My new RS3 - Daytona

JonnyG

Reaction score
I picked up my brand new RS3 last Tuesday 11th Sept from Leeds Audi, which will replace my much loved Golf R. Hats off to Paul at Leeds Audi ... fantastic customer service and they bent over backwards to clinch a deal.

A few early pics here :-

91c87f6b.jpg

6094f5ce.jpg

4bec1628.jpg

b0a8c17c.jpg

First impressions and a comparison with my old Golf R (I come from a Golf GTi, R32 and R background for the last 6 six years) :)

Firstly the engine : the biggest pulling factor for me and I'm certainly not disappointed. Anyone missing the sound of the R32's V6 in their Mk 6 Golf, but wanting more power than that old 3.2 unit, will not be disapponted with the RS3's 2.5TFSI. Lots of low down grunt and a fantastic tingly warble from about 3500rp upwards ... loving it !!

7-speed S-tronic - Another pulling factor me was this 7-speed box .. I love VW's DSG and, and as I do a fair bit of motorway driving, the 7th gear on this S-tronic is great for a quieter, relaxed cruise with excellent mpg. When an overtake blast is required, just drop a couple gears on the paddles and whoosh .... :thumbsup: In manual mode the S-tronic does not auto change up at the red line (not tested by me yet as running in still) and neither does it kickdown.

So those are the best bits and where the RS3 excels IMHO compared to the R.

Now the rest :-

Handling / Cornering / Ride - The RS3 has a similar feel to the R on high speed bends, lots of grip and traction. On tighter corners though I have to say I prefer the Golf R so far. The RS3 doe'snt feel as "chuckable" as the R. Perhaps I hav'nt really got to grips with the RS3 yet but when negotiating tight roundabouts near where I live the RS3 does not "flow" from left-right-left as well as the R. Probably due to the additional up front weight.

The ride in the RS3 feels firm and taut and very similar to my R (which had 19"s and standard spec suspension). Over sharper irregularities the RS3 feels to cushion the blow more than the R, as if there was more rubber thickness (although there is'nt any - it is the same 235/35/19 profile on the fronts ;D). The tyres on the RS3 are Contisport 5p's.

Running Costs - The RS3 is looking remarkably similar to the R here :)

- Insurance is the same (only £280 for me and the wife with Privilege).
- Tax is £255 a year.
- MPG is looking to be similar (due to 7th gear on motoway cruise) but I'm expecting slightly lower long term.
- Finance monthy payments are actually the same as the R despite £7k additional on finance).
- No servicing pack unfortunatley but I have taken out a 4th year Audi warranty on the RS3 (for £245 extra).
- Also the RS3 comes with 3 years Audi breakdown cover as standard.

All in all well impressed so far, and I can't wait for the running in period to end.

Super looking car Jonny. Hope you enjoy driving it. :) x

Jonny........You didn't bend over to clinch the deal.did you.

That Insurance quote seems very cheap.?

Very nice, hope you enjoy it :)
Any mods planned ?

Loads more photos after a wash yesterday :s3addict:

Dscf1905_zps1e0637ef.jpg

IMG_0096_zpscc997213.jpg

IMG_0116_zps8c8f26b2.jpg

IMG_0107_zpse6df7b9f.jpg

IMG_0130_zps729f311e.jpg

Img_0104_zps94b98716.jpg

Img_0165_zps8d63d277.jpg

Img_0156_zpsb66671ef.jpg

Dscf1904_zpsbae05111.jpg

Img_0127_zps68f1b806.jpg

Img_0137_zps4e97a45e.jpg

IMG_0109_zpsaa310738.jpg

IMG_0086_zpsf845263a.jpg

IMG_0113_zpsc54ca86b.jpg

DSCF1902_zps07ddaadd.jpg

IMG_0131_zpsde98973c.jpg

Img_0163_zpsdd1107e2.jpg

IMG_0153_zps30d0c95f.jpg

Img_0168_zps4c5234ea.jpg

IMG_0117_zpseb336f55.jpg

Img_0164_zps4714ecb5.jpg

Last edited:
Best colour I think, looks absolutely stunning, beautiful car mate.

