My review - adding 'Audi Drive Select' - A4 B8.5

besters

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello all,

Having recently installed Audi Drive Select using VCDS I'd like to share my experience with it as I know there are varying opinions on it's effectiveness.

My car - 2014 A4 B8.5 Allroad 3.0 TDi.

Coding using VCDS - fairly straight forward having followed the guides in 'audienthusiasts.com' and YouTube.
Did it do what was expected from a car not originally fitted with ADS? - Yes, all the additional driving modes were available and yes I personally noticed differences in the steering, throttle and and auto (s-tronic) gear changes. The changes in steering are small but noticeable, throttle response was more noticeable in Comfort, Dynamic and Efficiency modes.
Any negatives? - I ran ADS for about 6 weeks changing modes quite frequently to try to measure the differences between the modes but I didn't feel comfortable about the way the car was behaving at certain speeds/throttle position etc, particularly the gear changes.
Was it all worth it? - Not for me. I removed ADS and reverted back to the original, immediately the driving behaviour changed and became more refined and the clunky gear changes experienced at low speed mostly disappeared.

When changing coding for ADS install I was very careful to change the coding correctly and I'm sure I hadn't made any mistakes. I can't say why my car behaved the way that it did, maybe there's more to getting ADS working properly for cars not originally fitted with it from the factory? I'm glad I tried it though.
I'm more than happy with the way the car drives now and realised I don't have a big need for the additional driving modes.

Hope this helps if you have similar issues or making a decision to install ADS.

Dave

I've also enabled it in my B8.5 S4. The only difference I can tell is that the sound aktuator is louder in dynamic than in comfort. Nothing much else really.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Very good review. I was slightly obsessed with adding ADS via Carista a few years back on my A4 S line, 2.0 TFSI. Standard factory s line suspension and 6SM.

I have VCDS and might play around with it again. But your review makes me wonder if there's any ROI in the effort.