So diesels are weird? Or your mates TDI is? I thought the torque and power intersection was normally when bhp went 'up' past torque whereas these cross whilst both falling.

Also I'm sure it's been done to death in the past but why do 99.9% off cars cross over at 5250 and yours at 7500? And some have dynos where they don't cross?

Its just the way Bill's dyno prints the plots dude... his doesn't intersect at 5252rpm...

<tuffty/>

Oh I remember now, this is because the torque and bhp are not on the same axis. Sorry my brain is busted.

So diesels are weird? Or your mates TDI is? I thought the torque and power intersection was normally when bhp went 'up' past torque whereas these cross whilst both falling.

Also I'm sure it's been done to death in the past but why do 99.9% off cars cross over at 5250 and yours at 7500? And some have dynos where they don't cross?

jeez, really stuart?
ONLY relevant where axis is rpm AND lbft AND the axis start at ZERO

Slow morning at work. Looks loosely like this - bottom axis showing rpm (obviously) and left showing bhp/lbft on an equal scale:

t2Os3kB.png

No trendline plotted on the derv but you can imagine them going on to cross at ~5252 rpm as the blue plot does (ish, because low number of data points and only an order 6 polynomial line)

Reactions: <tuffty/>
So even the diesels would cross over at 5250rpm if you predict the curve. Too scientific for me.

Technically mathematical.
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252, so everything will cross there (5252 ÷ 5252 = 1, therefore power = torque)

Reactions: Prawn
Slow morning at work. Looks loosely like this - bottom axis showing rpm (obviously) and left showing bhp/lbft on an equal scale:

t2Os3kB.png

No trendline plotted on the derv but you can imagine them going on to cross at ~5252 rpm as the blue plot does (ish, because low number of data points and only an order 6 polynomial line)

wish I had more roller speeds to see the power peak.. still climbing.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I ran some high tech simulation for you to see what would happen, Bill. Looks promising.

JT0NEGU.png

Reactions: tomjol, Vex182, superkarl and 1 other person
I ran a race simulation on the way home and conclude its f00king fast!

I have now tweaked the map a little more to see if it will spool a little sooner... get it closer to the TDI graph :)

<tuffty/>

Tuffty, just going back through your pictures of transfer box replacement and just want to confirm - to remove the transfer box, do you need to only remove 4 bolts attaching to the gearbox, support bracket, the prop and driver's side driveshaft?

Tuffty, just going back through your pictures of transfer box replacement and just want to confirm - to remove the transfer box, do you need to only remove 4 bolts attaching to the gearbox, support bracket, the prop and driver's side driveshaft?
There is also the bolt holding the drive cup in... Requires a long 6mm Allen key tool to remove

<tuffty/>

Productive day.... while Bill was having a much deserved day off I cracked on with fitting the tray for the battery relocation...

Removed the back box and heat shield so I could access underneath for bolting stuff in...
CRW_4544.jpg

Worked out where the tray was going to go... up against the back of the boot...
CRW_4546.jpg

Marked it all up and made spacers as the boot floor isn't flat... bolted it all down, looking good so far...
CRW_4557.jpg

As I am using a lead/acid battery inside the car (albeit in the boot) you need to vent it externally... batterys usually come with two breather holes, one each side and a little plug to plug one up if needed...
CRW_4562.jpg

I then modded a 90 deg pipe joiner (6mm one IIRC... its one I had kicking about..) and there is a handy grommet next to the battery for running the vent pipe outside...
CRW_4565.jpg

CRW_4569.jpg

Drilled the hole for the earth lead and cleaned off the paint to get a good connection...
CRW_4566.jpg

Used an M8 SS bolt and made a stud for the earth lead to connect too... made an earth lead from 50mm sq welding cable... crimped the terminals on for a solid connection...
CRW_4570.jpg

That all done I sealed all the bolts and holes underneath with high temp sealant... seam sealer would have worked just as well but didn't have any to hand...
CRW_4573.jpg

