My new (to me!) B6 S4

An unsuccessful attempt to bleed the brakes with an Eezibleed kit this afternoon. Went as high as 25psi (Eezibleed max. 20psi) but couldn't get anything other than a slight trickle through the bleed nipple. Just as a reminder, all four brake hoses have been replaced and the ABS module removed.

Moved onto the manual method with a helper, manged to get a little more fluid through but still not enough. Then hooked up VCDS to try and push fluid through the ABS pump in ABS basic settings, but group 2 (brake bleeding) had an error and was unavailable.

Will have another go with the manual method one night this week as that seemed only method with any action.

With the steering angle sensor it may need recalibrating. I did this on mine a few weeks back as the code wouldn't clear with vcds. I can't remember the exact process but I got the details off the Ross tech website under 'procedures'.

Pleased to hear the ABS & ESP lights are off at last though. Good work and progress.

Not counting my chickens yet with the ABS and ESP lights. Haven't driven it yet until I can sort the brakes.

I did see in the ABS basic settings an option for steering angle sensor calibration.

Tonight managed to un-do the bolts holding the driveshaft to the engine on the passenger side, it's a 10mm spline bolt. But cant seem to get the driveshaft out by turning the wheel all the way in one direction, doesn't seem to be enough movement to release it.

Moved onto the rounded rocker cover bolt as picked up a small can of welding gas from machine mart on the way home from work, only to find out that I'm missing a small piece from my mini bottle regulator. Guessing I cut it off when fitting the big bottle regulator. Annoying as will have to buy another for £15.

010120110.jpg

I feel for you mate, this is turning in to a saga. I sold my S4 tonight and reading this makes me glad I did!

Nah, although a PITA, I kinda like this stuff. I don't have my classic Mini anymore so nice to tinker with stuff, although the parts are a lot more expensive!

I have another car otherwise it would've been very difficult to have off the road for so long.

Some good news today.

Last night I managed to remove the drivers side driveshaft from the car without removing the top arms, but not without starting with the pinch bolt. Got it out but damaged in the process so will have to order another.

Driveshaft sorted ready to go back on once the new bolts arrive.

Also just managed to crack loose the tricky rear bolt on the rocker cover. I think my terrible attempt to weld a bolt to it (which failed miserably) may have heated it enough to break the seal as I was able to loosen it freely. Not sure whether it's broken yet as haven't got the cover off. Just had a power cut so all light gone.

Rocker cover off, bolt came out all in one piece.

Tips for S4 owners.

I found it easier to remove the air box completely, gave better access to that rear left bolt.

I also found it easier to remove the front left headlight to get access to the front left bolt.

The fuel hoses on the top of the engine on the drivers side get in the way a bit :-(

Will start removing the passenger side driveshaft today :)

Productive evening tonight.

Passenger rocker cover back on and the engine bay looks like an engine again. All bits refitted, just need to pickup a couple of hose clips for the rocker covers.

Refit the driveshaft, much easier with the heat-shield out. New bolts used for drivershaft inner and hub end. Then re-fitting the heat-shield something didn't feel quite right when tightening the bolts, hopefully it hasn't threaded.

New top arm pinch bolt fitted also.

Just need to torque the above, my 3/8 to 1/2 adapter is stuck on an extension and so need to get a new one.

Friday night hopefully will remove passenger driveshaft.
Saturday re-fit driveshaft, bleed brakes, oil change and torque the lower arms.

Then, fingers crossed, done!

Good stuff. Let us know how you get on with the other day I've shaft etc

Two steps forward three steps back.

I noticed the brake disc was missing the screw holding it in. All the work I've been doing around the suspension/drive shaft etc. has worked it loose. I can't now get it to hold in place to get the wheel back on. There doesn't seem to be a hole in the hub for the screw so want to remove the disc to check it out.

Of course my 150 piece Halfords socket set doesn't have a 7mm hex bit to remove the caliper and I can't remove the caliper retaining nuts (21mm?) even with a breaker :(

So next step is to try and remove the caliper then the disc to see why no screw hole. The discs have a bit of a lip so might be time to replace them anyway.

A quick look at the passenger side drive shaft, it's a lot deeper into the engine than the drivers side so access is trickier. Eventually managed to get the hub nut loose, had to use the jack handle over the top of breaker bar it was so tight!

Terrible forecast for the morning so hopefully get some time in the afternoon.

