Need to replace electronic turbo acuator on my 2008 170hp A3 Sline.

J3ffy

Reaction score
Have had coil symbol flash a few times then go off, power lacks in low revs but okay from 2500 up. Had diagnosed, mechanic showed me where the leak is on the turbo actuator. Bought new one from turbovanes. How big a job anyone done this before ? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-094542_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-094542_Chrome.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210415_085736.jpg
    20210415_085736.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
Did you do any more diagnostics other than just the fault code . The actuator is just like a normal vacuum operated item with a sensor on it to provide feedback to the ECU. If the vacuum diaphragm is split or the sensor is faulty that's good. There are many other things that can cause that fault code such as the vanes on the VNT being clogged up or a problem with the valve controlling the actuator. Even a hole in a vacuum pipe or loose pipe can cause issues. I had one of these BV43 turbos on my Passat and if I remember correctly removing the actuator is a bit of a pain as I had to do a lot of tweaking with the adjustment on the rod length. Make sure you measure the existing rod length and set the new one to the same. Otherwise it won't work correctly.

Reactions: J3ffy
Did you do any more diagnostics other than just the fault code . The actuator is just like a normal vacuum operated item with a sensor on it to provide feedback to the ECU. If the vacuum diaphragm is split or the sensor is faulty that's good. There are many other things that can cause that fault code such as the vanes on the VNT being clogged up or a problem with the valve controlling the actuator. Even a hole in a vacuum pipe or loose pipe can cause issues. I had one of these BV43 turbos on my Passat and if I remember correctly removing the actuator is a bit of a pain as I had to do a lot of tweaking with the adjustment on the rod length. Make sure you measure the existing rod length and set the new one to the same. Otherwise it won't work correctly.
Thanks Desertstorm, yes have looked and it ,does look a bit of a pain in the ####. Thankfully have a mechanic in family. Yes could here the air leaking, so hopefully will rectify? If not then will look further into it. But ran well , then all of a sudden went from beast to basic okay after 2000 revs, turbo pulls like it should so hopefully just a small leak in it. Will put a cleaner on the vanes, thanks much appreciated Desertstorm . Will update how much of a job it was .