My seatback release is broken (top of the cabrio seat)

shoalsgary

Reaction score
Ive removed the seat (09 A4 S-line cabrio), and the seatback. I can see that the handle is still connected to the cable, But as the cable goes down behnd a motor in the right hand side of the (passenger) seat, I can not see where it ends or what it is supposed to be connected to. Nor can I figure out how to gain access to that area. I tried to remove the motor that blocks the view, but no-go.

Probably seen already but does this link help?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Forget that, I see you posted there already :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

So it has electric lumbar, it will go down the side through one corner to underneath, you should be able to trace it quite easily tbh with seat out & turn on its side to see the base.

There is no cable going past the lumbar motor. And the cable coming from the handle at the top of the seat looks way to small diameter to mechanically release the seatback.

and it's out, on its side, and on a table.
A22DAEA0 BB62 447A 93C3 DC6005817D9E

The cable is attached to a clevis behind the lumbar motor. It’s above my finger in the photo. It’s very loose and the handle will not take the slack out of the cable.

Either its dislodged from its fixing or the cables snapped, you'll have to follow the trail so to speak, as the fixing lifts up the base locking part, so it must be attached to something.

I've replaced some lower parts that breaks or comes of on various chassis, is it a B7 or B8?

On some there were a little plastic piece that used to break, but without consulting etka I cant recall from memory.

It's a 2009 Cabrio, so it's a B7. It cable is not broken and is firmly attached at both ends. But the cable is very loose. If there is a pulley or something behind the lumbar motor, I can't feel it. How hard is it to remove and replace the seat cover?

They're not fun, but you have only one path now, I just remembered, it may have an kinda s shaped hook on the end of the wire that fits into a latch to lift the base bars, worked on so many different seats over the years I can't recall, but I do remember it wasn't really accessible until the cover was of.

Top & bottom come of individually with the foam cushions attached, its a fun job, prepare your hands as the metal can be quite unforgiving at times.

Have to unbolt it, disconnect the airbag, cut the ties, lift it out of the metal locating lugs & slide it out of the little fabric sack, its a pain.

I pulled enough away to see that the cable splits into two cables that pull levers on eiither side (and operate a micro-switch). Unfortunately the slack in the cables does not allow the levers to be pulled. If I could figure out how to remove the assemby at the top of the seat that contains the seat fore-and-aft motor and the seat release handle, I could see and fix the problem. It apparently doesn't snap off, and I can find no screws.

The 2 motors in the backrest are for lumbar, if you have manual backrest release, it usually doesn't have any electric movement back & forth unless your seat is a Frankenstein.

You'll just have to strip it down & work it out, not much more I can advise tbh, like I said, its a pain to repair seats, worked on various chassis's didnt enjoy any tbh.