really like the design of the dash, I'm not a fan of digital dashes. The red and white on black background colour scheme looks crisp and clean. It's a shame that the Concert stereo isn't the same, that's just LCD and looks wishy washy.

The six(?) speaker sound system has a great output quality across the range of sounds.

Anyway, that's just my first thoughts in abbreviated form. Overall I really like the car and I will start to make it more personal to me once I've sorted out the various issues it has provided to test me.

Reactions: hkymre
Went for a spin today and realised that 70mph in 5th is actually around 2300rpm so I must have been in 4th the other day :racer:

I also discovered my reversing lights don't work so I've ordered a new switch from GSF. I'll just have to avoid reversing for the next couple of days :busted cop: