My RNS-E install, with double DIN conversion

Reaction score
Hello from Norway!

Initially posted this on audizine, but wanted to share it here aswell. Can be removed if considered a "double post". I know there's great DIY's on this topic already :)

Anyways, this spring I decided to do the RNS-E retrofit. I initially had the Concert II single DIN headunit.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, and will not take responsibility for anything that may be damaged or broken while using this DIY on your own vehicle. This DIY is intended as an aid only.

P1030570_copy.jpg

Table of contents

- Prerequisites (post #1)
- Removal of the center console (post #1)
- Modifying the center console (post #2)
- Modifying the climate control unit (post #2)
- Installing the double DIN cage (post #3)
- RNS-E installation (post #3)

Prerequisites

Single DIN → double DIN
  • Double DIN radio cage
    8E0 858 005 C (B6, aluminum) or 8E0 858 005 F (B7, plastic)
  • Climate control
    8E0 820 043 BM (B7 model, facia color to match RNS-E)
RNS-E retrofit
  • RNS-E navigation unit
    8E0 035 192 D (A4 B7 face plate)
  • Quadlock adapter, GPS antenna, Fakra adapter
    Ebay, Kufatec etc.
Tools
  • Audi radio removal keys (x4)
  • 8mm & 13mm socket, Torx T20 & T10, hacksaw ++
  • Flat headed & Philips screw driver

rns-e-retrofit-parts.png

Removal of center console

P1030577.jpg

Use the radio removal keys. Insert as shown.

P1030579.jpg

Pull straight out.

P1030580.jpg

Remove connectors. The yellow plug is a fakra connector.

P1030581.jpg

It might be a good idea to protect your gear knob.

P1030582.jpg

Remove old climate control unit. It pulls straight out.

P1030583.jpg

Remove all connectors from the back of the panel.

P1030586.jpg

Remove the trim surrounding the gear knob. It has 4 clips, 1 at each corner. Pull straight up.

P1030587.jpg

Push to release cover beneath e-brake lever. Remove 2x Philips screws

P1030592.jpg

Remove 8mm bolts securing ashtray. Disconnect the power to the LED illumination.

P1030597.jpg

Remove the cover in front of the ashtray to remove the assembly. It reveals two hidden 8mm bolts.

P1030604.jpg

Remove followings bolts: 2x 8mm bolts below the ashtray assembly. 2x 8mm bolts below gear knob trim. 2x 8mm bolts all the way to the front of the center console (1 on each side).

P1030598.jpg

Remove 4x 8mm bolts securing the center console and radio cage (2 shown in this picture)

P1030602.jpg

Pull out e-brake lever handle. There is a little clip on the handle part that needs to be pushed upwards, in order for it to release. You can then remove the e-brake lever sleeve behind it.

P1030699.jpg

Remove ashtray from rear seats to reveal the bolts securing the armrest and center console. The ashtray pulls straight out.

P1030698.jpg

Use a universal joint to access the 13mm bolt securing the armrest. There are two more 13mm bolts securing rear part of center console.

Lift the center console up and backwards to remove it. Be careful not to scratch the painting on the ESP-button, card tray and cup holder.

P1030610.jpg

The cup holder and card tray has a clip in each corner, securing it in place. Push these down, and use your other hand from behind to push it out. Unplug the connector to the LED.

P1030609.jpg

The hazard button pulls straight out. Remove the single DIN cage. It is secured at the bottom pivot point by two T20 Torx screws.

Continued in post #2

Last edited:
Modifying the center console

There is a difference on single DIN and double DIN center consoles. Luckily, the single DIN can be modified to accept the double DIN cage. This process involves some cutting. Use a hacksaw for this procedure.

P1030617.jpg

This is the piece that needs to be removed. It measures 40 mm x 85 mm.

P1030618.jpg

This flap also needs to be removed.

P1030614.jpg

Test fitting the double DIN cage. Perfect fit.

P1030630.jpg

This piece also needs to be cut in order to fit the double DIN setup.