My A4 doesn't have a thread in the hub for disc attachment and when I spoke to a motor factors in the past they couldn't find a bolt listed for any of the engines so I assume none of the range have them mate.. Have you looked whether the other side has one?

As above, my S4 had no screws securing the discs and no holes for them either

Mine doesn't either on 2.5 V6Q. No screw. I just have line the holes up and be very careful when lifting the wheel onto the disc as to not disturb the disc.

If you have a spare body around, line the disc up and ask them to press the brake pedal to hold the disc. Just double check after the brakes are applied that the disc hasn't moved slightly. Sometimes i put two bolts back in until the brakes are on, then remove and fit the wheel.

Reactions: Northampton_ofn
My 1.9tdi doesn't have the screw holes either.

I have a pair of these which makes life a lot easier to get the wheel on, and is a god send when you also run spacers.

Yup, disc off, no holes for screw. Strange as Mike supplied me with screws, would make life a lot easier if the disc was screwed on!

Going to leave the discs on for now, look like they have a little bit of life left and change them when the weathers a bit warmer brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Now to find the correct torque for the caliper retaining nuts etc.

Cheers all.

Not a productive day today :(

Absolutely no luck with bleeding the brakes. I tried with the Eizibleed and the manual method. I could only get a little fluid out of the drivers side front and nothing out the rest. Nothing comes out of any bleed nipple with the Eizibleed at 20psi. I tried with VCDS, in ABS module, basic settings, option 2 for bleeding brake system but says "option not available" or something like that. I'm guessing that the ABS module is still completely empty after being removed and repaired but without the option to cycle the ABS pump in VCDS I'm not sure where to go with this.

So gave up with that and move onto removing the passenger front driveshaft. It actually has slightly easier access than the drivers side even though it's further into the engine bay. I had to remove what I think it the headlamp auto adjust module as it's in the way of heat shield bolts. Heat shield off gives better access to the six bolts holding driveshaft onto the engine. Engine bolts removed, ****** tight, breaker needed, but can't get the driveshaft out in the same way as there's a few pipes in the way limiting access to wiggle the driveshaft about.

Gave up as getting cold and late. Will try again tomorrow.

Right, so today got the passenger side driveshaft out and back on again, not without a whole host of curses and cuts and bruises. What a job, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to be honest, ****ing nightmare. But now done. So all good. Heatshields etc. back on.

Went to start the engine to get the oil warm so I could do an oil and filter change. Car wouldn't ****** start, dead as a dodo. Where I'd had the ignition on to turn the front wheels side to side I heard the fans coming on every now and again. Guess it drained the battery good and proper. Of course my jump leads aren't long enough to reach my other car to charge. So need to order a battery charger, heard good things about CTEK, was looking at something like this as my battery is 95ah/800cca

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...ntenance/battery-charger/?447440170&0&cc5_145

So off to start a new thread on how to bleed brakes once the ABS module has been changed.

Hang in there mate, you'll get there in the end. If you were local, I'd pop over and help you out!

Yup I know, just got to keeping working through. Just want to drive it as been off road now for six weeks.

Just the brakes now to bleed and oil change.

List of working done:

Rocker cover gaskets changed.
Inner CV boots changed.
Front lower front arms changed.
ABS module repaired.
Vacuum solenoid replaced.
Rear bump stops changed.
All four brake hoses changed.

Reactions: rjm180
Keep on going mate. You'll get there. You certainly have far more patience than I do. Nice write up too. Thanks.

Ha yeah, I keep writing up as nothing worth than searching and finding a thread with the same problem but no update with an answer!

Happened so many times to me, find someone with the same issue but no further response just when you think you've cracked it.

Reactions: rjm180
Dont get dishearten mate and keep going! Have you asked the company that repaired the ABS unit for help or tips as it sounds like you have a airlock somewhere.keep the write up going and good luck to you and hope you sort it soon.

Definitely an air lock somewhere. I'm not sure why I can't cycle the ABS pump using VCDS though as I thought this was to eliminate this.

I've read that the system needs at least 2 bar (30psi) to bleed the system hence why the Eizibleed (max 20psi) isn't doing anything.

Unfortunately the page on RossTech which every forum seems to link to is down :( http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/absbleeding.html

Maybe I need a bigger pressure bleeder.

I always thought that you shouldn't go over 20PSI max when pressure bleeding, or it can pop seals in the master cylinder?

