My New S3 - and Thanks to Ali

The911SC

Reaction score
Hi All,
I know a couple of people have PM'd me about my recent order so I thought I would do a quick roundup..

So, Thursday cam around quite quickly and after a call to Audi Insurance on Ali's recommendation, I got my free 7 day cover helping me with the changeover logistics.

Started from South Wales at about 7 am and the TT went like a dream all the way up to the m4/m5 and then up to Stratford to go and see Alistair from Listers Audi.

I find Listers largely due to the help of my RNS low nav in the TT and the garage is tucked away at the end of a small road. Its smaller than I thought and a jam packed car pack of top flight cars so I find the last space in the carpark, then find I cant get out of the TT!.. I am comforted that my money doesnt go to fund a top flight 'hanger' style showroom (unlike my local dealer!).
On arrival I was greeted by rather a young chap :))) that turned out to be Alastair himself. Meet and greet and a cup of coffee we get the paperwork out of the way.
Now a walk around my long awaited S3 and largely, all is ok. A small detailing job is required which Alastair gets on straight away getting a pro valet person to call over. We have some time to kill so Al gets the keys for the RS6 I already spotted and we go for a 'play' in it.
The car rumbles out of the car park and feels like any other 6 at this point. We move to a stretch of road and then...:hubbahubba: , it almost makes you inards hurt!, it is just awesome. We find a backroad and I drive; its addictive and I am grinning all over my face. A bit of fun later, we return to the garage, and we are just waiting for my car to get finished up. I ask to borrow a car to go get some lunch and Ali re appears with keys to a new TTS in black (nice!) :applaus:.
I go for a quick spin around; its nice, but the S tronic spoils the fun. I find a top pub just on the outskirts of Stratford and have a great meal and a chat with the friendly owner.
I then get back and fair play the car is perfect.. Ali throws a free umbrella in the boot and after talking mountain bikes fo half an hour, I grab the keys and head off in the sunshine...

I take it easy for the first couple of miles as I intend to run it in carefully... I get to a dual carriageway and just allow the car to reach 4k in third.. It pulls really strongly!.
I bang the cruise on at 50 as there are loads of cameras around there and head back south picking up the m5, then m50 for fun..
The car runs great and returns a good 30 plus mpg on the run.

Made good time coming back and tuck the car away in the garage ready for my quick RNS retrofit.
10 minutes later the RNS is in and a tweak with VAG com and all the settings are setup inc the S3 startup screen and bose. The sound seems MUCH better than the concert radio now sitting on my garage floor and the phone prep all integrates nicely.

So, I do want to say a big thanks to Aliaudi and Listers in Stratford. It was a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone (lol mention my name if you call Ali!). Listers make a big effort in going the extra mile and seem to be amongst the most genuine dealers I have met.

Ali, if you read this, please also thank Pete (sales manager) and Lou and Ed.

Going to give the car the once over with the Megs and poorboys this weekend...

Anyway, hope someone finds this at least partly useful.

:blackrs4::s3addict:

Audi stratford always seem to impress...

The bit about you and Alistair with the wind in your hair, hearts pounding in the RS6 almost reads like a romantic novel! Nice lol.
Seriously though, i've made a few enquiries with Alistair recently and i only ever hear good things about Stratford Audi. A you say, they're a smaller outfit so probably less pretentious and more customer orientated which is brilliant.

Not sure about taking a potential S3 buyer out in an RS6 though....Thats like saying "unlucky son, here's what you could have won..." lol

I have just had my 02 S3 back from Listers in Coventry with the indicator relay and door lock replaced on warranty as I paid for cover when buying from them and I have to say Craig Bales and Helen Clarke are very helpful.
Also Listers bodyshop are taking my car in for roof rails warranty work next week so am happy.

The bit about you and Alistair with the wind in your hair, hearts pounding in the RS6 almost reads like a romantic novel! Nice lol.

Not sure about taking a potential S3 buyer out in an RS6 though....Thats like saying "unlucky son, here's what you could have won..." lol

Lol, i dont think I said that!? maybe your reading something else lol!..

