Needle sweep intermittent

S3T

Reaction score
Afternoon :)

New to the forum. Just picked up my facelift S3 and had a question.

Is the needle sweep on start up supposed to happen every time you switch on the ignition? It doesn't do it every time on mine and didn't know if this was right or not...any advice would be great :)

Cheers,
Mark.

Not sure to be honest... is it maybe only after an unlock, open door and ignition on sequence...?

Afternoon :)

New to the forum. Just picked up my facelift S3 and had a question.

Is the needle sweep on start up supposed to happen every time you switch on the ignition? It doesn't do it every time on mine and didn't know if this was right or not...any advice would be great :)

Cheers,
Mark.

I activated needle sweep on my PFL non-S3 and it only does it once per full key in/out cycle, not just ignition

It seems to just do it at random for me.

I usually turn the key fully to just before you dip the clutch to turn it over. Sometime it does the sweep, sometimes not :shrug:

Mine doesn't do it every time. I haven't really taken much notice to determine exactly when it does and doesn't. I will now though.

Thanks for the vid. I don't understand why it's not doing it every time. I will have to keep messing about with it

Thanks for the vid. I don't understand why it's not doing it every time. I will have to keep messing about with it
Needle Sweep working intermittently on some 2015 cars and onwards is a known problem. I have seen this on some 2014 cars also with no obvious reason and have completed testing via VCDS, VCP and ODIS.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Needle Sweep working intermittently on some 2015 cars and onwards is a known problem. I have seen this on some 2014 cars also with no obvious reason and have completed testing via VCDS, VCP and ODIS.

Thanks for the reply.... do you know if there is a fix for this with the dealer?

Thanks for the reply.... do you know if there is a fix for this with the dealer?
Needle sweep is an S and RS feature. A dealer is not gonna support this or any other modification which was not supplied from the factory.

My car is an S though?

My car is an S though?
Ah, I thought this was about needle sweep being activated via VCDS on a non "S" car. In that case for PFL cars Needle sweep should happen every time the ignition is turned to position 1 regardless of any activity within the car. If your car is not doing this then it could be that for FL cars the feature may have changed to only "stage" (sweep) on the instruments control module wake up, in other words after approx 15mins of inactivity or only after the control module registers the following conditions:
  • Alarm disarmed
  • Drivers door Opened
  • Key in ignition position 1
If the FL needle sweep is supposed to work as per PFL, would need to confirm 100% against another FL car, then a dealer would investigate.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Ok mate thank you for clearing that up.

I will contact Audi and see what they say.

Thanks again

Ok mate thank you for clearing that up.

I will contact Audi and see what they say.

Thanks again
I would look at messaging / asking another FL S3 member here to confirm how their sweep functions before going to Audi. Always good to be armed with the correct information before having to deal with the layers of stupidness the dealers often have :(

Reactions: AudiNutta
Haha good point bud. Will do

Reactions: DJAlix
In Spain we have a lot of confusion about this. Cars made in 2014 and 2015 have needle sweep intermittent, only sometimes they do, especially when the car is stopped for several hours.

We have found that since the car was manufactured after August 2015, always makes sweeping

Mine doesn't :pensive: built September 2016

Mine does it everything.
Also it beeps 6 times everything I turn on the ignition which annoys the hell out of me

Sorry mate did you say yours does the sweep every time? What beeps?

Yeah sweeps every time.
I get 6 beeps when I turn the ignition on just before starting. Think I may have turned something on via vcds but can't find what

Yeah sweeps every time.
I get 6 beeps when I turn the ignition on just before starting. Think I may have turned something on via vcds but can't find what

seatbelt reminder...? :shrug:

I'll check that now lol

Reactions: Gordo77
Yeah that's the one. Seatbelt on ignition on and didn't do it. That's one thing to turn off then haha. Proper blonde moment

Reactions: Gordo77
Well I might have to take mine back to the dealer as it is still very random when it does and doesn't :persevere:

Yeah sweeps every time.

Just to confirm mate, is yours a facelift model?

