Need some help on this one, B8.5 (late 2012) Flywheel issues? clutch?

P77HLP

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My car Had to go into Audi for a service, which ended up not being a service because they set it wrong! (among the windscreen being replaced & the interior air sensor being replaced, both covered under warranty but still a pain in the ***)

Anyway................

I complained of the Judder in first gear, which can be intermittent, but is still annoying and have seen that the TDI engines with the DMFs are usually at fault with this particular engine (2.0TDI)

Audi basically said that its the clutch and want £1700 quid to replace it! however if they strip it down and the flywheel is at fault then they will cover the costs, if not its down to me!

The car was brought from main dealer with 13K on,

I've had it a year, its now on 30K and is still under warranty plus i have 2 years free servicing

Can't believe its the clutch, never had one go on me even after doing 90,000 miles in a clio! and better yet the Audi's 3 years old!

has anyone had the flywheel or clutch replaced on a 2012 model?
I was told by the service department that the issue with the flywheels had been rectified in the previous B8 model and that this one should be the new version,

Cant believe this seems very odd and id like your help to remedy this problem!
get posting people as i want to show this thread to Audi! :)

Car is a 2012 B8.5 Black edition, not sure of build date but can check, sure its a September baby. if anyone has had the same problem can you tell me what your outcome was?

Cheers

Phil.

Clutch went at 27,000 on my previous 2011 B8 2.0tfsi quattro. They wanted £1900 for clutch & flywheel. Clutches are not covered under warranty as it is a "wear and tear" item. I have heard of many clutches going on Audis to be honest with you hence one of the reasons i will not buy another Audi.

I took my car elsewhere and i got a new clutch & flywheel put in for £900.

Hope it gets sorted for you.

@P77HLP

My dad left his 2012 b8.5 143bhp tdi black edition into Belfast audi at end of December via warranty to get slight judder in clutch on cold mornings but disappeared once heated up looked at.He got word last Friday clutch and flywheel replaced free of charge under warranty for revised one...

My car b8.5 2013 177bhp quattro tdi black edition booked in to Belfast audi for same problem and few other issues to be looked at on 24th January so will see what happens and write in then. They are taken car for first service and a week to do warranty work.

Reactions: P77HLP and scotty76
Better get in touch with Audi HQ and lodge a complaint as a car still under warranty with 30k on the clock should not be needing a new clutch.
There is wear and tear and getting the pi55 ripped out.
Poor customer service that!

Reactions: ruairi83
Better get in touch with Audi HQ and lodge a complaint as a car still under warranty with 30k on the clock should not be needing a new clutch.
There is wear and tear and getting the pi55 ripped out.
Poor customer service that!

That was my exact response when mine went and i did go to Audi UK but no luck. Its a wear and tear item apparently.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Just goes to show a 3 yr 60000 mile warranty isn't really what folk think they are covered by

Reactions: Audi Dynamik
When a clutch wears it slips, why should it judder, surely a judder is a fault?

@P77HLP

My dad left his 2012 b8.5 143bhp tdi black edition into Belfast audi at end of December via warranty to get slight judder in clutch on cold mornings but disappeared once heated up looked at.He got word last Friday clutch and flywheel replaced free of charge under warranty for revised one...

My car b8.5 2013 177bhp quattro tdi black edition booked in to Belfast audi for same problem and few other issues to be looked at on 24th January so will see what happens and write in then. They are taken car for first service and a week to do warranty work.

This sounds just like what i need @ruairi83 does your dad have a like bill number or work sheet number for it on the paperwork? or reg or name that you could PM me, anything that would help audi trace it?
I just want it as back up so if they say no i can say well why does it apply for other people!

Thanks so much dude!

Has anyone else had any issues with there B8.5?

Currently mines had a windscreen & a Air temp unit go.

Cheers for all the support guys!

Reactions: ruairi83
When a clutch wears it slips, why should it judder, surely a judder is a fault?

Completely agree with this comment! never had a clutch do that before! let alone even be considered to go @ 30,000

This sounds just like what i need @ruairi83 does your dad have a like bill number or work sheet number for it on the paperwork? or reg or name that you could PM me, anything that would help audi trace it?
I just want it as back up so if they say no i can say well why does it apply for other people!

Thanks so much dude!

Has anyone else had any issues with there B8.5?

Currently mines had a windscreen & a Air temp unit go.

Cheers for all the support guys!

His car is still with Audi as he wanted another issue looked at and they still have it.

Once it comes back I will get look at paperwork and pm you if he doesn't mind. Will also let you know about my car once I get it back mate

One of the guys where I work has a 2011 Golf 2.0 TDI just 6 months out of warranty and with only 40K miles on the clock.
Started making a noise a few weeks ago, I listened to it and said it sounded like the DMF or release bearing.
He left it for 2 weeks before taking it to a clutch place after noticeing oil on the drive under the car.
He took it to a clutch place who took the gearbox off and found a piece missing from the pressure plate, one of the fingers and part of the pressure plate spring had neatly machined a groove in the gearbox where one of the shaft bearings was mounted.
This was where the oil was coming from.
This couldn't be repaired by welding etc so he had to fit a second hand gearbox.
It was a Sachs clutch , have done a search on google and he isn't the only one with this issue.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411490

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80297

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79844

Seems very poor quality to have failures so early in life.

Karl.

Thanks Ruairi & Karl going to send a very strong email to Audi UK tomorrow with all of my problems,

was looking through my history and also found i had a speaker & exhaust bracket replaced on the car swell!
car is only just 2 years old and has had 6 faults!!

I'm having exact same problem, I've had my 2010 s-line avant since October with 45,000 miles on it bought from derby audi. I'm really annoyed as my old b7 developed this same issue however that was understandable as it was on 150, 000 miles still with factory fitted clutch and dmf. I was going to change both clutch and dmf but in the end decided to bite the bullet and shell out for the b8 but to my horror it's got the exact same issue and tbh the judder in first gear is ****** horrendous, worse than the previous one! I just didn't expect this kind of fault when spending £15, 000 on a car :( ..... I chose to pay the extra few grand (buying from main dealer) for 'peace of mind' and the 2year warranty for this kind of problem so reading this tthread I'm pretty gutted! I haven't enquired with the warranty people yet but I'm sure I'll get the same reply from them about it being the clutch! I would totally accept and not expect the clutch to be fixed under warranty as that would be 'wear and tear' but these dmf's are obviously an issue for lots of people ( including myself on my previous car) and as stated by Audi.quattro in post #8 since when does a clutch 'judder' when it's on it's way out, any clutch on any car I've ever had that's on way out would gradually start slipping not juddering! So it seems I will have to see what they say and begin what I expect to be a long, drawn out hassle filled process with audi.
@P77HLP.... I hope you're having better luck now after presenting proof of other people managing to get this problem fixed under warranty.

Hey @ruairi83 @Luke2.0tdi2010 Having a long winded convos with audi, the 1700 bill was wavered down to £450 if I was willing to cover the costs of having the work done (4hrs labour originally quoted 8! #rediculous) so I'm still unhappy and have told audi this all needs to be sorted under warranty haven't even had the car a year!! I'll let you guys know how I get on!

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010 and ruairi83
Finally got round to taking the car to audi to see what my fate would be regarding the judder!!
NOT good news (as anticipated)....
They called me back to say it was the clutch causing the problem and the clutch, release bearing and dmf come as a package which are all wear and tear!!! Fuming isn't the word! Is it worth elevating it to audi uk or am I wasting my time? I can get the job done from a good friend who's a very good mechanic for £150 plus parts but just out of principle I wanted audi to do it under warranty. Just shows that the warranties are a waste of time really.