As far as the rs6 goes, having had some Porches and an showroom fresh RS4, I dont feel that way about the 6 in the slightest.
I am not sure 'how' you could use over 500 PS in any situation other than track days and autobahn cruising.. Its a strange car with a very niche narrowing market imo. I would have a second hand RS4 for 43K and keep the change of the 80K price tag in my pocket!... But then again, I dont want 40K tied up in a car right now hence the S3 and its just right...

Expensive cars end up owning you giving you worry when you park and leave the car and running costs are only going one way over the next 3 years at least if you ask me...

Lol, i dont think I said that!? maybe your reading something else lol!..

As far as the rs6 goes, having had some Porches and an showroom fresh RS4, I dont feel that way about the 6 in the slightest.
I am not sure 'how' you could use over 500 PS in any situation other than track days and autobahn cruising.. Its a strange car with a very niche narrowing market imo. I would have a second hand RS4 for 43K and keep the change of the 80K price tag in my pocket!... But then again, I dont want 40K tied up in a car right now hence the S3 and its just right...

Expensive cars end up owning you giving you worry when you park and leave the car and running costs are only going one way over the next 3 years at least if you ask me...

Totally agree with you, it's not even the initial outlay of buying an expensive car anymore it's the genral running costs, fuel, tax, tyres, services, risk of jealous vandals.

How are you finding the car so far? Everything you hoped it would be?
I've been looking at an A5 but due to the 'no UK S-Line' farse i'm not ruling out an S3 still...

funnily enough I was torn between an A5 and S3. With the new 2 litre turrbo being available with quattro, that will be my next car. I think the no sline thing is a rumour, since when didnt we have S line over here in all other models but they will likely drip them in next year to sell sport models..
The 1.8T sport I took out was very nice; the new engine having more go than the older 20v 1.8t but still not enough to pull that wide body shell along imo. The standard spec is excellent though; upgrade in wheels and a few other things and your there.. the std concert is now fully mp3 and SD card compatable with an RNS style tv in the dash. The speaker and amp combo is great too; the sub being ver powerfull (I took some leftfield mp3s with me to pump it up!). Go try one.

The S3 on the other hand is a different kind of car entirely; much more urgent and you can tick all the option boxes for the price if the basic A5 2.0TQ (when it is released!).

My S3 is going well and going to get the megs treatments today given the weather!. My wife drove it around most of yesterday after my 4 yr old insisted on being taken to school in it (Oh no!)..

Glad you're loving the S3, there's a lot to love about it!
I did test drive 3 cars... A5 3.0 TDI quattro sport, BMW 330d M-Sport coupe and the S3. I know what you're thinking, all quite different, but i have my reasons! lol

Anyway, the 3.0 diesel in the A5 felt right for the car, nice cruising engine, plenty of power while remaining economical. With the S-Line pack it'll be an absolute gem, stiffer handling, 10mm lower, aggressive styling etc. So i'll wait and see how that pans out.

On the S3 though, it's just a great all rounder isn't it. I wouldn't even put it in the hot hatch catagory, seems a bit disrespectful to the car given the competition....If there is any?!
Is yours the facelift or have they not started filtering through yet?

I really am caught in 2 minds whether to just bite the bullet and get an S3 for a year til Audi pull their finger out and give us an S-Line A5 with a greater range of engines (the new more economical 2.0T with lower emissions, increased bhp etc). Could be the way forward me thinks.

Glad you had a safe journey home. always nice to get a bit of feedback after delivery day as well.. I'll be giving you a call in 6-7 months to get your A5 on order!! Thanks very much for your business-glad you got an umbrella now I bet, with the forecast this weekend!!

Enjoy the weekend, i'll speak to you Monday...

cheers

Aliaudi

I used to always recommend Ali from Stratford Audi, but since I didn't get a free umbrella when i bought my S3, ive gone right off him

:lmfao:

My S3 came from Stratford, my sales chap was Stuart. They totally understood that I wanted a no hassle transaction and that my car needed to be mint.

The service this year for my S3 came up to the same high standard. They even took it into the work shop straight away to avoid anyone bashing it in the car park which is quite busy.

prt57