My new S3 Black Edition - Brilliant black

stetheo - To be honest buddy it spends long periods in the winter in a lot worse state! I struggle to find the time to keep totally on top of it!

The Governor - There's a bit of a review above the before pics, basically feels a lot more fun, responsive, understeer is dramatically reduced and I feel it even rides a little nicer. Totally vouch for this kit on this car! See more above...

Sorry, I scrolled up after I commented as I've forgotten I'd read it before. The kit isn't too expensive either is it, at about £170 ish? How were the fitting costs?

I'm liking this for my TDi BE Quattro...

Well I think the kit is about 160inc VAT for an S3, although remember that application only has the front springs. I paid £150 all in for Unit 18 in Milton Keynes to fit the kit, conduct a 4-wheel alignment and also a VCDS check due to some unrelated Haldex issues. If you have the spare cash, go for it. Like you said, such a dramatic enhancement in looks with such a subtle change and the handling is much improved in every area.

Cars looking good buddy... I've just got a set of the H&R 25mm springs... Think it'll make such a difference to my car for something so subtle

Cheers Jacko, yours too.. You won't be disappointed matey if they're anywhere near as sorted as the Eibach.

Batch do you have any pics of your embossed leather? As I've always fancied this thanks

Cheers bro, yes it does! As I said, for such a minimal change the visual impact is massive!

Thanks Mr_Sixx, it's my pride and joy!

Here's a quick snap of the new look, it's not the best position on a slope but you get the idea. Just tucks the front down discreetly but compared to standard it makes all the difference!

been toying with the idea of springs either eibach or h&r but I only think it is the front that has to come down on the s3 so eibachs are looking the best way forward. have you got a side on pic? quite handy because it is rotors that I have too..

Reactions: mechanic69 and Hoesty
Not really an update, but worth sharing... Proof of the old adage, if you don't ask you don't get! Car went in for a service today, and after a chat with my salesman I ended up with this on demo...

These things are BEASTS! It's not as quick cross-country as my mapped S3 but the wave of torque and superb S-Tronic box are phenomenal, and I couldn't take 4 of my mates across the country with luggage at 40mpg in my S3...
Gotta be considered for my next Audi!

Reactions: Kelza and Dave-S3
So I bit the bullet and purchased my first serious bit of detailing kit, a DAS-6 kit with Dodo pads from Juicy Detailing...

Have to say I was really impressed by the helpful friendly service and rapid delivery of my kit. And, true to my form, it chooses to **** it down for the duration of the long weekend the day after I get it!

been toying with the idea of springs either eibach or h&r but I only think it is the front that has to come down on the s3 so eibachs are looking the best way forward. have you got a side on pic? quite handy because it is rotors that I have too..

Eibachs are good, brings front end down just right and takes away the twitchy front end. Add decent dampers like Bilsteins to finish it off.

Eibachs are good, brings front end down just right and takes away the twitchy front end. Add decent dampers like Bilsteins to finish it off.

I reviewed my experience above. I feel that the Pro-Kit front springs actually match the damper piston "reach" better than the originals and also certainly make the car sit better! I firmly believe that uprated dampers aren't essential however that's me talking with a 12k car, definitely worth an upgrade rather than OEM replacement if you're on higher miles.

Just a quick question for those in the know - am I correct thinking that a genuine RS3 grille will fit mine? Been offered a genuine one, good price although one of the fixings has broken (top right I believe).
Any help would be appreciated!

Yes I have an original RS3 grill in my S3 bumper... Straight fit. Just make sure you make the holes for the air intake at the top right of your grill

Reactions: batch
Cheers Ash! Just got to decide if I want the gloss black mesh or not - I've always felt it'd be lost on a black motor...

I went for the alu, didn't want the black on black although it has been done here by others so you should be able to find a pic to compare

In an ideal world I'd have alu mesh with my piano black bezel. Would suit the rotors and mirrors.

Not sure if you'll have seen this one if your a fan of the SQ5

1DADFEA5-C870-40F0-97DE-2CA900C18666_zpsmbvyo0y3.jpg

Rather cool if you ask me

Reactions: Sayam
Been ages since I've posted, or really even come on here - been mega-busy and nothing really to report with the car - just been enjoying it, and sadly neglecting it a bit too! She hasn't had a proper detailing session since the spring, which I'm addressing with a couple of friends on the 20th! In the meantime, treated the beastie to a refurb on the two kerbed wheels, as well as picking up a spare rotor for a bargain £180.00 - stated minor kerbing which actually turned out to be a simple mark. Also replaced the rear Bridgestone RE050s, on 2mm, with a pair of Michelin PS3 XLs at the bargain price of £195 all in, and these have been swapped to the front.
Quick clean today after the wheels and new tyres were refitted, finally looking respectable!

