N249 question

dan1973

OCD clean
Reaction score
Ok tonight have had my car read with vag com as I've got a boost issue. It is coming up with n249 fault is this the same as the n75 or a different unit? Car in question is an a3 1.8 turbo on a 2001

Its different, the N249 is the unit that sits ontop on the rocker cover under the engine plastic. Best Google the fault code or post it here but i expect its a vacuum leak which has thrown it up.

Search for the thread on removing it as that is very simple and will solve many of the issues if its a leak as you remove 90% of the pipework.

Guessing you got this one..
17608/P1200/004608 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17608/P1200/004608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

Have you done an N249 bypass? this fault code comes up when the ECU tries to use the N249 to open the DV and dump boost when it detects an issue like an overboost situation... if the ECU can't detect a drop in pressure (as this is what it is trying to achieve) then it will throw this code...

Is the car mapped?

<tuffty/>

Great stuff I will have a look thanks very much

Guessing you got this one..
17608/P1200/004608 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17608/P1200/004608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

Have you done an N249 bypass? this fault code comes up when the ECU tries to use the N249 to open the DV and dump boost when it detects an issue like an overboost situation... if the ECU can't detect a drop in pressure (as this is what it is trying to achieve) then it will throw this code...

Is the car mapped?

<tuffty/>
no it's not mapped mate well I've not had it mapped anyway. It's just not pulling smooth at all throu boost. I've done the relevant tests on the n75 and that is fine so I had it read and it came up with this fault. So should I ditch then249 then?

no it's not mapped mate well I've not had it mapped anyway. It's just not pulling smooth at all throu boost. I've done the relevant tests on the n75 and that is fine so I had it read and it came up with this fault. So should I ditch then249 then?

I wouldn't ditch the N249 no.... I would find out why the ECU saw fit to try and dump boost tbh... are you using the OE DV or an aftermarket valve like a Forge 007p?

<tuffty/>

Do you get a 'chuuu, chuuu, chuuu' type of noise from the DV as you let off on part throttle or while revving the engine from idle?

<tuffty/>

Do you get a 'chuuu, chuuu, chuuu' type of noise from the DV as you let off on part throttle or while revving the engine from idle?

<tuffty/>
not really mate no think I will treat it too a 007p tomorow what ya think ;)

tbh stick to the OEM one for now... not really worth changing it especially if you haven't mapped the car yet...

<tuffty/>

silly question... I assume the car is running ok? you just scanned and came across this fault?... have you cleared it and has it come back since? if not then I would just not worry about it right now...

<tuffty/>

silly question... I assume the car is running ok? you just scanned and came across this fault?... have you cleared it and has it come back since? if not then I would just not worry about it right now...

<tuffty/>
it idles fine mate but jerky power delivery which is why I thought originally it was the n75 but checked that and all ok. Polarity fine onit and working fine so read my codes and this came up.