needle sweep?

leeroywarner

Reaction score
this has been covered before and I have done a bit of a search on it and couldn't come up with an answer.

I would like to know if a needle sweep can be activated on the red dis, I know later (07 on) s3 with the red dis had this.

my 05 3.2 quattro dis would differ from the s3 in what way?
what menu is needed in vcds to enable this and what code would be needed?

any help would be great
Lee

My new S3 does it and i haven't a clue why.....and nor has Audi :shrug:

Ah that would be it then :) i thought it was just waving..like happy to see me :)

Looking on the nerd net I can find how it's done on the newer white dis but draw a blank with the red dis even though it does work on late red dis s3's

The new facelift Leon Cupras do it too, although I thought it was only possible on facelift clusters?

We had a Kia Cee'd as a hire car the other week and even that did it. No longer the preserve of the high end motor, but 'trick' addition all the same. Spent hours trawling long code options in vcds on my car to get it to do it and nothing (March 2007 pre-facelift)

Picking my March 08 S3 up this aft and that does it, in fact it's the only reason I bought it lol!

My S3 does it. I have a Jan 08 pre-facelift with a red dis

I'm guessing if it is coded in the firmware of the cluster it would be pretty much impossible to update the firmware in my cluster to a later version?

No idea dude. Is it worth all the hassle? lol
I dont even notice it now!

We had a Kia Cee'd as a hire car the other week and even that did it. No longer the preserve of the high end motor, but 'trick' addition all the same. Spent hours trawling long code options in vcds on my car to get it to do it and nothing (March 2007 pre-facelift)

Come October you can join my exclusive club, the "needle swingers" :) and maybe if we all get together we might discover "why" :)

Isn't it the S3 only that has the needle sweep regardless of year? You can do it with VCDS - well only in the cluster test LOL

Mine does it ( 08 plate with red Dis ) it has the option in the Dis for dials so does turning that off delete the sweep?

Supose I could just go out and try it but I'm here and the car is all the way out there so it involves shoes and lots of steps :p

Reactions: MartayMcFly
Only on S3, R8 & high end cars & its coded into cluster via adaptation channel & it was red dis 08 onwards possibly some late 07 aswell, wont work on anyother 8P's like derv's or 3'2's.

Doh, thanks
If I got hold of a red s3 cluster with the sweep built in would it be plug and play in my 05 3.2?

Nigel, the facelift Leon FR dervs can have it coded in? Guess it must be different across the range

Yes but thats a newer car tbh, plus they have clusters specifically made with that feature for that specific model, the 3.2 does not & never will have given its discontinued & afaik the S3 cluster has to recognise an S3 ecu etc to allow the coding to work, but he's free to try.

Ah I understand now thanks, oh well guess if I want it that bad I should buy an s3