Thats the tray in... need to pull out some of the interior now so I can run the cable to the engine bay (I already have my 4 gauge amp cable run so will need to replace that and re-route to the back)... also need to trim around the boot carpet and make a trim panel to fit over the top of the battery as it will stick up a bit... I have another S3 boot carpet to use to trim the panel... job done...
CRW_4581.jpg

With that done I got on with a full brake fluid replacement as when I tested it the other week it was over the limit moisture wise... I used ATE Blue fluid this time rather than Motul RBF660 this time mainly because Bill had it on the shelf...

Cut myself a little funnel out of a water bottle and bled away... all four corners, clutch and master cylinder...
CRW_4576.jpg

Good thing about the ATE Blue is I could easily tell when the old fluid had bled through as the tube went blue...
CRW_4580.jpg

Once that was done I did a quick check over the coolant hose clips and as expected they felt loose again... this is fairly typical of silicon hoses... boost pipes are the same... usually have to go around the clips again after a day on the dyno after the initial build...

Happy days :D

<tuffty/>
Hi PT, how did you overcome the height of the battery in the spare wheel well, I’ve worked out the depth to being 120mm and the battery is around 190mm. I have seen somewhere you can get a high density foam surround which raises the height of the boot floor, supposedly so you can fit a full size spare wheel in there originally. Thanks, Ash

Hi PT, how did you overcome the height of the battery in the spare wheel well, I’ve worked out the depth to being 120mm and the battery is around 190mm. I have seen somewhere you can get a high density foam surround which raises the height of the boot floor, supposedly so you can fit a full size spare wheel in there originally. Thanks, Ash
I haven't yet... I just laid the boot carpet over it and left it at that LOL

I have a spare bit of carpet and the intention was to cut round the battery and make a 'cover' trimmed in boot carpet... I am unsure as to what to do with the WMI tank at the moment though as ideally I need a larger one (now I am driving the car more its going down pretty quick)... this may change my approach to the boot plus I may still fit a swirl pot in the wheel well...

But for what you need to do then either false floor (be wary of using foam as it would ideally need to be fire retardant) or cut round and a trim panel... this way at least you have a bit of boot volume left

<tuffty/>

Battery covered...
View attachment 163251

Battery uncovered :)
View attachment 163252

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty! Now I see it, doesn’t look tooo bad. I was looking at an Audi 8P boot, underneath the carpet is a thick polystyrene pad inset with the tools and jack... I was thinking of getting one, trimming it to fit and then you’d have plenty of room for a bigger WMI tank, I’m gonna put mine in the boot like yours. Along with anything I can squeeze in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small update on hopefully some interesting developments...

Anti-surge housing has arrived....
IMG 20180811 102040

Hoping to get that on soon... and on the subject of turbo's I took a cheeky picture of my spare A2 turbo core (1.4 TDi) next to a GT3582r core (same as the S3)...
IMG 20180819 132021

...a little different :)

Some of you may recall I had a few issues with the bearings in a set of Silver Project camber plates I had fitted for a while... after the second bearing went I decided to remove them and relegated them to the shelf to repair later and sell on... since then I decided to see if they could be improved at all as I still like the idea of having control over my suspension settings even if I won't be going too aggressive..

I found some larger bearings to fit in... had nothing to lose so was worth a punt... rather than going over old ground you can read about how this has progressed here..
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-88#post-3210465

...and here...
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-92#post-3267379

Alex being the nice chap that he is welded up the modded bearings holders to the plates and now they look a little bit like this...
IMG 20180819 143605

The orange paint had to go so a little elbow grease later (and by elbow grease I mean aqua blast)
IMG 20180819 153937

IMG 20180819 160635

..and of course etched primed ready to paint black :)
IMG 20180819 161638

...will revisit those later as there is a little more work to do before they can be fitted...