Cheers

63 reg. Not sure. Got it off my wife who's had it for 5 months. I work at the honda factory in swindon so had honda for a few years. ****** horrid things to drive. She bought a Fiat 500 so I took the audi and handed back the honda

Haha ok mate cheers

Hi

Did anyone manage to get to the bottom of this, because my facelift S3 seems to sweep when it wants to, too. It's a Feb 2017 model. It's slightly annoying!

Cheers

Dan

Last edited:
Needle sweep is an S and RS feature. A dealer is not gonna support this or any other modification which was not supplied from the factory.

I have an FL A3 Sportback "Sport" and a soon to be delivered A1 Sportback "Sport" - I was going to buy the carista adapter to do a few simple things - needle sweep among them! Are we saying needle sweep will not work for "Sport models" (either properly or intermittently) ?
Just want to be forewarned!

Never known it not to work on an A1 :)

Carista will be really good for your A1 but a waste of time for your FL A3, even VCDS will not support a lot of what is possible on PFL modules. As for Needle Sweep on FL cars, it seems to be intermittent regardless of trim level.

Reactions: noseforkhall
I have an FL A3 Sportback "Sport" and a soon to be delivered A1 Sportback "Sport" - I was going to buy the carista adapter to do a few simple things - needle sweep among them! Are we saying needle sweep will not work for "Sport models" (either properly or intermittently) ?
Just want to be forewarned!

Mine is a Sport model and needle sweep works every time. this can be done via Carista. there is a long thread about Carita in the sticky part of the A3 8v main page.

Needle sweep intermittent fault seems to be on S3's no? people writing above are S3 owners so i would guess not using VCDS or Carista...

EDIT: page is here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...iable-for-the-8v-a3-s3-pfl-fl-covered.303522/

14 Plate S3, since new, sweeps perhaps 9 times out of ten when ignition turned on. No rhyme nor reason why - I've tried locking and not locking, door opening/closing and not closing, door and locking, leaving the car for a short period/long period etc etc etc and still only sweeps perhaps 90% of the time seemingly independent of any other factors....

It swept this morning having not used the car for a couple of days, but who knows what it will do when I have to go out shortly ;)

Am I bothered - not really in the grand scheme of things.

Mine is a Sport model and needle sweep works every time. this can be done via Carista. there is a long thread about Carita in the sticky part of the A3 8v main page.

Needle sweep intermittent fault seems to be on S3's no? people writing above are S3 owners so i would guess not using VCDS or Carista...

EDIT: page is here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...iable-for-the-8v-a3-s3-pfl-fl-covered.303522/
cheers - as a matter of interest what other stuff have you done using carista? Is yours a pfl or fl and does it make any difference if you have a pfl and I have fl ?

Reactions: Ormesome
cheers - as a matter of interest what other stuff have you done using carista? Is yours a pfl or fl and does it make any difference if you have a pfl and I have fl ?

To be honest mate iv enabled the bleep when locking and unlocking and that's all! I had all my tweeks done by a chap using VCDS before I got Carista. You can do lots of things on Carista but it seems to have run its course now, for example no new updates so the tweeks you see now are probably the only ones you will be able to do. If you go to the Carista website then you can see what it can do for your model. Seems accurate info on there. Also, if you buy the official Carista dongle then you get 1 months free membership via the phone app. You don't really need any longer than the free trial as nothing else has come out.

Mine is a PLF. No idea if it's different for PFL or FL but seems that the only limitation is folding mirrors and that's linked to spec wise.

cheers - I am planning to get the carista once the A1 turns up, so I can then try and do a few tweaks on both!

Off to the dealers tommorow ref intermittent needle sweep. Under warranty so no issues. Will update tommorow night. Also had a warning light for the electronic handbrake. See what comes of that.

Intermittent needle sweep was a software update. All sorted. Electronic parking brake warning was an anomaly. If you don't sequence it properly it throws a wobbly. Blame my misses. It happened when she drove it.

I was thinking of activating needle sweep on my 1.4COD s-line .Would it be safe to do so being a non S/RS model?

I was thinking of activating needle sweep on my 1.4COD s-line .Would it be safe to do so being a non S/RS model?

I had this activated by my Audi dealer on my previous A3 Sport saloon 1.4 COD without any problems.