N/s front knocking. Not arms!

karl210

Reaction score
Hi,
The nearside front has been knocking for a while when going over harsh roads. I've replaced all 4 arms, anti roll bar links and track rod end and it's still there!
Anyone else had to replace a wheel bearing or top mount due to knocking? Bearing and top mount seemed fine also when I checked. The nearside rear is knocking too even after replacing the drop links too.

Yeah well I suppose it can only be that or the wheel bearing, they both seemed fine though so I may start with replacing the top mount

I have the same - 150,000 miles - the car sailed through MoT last year with the same symptoms. New lower arms and ARB links went on late last year. I've had it put on the MoT ramp and the garage used the "shaker" plates - no play anywhere, and I was watching and checking myself too. Much sucking of teeth and the comment that "it's possibly the top mounts - and they're really hard to get at of course - it's fine". I take "top mounts" to be what I'd call the mounts for the shocks, or struts as vr6gordy suggests. Anyway, while it's annoying, it's safe and legal, and given the work involved to get at them, I'm living with it - for now.

The NS bearing was done early last year, so it can't be a culprit on mine anyway - and the OS bearing is just fine. Which is more than can be said for the OSR one which is growling nicely and being replaced this week.

Check to see if your engine/gearbox mounts are in good condition or perhaps your brakepads moving within the caliper. Ive had similar however on the driver side and turned out to be the engine mount.

For me it couldn't be replicated on the mot ramp so they took it on the bumpy road and saw the mount was knackered.

Obviously in your case don't just change it, but see if there is sign of wear on it.

Another knocking sound ive seen people talk about is the steering rack having a loose bolt under the battery.

So do check those too.

Check the bolts attaching the C links to the ARB. The bolts supplied with replacement links can sometimes be slightly too long and they hit the stop ends before tightening fully. I had to grind one back recently after investigating a knocking noise. It took ages to find as all the links and arms were new and appeared tight at first glance. The bolts were only a fraction long so not obvious.

Thanks guys sorry for the late reply.
C clamps and bushes on front are great.
Front and rear are both knocking now. It feels really harsh over bumps. I've removed rear arb to no change. I was going to get new top mounts and both my rear shocks are in poor shape so I need new shocks too. So I'm on the hunt for sports suspension and just change it all.
It makes me cringe everything I hit a small bump in the road and when the rear wheel hits it the whole car wobbles.
I've had a bar in the gearbox and engine mounts and they seem fine too

Last edited:
I will try tomorrow morning on my way to work. But I replaced my front discs the other day as my useless mintex ones warped within 6 months!! And everything felt solid, pads sat nice and tight.
Do you know if the rear suspension is different from non quattro and quattro?
Thanks

Hi Karl, if your caliper sliding pin bushes are worn, you will get a lot of rattle and clunking over bumps.
Even clunking and knocking on slow turns,both going forward and reverse.
I like you have changed every whole thing at the front of the car only still to have the noise.
Brought the car to around 5 different garages and none of them could find anything wrong.
A load of money spent on the car and just last week found out myself it was the pin bushes.
At least now the car feels like a new car.
You wont notice any play by just checking the caliper.
There are pins and bush set for less than a tenner per caliper on e-bay.
Worth a shot anyway!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I could tell the knock had more weight behind it than a caliper so ruled that out. I put a set of used sport suspension on today and it's cured the front and rear knocks. So happy I finally sorted the issue as the car was nearly undriveable.

Reactions: kev1000