And a pic of the under-rated Rotor as it arrived to me...

Got the rim from some recycling place in Essex via the 'Bay, couldn't believe the condition-price ratio! As for the refurb, I'd recommend Diamond Styling in Sevenoaks, Kent for ANYONE in London and the South-East needing rotors doing. Guy is a genius - two of mine were properly f**ked!
If anyone reading this can get hold of a replacement black edition grille and surround please let me know, I've had a minor bump after the handbrake pinged off and crunched my number plate bar!

So yesterday afternoon/evening was spent in the company of one of my best mates, giving my S3 a comprehensive pre-winter detail (yes I know - should have been in October but I've been too busy!).
Started with a thorough wash to get rid of the film of crap. After the rinse, I sprayed the whole car with Iron-X, left to dwell and hose-rinsed before a full claying.
As it was only a quick session, we then machine-polished the whole car using G-Techniq P1 on a Dodo Juice green pad.
Following this it was a quick swipe of Prima Amigo followed by Auto Finesse Tough Coat, finishing with AD Obsession wax. The wheels/tyres were treated with Poorboys wheel seal and Meguiar's Endurance respectively, and finally all the trim and the front grille were given a light wipe of Auto Finesse Trim Dressing.
Didn't have a chance for many pictures (we didn't finish till 10pm!) but added a couple below. Hope you all approve!

After the claybar and rinse...

And the finished article!

Sorry for the crap iPhone pics... As usual the camera was my last thought when packing kit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake 61 and RedDejavu
Hmmm, decisions decisions...
Do I replace the cracked grille with another standard one, or with an Alu pack RS3 item and use my black surround?
RS3 grille looks epic, but we are talking over £400 difference!

Apologies for nicking the pictures, thanks to Ash187 I believe for the RS pic?!

Rs3 grill all the way batch ,cars still looking hot ..:thumbs up:

Thanks Kelza! Really can't decide, it's a lot of extra wedge and I'm not sure Audi would appreciate it when it goes back!

Reactions: grchmason
I haven't managed to clean the car since my huge pre-Christmas detail, so having a day off I thought I'd get stuck in.
I recently bought a Nilfisk C120 washer from Autobrite-Direct which came with their own HD snow foam lance and 5L of Magifoam. My in-laws have an old JCB washer which isn't great, so was keen to try this out. I wasn't disappointed!
Absolutely caked the car in thick, clingy foam that made reassuring splats when blobs eventually fell off, and even before I used a bucket, Megs shampoo and wash mitts it was already looking mint again...

Once I'd washed and dried it, decided another coat of wax couldn't hurt, so set about applying the fantastic Autobrite Direct Obsession wax. STUPIDLY did the whole car in one go as I was running out of time. Went to buff the car and guess what? It wouldn't budge. Not at all! I spent ages on the roof just to get shiny swirls of wax, before admitting defeat! Fairly sure it just got too cold, as when it was really rubbed it softened and buffed up.
I'm going to go back tomorrow, give it another wash and see what I'm left with. Hopefully a wash with plenty of shampoo, in very hot water, will shift it. If anyone has similar experiences or knowledge let me know; Otherwise, wish me luck!

Been looking at trading in a year early, as currently in a very good space between settlement figure and book value, so am in discussions with a couple of dealers about the new S3 Sportback, possibly an RS3 and even considering a 330dX touring with the M-Sport Plus package as they are very competitive and I have first hand experience of how outright fast those 330d's are!

Any comments on any of the above welcome!

Very nice :)

Can you post the dimensions from the center of the rims to the under edge of the guard please?

Cheers Baz

After you have done that can you pop round a make me a nice cup of Tea lol!!!!!!

Reactions: S., batch and Sayam
That's the proper way to measure ride height.
No influence from rim or tyre size.
I want to see how different it is from my Oz delivered S3 ;)

Saw this today when checking the oil;
To me that doesn't seem like a huge amount of sludge and as it's performing fine, temp is spot on and Coolant isn't particularly low I am hoping this is just a side effect of sitting for a few days?!

Do you do short journeys? Mine gets the same due to short journeys to work, isn't a problem if it's not consuming coolant

nice thread pal , really like your car just a question bud of course you've had the car for a while now 3 years? if you could change things would you of got a sportback s3 rather than 3 door? I do want to buy an s3 towards the start of next year also what mpg are you averaging now?