Lastly I have been keeping a lazy eye out for something that could be more easily mounted in the car to be able to display the IECU tablet mode gauges... I have a decent enough netbook but that generally sits on the passenger seat and is not the best thing in the world to keep looking over at while driving..

Brian uses a windows based tablet... these seem to be stupidly expensive, very large or just crap.... then I stumbled upon this little gem...
Screen Shot 2018 08 21 at 191033

WT actual F!!... I hear you cry!!... but bear with...

Its actually a fairly well specced Win10 8" tablet... it slides in and out of the 'gaming' rig and is sold as a streaming device for xbox and steam games...

Reality is its a pretty decent tablet PC using an Intel Atom x5 CPU with 2gb ram, 32gb eMMC and SD slot for another 32gb... the best bit is it was £89 on Amazon!..

As its Win10 it did the usual updates as soon as I booted it... but after that I am actually quite amazed at how responsive it is... res is 1280x800 so not gonna set the world alight but its usable and is a decent IPS screen... its not bright and a little glarey (as you will see) but works rather well

Video of it in action using Ignitron software

Video of it running VCDS

Video of me setting up Ignitron tablet mode screens with a wireless mouse plugged in

...and a tablet mode screen with it mounted in the car

I have used the cup holder and a suction mount jobber I robbed off the HPA controller plus a tablet holder I use when tethering the Android tablet to the camera...

Its a bit wobbly but will do for now until I can engineer something a little better
IMG 20180821 193951

IMG 20180821 194057

Works rather well and could be tethered to my phone if I really needed too

It needs an OTG adapter to work with external peripherals but I had a couple of them kicking around as you do :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Warsuperior, tomjol and Rainbird
Thats the best £89 spent ever! I was toying with the idea of getting a netbook for running VCDS.... but thats brilliant! Thats a pretty mad difference between the turbo cores

Still on the subject of the tablet... this is it doing what it was marketed as... game streaming through Steam (and xbox but I don't have one)

<tuffty/>

Small update on hopefully some interesting developments...

Anti-surge housing has arrived....
View attachment 163298

Hoping to get that on soon... and on the subject of turbo's I took a cheeky picture of my spare A2 turbo core (1.4 TDi) next to a GT3582r core (same as the S3)...
View attachment 163299

...a little different :)

Some of you may recall I had a few issues with the bearings in a set of Silver Project camber plates I had fitted for a while... after the second bearing went I decided to remove them and relegated them to the shelf to repair later and sell on... since then I decided to see if they could be improved at all as I still like the idea of having control over my suspension settings even if I won't be going too aggressive..

I found some larger bearings to fit in... had nothing to lose so was worth a punt... rather than going over old ground you can read about how this has progressed here..
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-88#post-3210465

...and here...
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-92#post-3267379

Alex being the nice chap that he is welded up the modded bearings holders to the plates and now they look a little bit like this...
View attachment 163316

The orange paint had to go so a little elbow grease later (and by elbow grease I mean aqua blast)
View attachment 163301
View attachment 163302

..and of course etched primed ready to paint black :)
View attachment 163303

...will revisit those later as there is a little more work to do before they can be fitted...

Lastly I have been keeping a lazy eye out for something that could be more easily mounted in the car to be able to display the IECU tablet mode gauges... I have a decent enough netbook but that generally sits on the passenger seat and is not the best thing in the world to keep looking over at while driving..

Brian uses a windows based tablet... these seem to be stupidly expensive, very large or just ****.... then I stumbled upon this little gem...
View attachment 163306
WT actual F!!... I hear you cry!!... but bear with...

Its actually a fairly well specced Win10 8" tablet... it slides in and out of the 'gaming' rig and is sold as a streaming device for xbox and steam games...

Reality is its a pretty decent tablet PC using an Intel Atom x5 CPU with 2gb ram, 32gb eMMC and SD slot for another 32gb... the best bit is it was £89 on Amazon!..