P1030634.jpg

Use your hacksaw to cut a straight line just after the clips. There is a groove that works perfectly as a cutting guide.

P1030637.jpg

How the finished part should look like.

Modifying the climate control unit

The double DIN climate control unit came off a B7, which has a slight difference in the electrics. Instead of having a built in relay for the rear heated window, it sends only a trigger signal to an external relay located somewhere else in the vehicle. It is possible to make the B7 unit work on a B6, but it requires wiring in a relay. Some users have reported that the B7 panel is throwing fault codes on illumination (it stays lit at maximum brightness). I did not bother to experiment with the B7 panel, so I decided to swap the face plates and use my old climate control instead.

P1030628.jpg

Use a Torx driver to remove 6x screws from the back of your old climate control unit. Unclip a total of 7 clips securing the faceplate to the unit.

P1030624.jpg

Remove a total of 8 screws securing the button/LCD board to the faceplate. They are easy to spot.

P1030627.jpg

Remove the two clips securing the dials for heated seats.

P1030623.jpg

Now do the same to the other unit and swap the face plate.

Continued in post #3

Installing the double DIN cage

Put it into place and fasten the two Torx screws on the lower pivot point.
P1030646.jpg

Install the ESP and hazard switch, card tray and cup holder.

P1030647.jpg

Now is a perfect opportunity to replace those old peeling interior pieces with ones from a B7!

P1030649.jpg

Reinstall the center console. Remember to reconnect the 12V outlet.

P1030652.jpg

Reinstall ashtray (remember LED connector) before installing the modified piece in front of it.

P1030654.jpg

This is how it should look like now.

P1030657.jpg

This connector will not be in use anymore. It was connected to a LED on the single DIN cage to illuminate the space in front of the ashtray. Tuck it away.

P1030659.jpg

Center console reinstalled and climate control fitted.

RNS-E installation

The installation of the RNS-E is pretty straight forward once the double DIN cage is in place. For cars not factory equipped with navigation, one needs to install a GPS antenna. The following pictures will aid in this installation, and shows all of the connectors to the RNS-E unit.

P1030671.jpg

Use your key to remove the side panel on the driver’s side.

P1030672.jpg

Remove the 8mm bolt to the right in the picture. Here you can also se the preferred location for the GPS antenna, on the metal square just above the fuse panel.

P1030669.jpg

Remove 1x 8mm bolt located near the bonnet release lever. Remove the last 8mm bolt located near the accelerator pedal.

P1030673.jpg

The kick panel is clipped into place along the upper edge. Once the 3x screws are removed, pull towards the driver’s seat, and it will come loose.

P1030677.jpg

Showing the localization of the GPS antenna. Guide the antenna cable over the steering column towards the center console. The GPS antenna has a magnetic base, but I also added double-sided adhesive to secure it firmly.

P1030685.jpg

Make sure the kick panel clips into place behind the brake pedal. There’s also a clip above the foot rest panel.

P1030665.jpg

Connect the Quadlock adapter.

P1030666.jpg

Connect the adapter to the old antenna cable and the yellow Fakra.

P1030689.jpg

Connect all wiring to the RNS-E unit. Push it into place, but not all the way in. You need to make sure that everything works, and that the wiring behind is tucked safely away.

P1030692.jpg

PIN entry screen. The radio code (PIN) can be retrived using i.e. ebay-sellers. Just send your serial# - and you will get your PIN emailed ($12). I still need to code my unit for my car to accept it. This can be done via VCDS (w/ license).

P1030710.jpg

Enjoy the looks of your newly installed RNS-E unit!

Reactions: Ro55, AudiLeon, Chrismawa and 1 other person
This is an awesome write up - my only confusion is the climate control unit. Do you have a specification on cutting the climate control to fit one from single din into the double din? Thanks

I bought a double din climate unit, to avoid cutting the faceplate. There's a lot of them on ebay, and if the buttons are worn, you can swap around as u like