My first detailing attempt

Ian S4

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the forum, joined up a few weeks back after buying my B6 S4. I'm also new to the detailing world, having always used a simple bucket and sponge to "clean" my cars ;) I wanted to make sure I was looking after the S4 when giving it a clean and have become a bit anal with wanting to keep it shiney.
So Iv done a fair bit of reading up and this is what Iv decided to do today, please let me know if there is any step you'd change or not bother with, the car is fairly clean as is but I don't think it's had a proper detail for a while, anyways here we go.....

1. Pressure wash whole car.
2. Apply alloy wheel cleaner (can't remember brand) clean with soft wheel brush.
3. Pressure wash down wheels ( from a bit of a distance 3ft? So not to damage)
4. Apply ph neutral snow foam ( can't remember brand)
5. Pressure wash off snow foam
6. Clean car using 2 bucket method, micro fibre mit and dodo juice born to be mild shampoo
7. Dry using micro fibre drying cloth
8. Clay bar car using dodo juice born slippy and dodo juice fine clay bar.
9. Pressure wash ?? Is this step needed after claying??
10. Apply dodo juice lime prime pre wax cleanser and buff off by hand (panel by panel)
11. Apply a few layers of dodo juice super natural hybrid wax/sealer, buff off by hand (panel by panel)
12. When wax has fully cured buff car using dodo juice basics of bling detail spray.
13. Use a back to black type silicon on black door wings and window trims, wiper arms etc.

How does that sound? I'm going to start around 9 this morning so will get some before and after pics up.
Is there anything I should be aware of using the above products please guys? As said Iv done my reading up and am 99% sure on what I'm doing, I haven't bought a wheel sealer yet so may use the super natural hybrid on the wheels this time, or I also have a pot of dodo juice purple haze 30ml so may try that.

Thanks in advance

Ian

I would have got some tar-x and iron-x too mate but apart from that your on the right track. get some pics up when your done.

I would have got some tar-x and iron-x too mate but apart from that your on the right track. get some pics up when your done.

Is there a similar product I could pick up from halfrouds mate? Iv got to pop there before I start as my micro fibre cloth's haven't turned up yet :( also at what stage of the wash should I use them and how, cheers fella :)

Use iron x and tar remover before clayin, they definitely sell tar remover in halfords not sure if they do a fallout remover similar to iron x

Ok mate thanks, I assume the iron x is used to get rid of metalicy airborne particles etc?, the clues in the name with the tar x lol, ;)
Ill see what halfrouds has to offer although I do resent buying products from there as they seem to be uber expensive lol.

I was very confused there for a second Ian-83, I thought, hold on I didn't post that, then I looked more closely at the user name ;)

Reactions: CHEZ
Autoglym do a tar remover at halfords

Have just been reading about the AG tar remover, seems its better to decant it into a spray bottle and apply it in the same way as the tar-x, think ill give it a go.

the AG tar remover works quite well i find, get some pics up later i'm giving mine a going over today as well and it's the same colour as yours so i will try and get some pics up as well

Right Iv just finished and packed away.....pheeeew it certainly hard work this detailing lark lol.
And would you fecking believe as I type this it's now starting to rain!!! Typical hey, well suppose I could get some beading pics ;) .
Anyways here are a few pics of today's work, I followed the above process, I got some AG tar remover and also picked up some wonder wheels wheel wax, will do till I get some poor boys next month.

Bonnet

4E474D7D-C9A8-4B21-A5E9-1F48FD6034DE-627-00000068D56D95F2_zpscadc8e8b.jpg

8E70985B-A728-4C92-96E1-7767B1E4B8EC-627-00000068CD36FD60_zps8e070436.jpg

DD56F525-DF37-42B3-8762-AC745FB1FCEB-627-00000068C517BD23_zpsd6cf71f8.jpg

964DC9BB-61D5-4F2F-8EAF-858D13C4FF53-627-00000068BD37EDE2_zps45a5ef66.jpg

1CD9D875-FA69-4A31-A437-6133E5C0DE2E-627-00000068B47B2292_zps68d90a23.jpg

Reactions: tcscotland, CHEZ and Sandra
Looks really excellent Ian. :) x

Thanks chez, I'm not 100% sure what they are to be honest, they were on the car when I bought it, they have bbs centre caps but I don't think there genuine bbs wheels, I'm not sure I'm afraid.

Did a good job there mate and as above them rims look amazing really suit that your car. very nice motor

Reactions: Ian S4
Great job Ian, welcome the OCD world of detailing. Just like pringles, once you pop, you can't stop!!

Looks really nice, and I want your wheels for my s4 ;-)

Thanks very much guys :) although paid a bit of a price for my efforts last night :( think I may have suffered a bit of sun stroke or something, being of the fair skinned variety (ginger ;) ) I managed to get my face and back of my neck sunburnt while doing the car, had a bit of a funny turn while at a wedding reception last night, my head went fuzzy and for around 30-60 seconds had horrible double vision and dizziness, that will teach me hey, still feeling groggy this morn :(