As its Win10 it did the usual updates as soon as I booted it... but after that I am actually quite amazed at how responsive it is... res is 1280x800 so not gonna set the world alight but its usable and is a decent IPS screen... its not bright and a little glarey (as you will see) but works rather well

Video of it in action using Ignitron software

Video of it running VCDS

Video of me setting up Ignitron tablet mode screens with a wireless mouse plugged in

...and a tablet mode screen with it mounted in the car

I have used the cup holder and a suction mount jobber I robbed off the HPA controller plus a tablet holder I use when tethering the Android tablet to the camera...

Its a bit wobbly but will do for now until I can engineer something a little better
View attachment 163317
View attachment 163318

Works rather well and could be tethered to my phone if I really needed too

It needs an OTG adapter to work with external peripherals but I had a couple of them kicking around as you do :)

<tuffty/>

Are you Vin Diesel or Brian?

You can't be - we've all seen your brake calipers.

Reactions: Stuart B and <tuffty/>
Have settled on a fixing method for the tablet which is both cheap and easily 'hideable'...

Magnetic phone holder jobbers that fit in the vents...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 092020

20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 092030

Used a pair as the tablet is heavy...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 091540

Sits nicely...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 084837

Will tidy the cable at some point but its stable and viewable... there is still quite a bit of reflection from the screen but have some antiglare screen protectors on the way... hopefully that will sort that out...

However.... its clear that these things are designed for lighter phones and to be easily removable without leaving a mark... this resulted in the adhesion of the plate to let go after removing the tablet a few times...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 203443

...will look to make the pads a more permanent fixture...

Sundays little job turned into a more painful one than I first imagined it was going to be... but after a bit of wrangling!
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 150515
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 150537

...turbo was out :)

Quick inspection and the turbo is looking good after some 9000 miles and 4yrs service...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 151141

The anti-surge housing next to the standard one...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 151809

...anti-surge test fitted after tapping a hole for the N75 outlet...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 161719

...the turbo was a real ball ache to remove this time.. last time I had the head in bits making access a little easier... so tried a different approach to refitting by removing the compressor back plate.. gives better access to the tricky coolant banjo at the back and easier fitting for hotside clamp etc...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 181837

Mostly back together...
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 193240

....and
20180902 96dpi IMG 20180902 194907

...I'm spent :)

Did some logging on the way home and the surge is now gone.... a before of the same file with the affect surge has circled in red...
Surge before

...and now with the anti-surge housing on...
Surge after

Happy with that despite having no skin left on my forearms from jamming them in tight spaces that are covered in fibreglass heat wrap :)

Next thing... turn up the boost... obvs :D

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3 Hilife, Vex182, hydro s3 and 1 other person
Oops. You also had a misfire on the surging log (peak in the lambda signal), and no misfire on the non surging log.

Reactions: badger5 and <tuffty/>
So more boost it is then....

...2bar of boost at 4.6k rpm vs 1.55bar previously...
55 antisurge V2 vs non ported 001

Bit more tweaking to do and needs a baseline run on the dyno to see where I am at but no surge which is good and looks like more torque potential :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: tomjol, hydro s3, S3 Hilife and 6 others
So more boost it is then....

...2bar of boost at 4.6k rpm vs 1.55bar previously...
View attachment 164674

Bit more tweaking to do and needs a baseline run on the dyno to see where I am at but no surge which is good and looks like more torque potential :)

<tuffty/>

So now you get have more boost and torque, does that mean a higher Rev limiter? 8.8? Lol

Bit of tweaking of the boost control as it over shot to 330kpa on spool... bit of fine tuning of the integrator max table...
55 antisurge V2 integrator max

Boost overshoots around 5k rpm
55 antisurge V2 boost overshoot

Little tweak to the integrator max table....
55 antisurge V3 integrator max

...results in a nice controlled boost curve...
55 antisurge V3 boost overshoot fixed

Need to get the car on the dyno soon :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3 and baliszoft