Er, Ibis is the best (and fastest) colour! ;)

Ibis, the no cost option colour that almost everyone seems to have these days! ;)

Daytona, Sepang and Suzuka are my current faves, but ibis does look sharp with opensky and black edition granted!

No cost option that SELLS! When I was looking they were being sold as I was enquiring, the others seem to just sit there, overpriced, nd never sell. See PistonHeads for examples ;)

I love the Sepang (or is it Sprint?) blue but the few that were for sale were just silly money, and in 12 months time that money will be lost :(

I'm very happy with my Ibis with black optics :)

if you want it to handle a little better, get an uprated ARB set, it'll feel much lighter in the corners

Looks absolutely stunning!

Everything about he car is perfect. Definitely the best colour choice.

Have to admit when i seen your insurance cost i thought you must be about 60 with 70 years no claims :ninja:

Have fun with the car!!

I picked up my brand new RS3 last Tuesday 11th Sept from Leeds Audi, which will replace my much loved Golf R. Hats off to Paul at Leeds Audi ... fantastic customer service and they bent over backwards to clinch a deal.

A few early pics here :-

91c87f6b.jpg

6094f5ce.jpg

4bec1628.jpg

b0a8c17c.jpg

First impressions and a comparison with my old Golf R (I come from a Golf GTi, R32 and R background for the last 6 six years) :)

Firstly the engine : the biggest pulling factor for me and I'm certainly not disappointed. Anyone missing the sound of the R32's V6 in their Mk 6 Golf, but wanting more power than that old 3.2 unit, will not be disapponted with the RS3's 2.5TFSI. Lots of low down grunt and a fantastic tingly warble from about 3500rp upwards ... loving it !!

7-speed S-tronic - Another pulling factor me was this 7-speed box .. I love VW's DSG and, and as I do a fair bit of motorway driving, the 7th gear on this S-tronic is great for a quieter, relaxed cruise with excellent mpg. When an overtake blast is required, just drop a couple gears on the paddles and whoosh .... :thumbsup: In manual mode the S-tronic does not auto change up at the red line (not tested by me yet as running in still) and neither does it kickdown.

So those are the best bits and where the RS3 excels IMHO compared to the R.

Now the rest :-

Handling / Cornering / Ride - The RS3 has a similar feel to the R on high speed bends, lots of grip and traction. On tighter corners though I have to say I prefer the Golf R so far. The RS3 doe'snt feel as "chuckable" as the R. Perhaps I hav'nt really got to grips with the RS3 yet but when negotiating tight roundabouts near where I live the RS3 does not "flow" from left-right-left as well as the R. Probably due to the additional up front weight.

The ride in the RS3 feels firm and taut and very similar to my R (which had 19"s and standard spec suspension). Over sharper irregularities the RS3 feels to cushion the blow more than the R, as if there was more rubber thickness (although there is'nt any - it is the same 235/35/19 profile on the fronts ;D). The tyres on the RS3 are Contisport 5p's.

Running Costs - The RS3 is looking remarkably similar to the R here :)

- Insurance is the same (only £280 for me and the wife with Privilege).
- Tax is £255 a year.
- MPG is looking to be similar (due to 7th gear on motoway cruise) but I'm expecting slightly lower long term.
- Finance monthy payments are actually the same as the R despite £7k additional on finance).
- No servicing pack unfortunatley but I have taken out a 4th year Audi warranty on the RS3 (for £245 extra).
- Also the RS3 comes with 3 years Audi breakdown cover as standard.

All in all well impressed so far, and I can't wait for the running in period to end.
Hi
I`m in the process of possibly buying your car .Going to view it on Saturday.I was wondering if it is possible to speak to you about it. My number is 01204 571636. (day) Neil. Thank you.