Also have you tried logging in before trying the brake bleeding cycle?

I thought the same but it seems the more I read the more it looks like 2 bar is needed.

Just found out a friend of a friend of a friend (etc.) is a mechanic at a local Audi dealership so I've text him to ask around in the workshop. Hopefully hear back soon!

So the Audi tech said their systems run at 1.5-2 bar (22-30psi) and the system can take more. So, the 20psi max of the Eezibleed doesn't sound enough, especially with so much air in the system. It's probably enough for a standard flush/fluid change.

He couldn't explain why I couldn't use VCDS to cycle the ABS pump and run the brake bleed system. I guess that's the first port of call.

Might order something like this .Amazon product

Runs up to 28psi which should be enough, also means no need to faff around with pumping a spare wheel to the correct psi. Once I've got the battery recharged I'll try running the ABS pump through VCDS again.

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought pressure was your enemy here. The problem is that the abs unit has been completely drained and I don't think you can bleed it with all the pressure in the world if it isn't cycled correctly.

As a last resort,
I have heard of individuals that have got the air out of the abs system by activating it I.E. Running the car up to speed and deliberately activating the abs to pump the air through. If you can get enough fluid in your brakes to get it working, take the car out to somewhere like a wet car park and run it up to speed and jam the anchors on a few times.

Good point. First step then to work out why I can't cycle the ABS unit. Hopefully the battery charger will be here tomorrow :)

From memory when bleeding the abs pump you need to open BOTH front nipples when you get the pump running and then BOTH rear nipplesnipples to get the air out. The lack of pressure is not a problem, in fact too much pressure can shut the valves in the pump down so no fluid will come out.

The latest version I believe but will have to double check.

Ok as long as it's not the shareware version of VCDS Lite it should be able to access the ABS module.
Been a few years since I last did an ABS pump bleed with VCDS, but it guides you through the whole process i.e which nipple to open etc..

Reactions: Scott0583
Yeah that's what I'd read also.

That's my first port of call. Once the battery is recharged I should be able to take a look. Hopefully this weekend :)

EDIT: Sorry should have said, genuine cable with full software.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, VCDS is version 15.7.1.

The battery charger has been on for a couple of hours so I have interior lights/etc. again. Just logged into VCDS to see if the brake bleed sequence was available but it isn't. See screenshots.

I was thinking, would I need to have entered a workshop code for it to work? As I still have VCDS set as 0. Or should the engine be running rather than on ignition?

Attachments

• ABS module.jpg
    ABS module.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Basic Settings.jpg
    Basic Settings.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 283
If I recall correctly, yes you do need a workshop code. Again, if my memory serves me right, you can enter anything. It's been a few years since I've done it so someone may come along and correct me...

So, changed WS code from 00000 to 12345 and still no luck.

Strangely, group 1 option in basic settings (steering wheel calibration) also isn't available and I'll need to do that as error code has come up in scan.

Read a few forums today (should've kept the links) that suggest the Bosch 5.7 unit doesn't require bleeding using VCDS. Battery fully charged, tried with engine on and off, still group 2 not available.

Tried Login (added code) then coding (added code) then basic settings, this time group 1 was available but group 2 still not.

Will try bleeding the brakes with the engine running now the battery is fully charged enough to start it. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Reactions: Laurie P
Oil and filter change done. Longest part of that job is waiting for 9 litres of oil to go through my puny funnel! Love the easy positioning of the oil filter housing compared to other cars I've worked on.

Didn't get a chance to get on the brakes today, hopefully some time tomorrow afternoon.

Still struggling with the brakes. Tried bleeding them again this evening with the engine running. Only tried the front passenger caliper so far, to start with no fluid coming from the bleed nipple (manual method), then a couple of spurts of fluid with plenty of bubbles in it, then nothing. Continued with the manual method for a while and still nothing. Then another small spurt with plenty of bubbles then nothing. Tried another 10 or so pumps and nothing. Tried again with the Eizibleed and nothing at 20psi.

Didn't move on to any other calipers. Tried the output test in VCDS for the ABS pump rather basic settings, let the pump run for a while and opened the bleed nipple and nothing.

Going to try gravity bleeding now but not expecting it to work.

At a bit of a road block here as can't drive the car and running out of ideas. Might end up having to call a mobile mechanic to give it a go :(