My new daily, A4 TQS

Nick101

Boost fiend
Reaction score
Following on from my other thread asking about the A4 TQS I ended up buying one on friday!

Travelled from Swansea to Kent to pick it up, what a long day, especially hitting the M25 at rush hour.

Its a pretty good example, 75k, one owner, full Audi history. Got the Recaro's, Xenon's, Bose.

The inside is mint, the bodywork has a few scuffs and dings and the wheels have corroded as they all do.

Mechanically it runs really sweet, bar the ABS light being on which I am hoping is simple fix, ABS ring as I have been told or sensor. Apparently the ABS module has been done.

I am very happy with it, so smooth and quiet. Dont actally want to lower it in a way as I dont want to ruin the ride, even though all my cars I have ever owned have been.

Plans for it:

As this is a cheap-ish daily (thats the plan) as I am buying my first house I dont want to/plan to go crazy on mods.

Sort ABS problem
New oil dipstick (broken neck)
Needs a real good bath as its covered in tar/industial fall out
Sort out scuffs and dings, one on rear quarter/front wing/bonnet, get front and rear bumpers painted and bump strips on doors
Refurb wheels

It needs a remap as it is very flat as my last few cars have been modified 1.8T's and a Focus ST (dont flame me) lol

Can anyone reccomend a company or a good person for remap? Is it a plug in job so does the ECU need removing?

I would like a little spoiler for the rear boot lid as it looks very plain, anyone reccomend one?

Anyway, enough waffling, heres some pics:

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Thanks for reading/looking! :salute:

well jealous. But then again i didn't know what i had bought until about 12 months after buying it as was only a stop gap after selling my Focus ST. Hopefully get it looking like your fine example here.

Cheers mate, silver hides a multitude of sins, lol

I ended up buying an Ibiza cupra after my ST as i got bored not having a car after a week, did'nt like it so swapped it for this. Fancied something a little special.

The ST is a good car, miss the torque of the thing, and the 5 pot growl. Would love an RS3 and have the best of both worlds...

I would also like to thank everyone who gave me advice and info on these cars in my other thread, Bradderz, Aragorn, Kingfisher, etc

Last edited:
Very nice indeed recaros are definatly a must, get a boost gauge plumed in first if your saying its 'flat' as it may be something mechanical like the DV or even put a forge item in its place then you wont have to worry about the diaphram collapsing in your oem bosch one all i will say now is that list of yours wont stay that short as mine never does do one thing and another 3 get added to the list lol

Thats what I am worried about, opening pandoras box when I start modding, worth it though, just not financially :lmfao:

I have read the standard TT 225 DV will work as an upgrade? Alternitavely does the Forge 007p work?

Also what should it be boosting to standard?

You should see around 10-12 psi sometimes mine peaks 14 psi, im running a 007p with a green spring but looking to get a yellow spring to see if it performs any better. Sounds good with a open cone filter not to loud like a scooby or the likes.

Is there an easy way to double check the DV? fitted a boost gauge the other day but only wired it in temporally and was reading -0.7 at idle and was reading 0.2 then in 5th it read 0.6 which I believe is what it should be reading.

Should the green spring be adequate for standard/stage 1 map power?

Is the standard TIP and airbox restrictive?

Got alot to learn about these cars, feel like a right noob as I am fairly clued up about the 1.8Ts in the A/S3 TT Golf etc

Green should be ok but personally id switch to the yellow if you up the boost, airbox isnt restrictive youd be best of with uprated intake pipe panel filter and modding the airbox to have a second cold air intake pipe from the o/s bumper grill area to airbox.

Kenlaw one easy way is to remove it then blow through the bottom port if air passes its fubar if your cheeks feel as if there going to explode your all good lol

I have read the standard TT 225 DV will work as an upgrade?

Thats correct the "710" would be fine and a lot cheaper!

If funds are limited I would concentrate on making sure there are no problems with what you've got. Invest in a Vag Com lead and check there are no underlying problems (e.g.like n75 valve not working etc making it flat) and what's causing your ABS light issue.

These are great cars in standard form, no need to start modding!

I am going up my brothers work tomorrow to get it up on the ramp and have a good look under it.

Gonna whip the wheels off and have a look at the abs sensors/rings and see what's what.

I plugged it in at the garage when I bought it, but will have a look and see if there is anything coming up.

Think it just feels flat as the last few cars I have owned have been not standard.

See you're from Swansea mate, you got an S4? Any experience with the TQS?

How hard is it/what's involved in getting to and changing the abs ring on the rear, think its gonna be the driver side?

Is the ring part of the cv joint, and has to be changed as one, or is it just the ring that can be done?

You could probably remove the shaft and clamp the reluctor back in a vice and clean it up and spot weld the reluctor as a cheap fix !!

They spent some money when they ordered that, Recaro Bose and Xenons - and it's an early car ( ours is T - mid July 1999)!

Don't know who does chips for these, this used to be easy (ish) at the time but things have moved on. the ECU has to come out and a new ECU + mount fitted (iirc).
You don't need a new dipstick, just the orange plastic end. IIRC I paid about £8 for a new one. Pull out the dipstick remove the remains of the old plastic, carefully and gently push new plastic end into place ( may help to warm the plastic in some hot water for a few minutes )
Forget the rear spoiler.......

That's what I thought! Any idea how much the car would have cost back in '99?

I was dreading that it was an ECU out jobbie to map it. Will look into it in time I think.

I have ordered a new dipstick tube, remember how much of a pain removing the bits is though when I did it ony A3. Also ordered a we thermostat, as it's not getting up to temp when driving, but is when stopped. Hope that's not too hard of a job.

As for spoiler, I'm only thinking of a little M3 lip one like Soupie said, not one off an impreza lol

Ours currently has a temp problem as weel only it remains low most of the time! About 6/7 years ago the same symtoms were relieved by a new sender ( top rear of engine near base of screen ) Hope it's the same this time !
Our total Invoice was , gulp, £29451.70 -- dated 23 July 1999, metallic,Bose,electric roof,sideguard .

( we had a CD autochanger added after delivery as well another £400 but at least it had the cable already fitted from the boot to H/U. We have also had rear parking added)

pm me your email and I'll send you a PDF price list from the time, I'd put it up here but Forum has a limit on size and this PDF is about 3 times the limit !!

Xenons were £940, Recaros £855, metallic £431,Bose £519

Last edited:
Looks very nice, best colour too, saw this one for sale and looked like a bargain.

Last edited: