Neighbour complaining about where I park my car advice

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Evening all.

some older women has been complaining about me parking my car at the bottom of my drive instead of on the drive Insisting im blocking the road and her drive

she doesn’t drive and the only person who goes near her house is her gardening that comes ones in a blue moon and her son who rides a moped

i don’t park on the drive for the simple fact on the few times I have I’ve damaged my wheels getting with the size of the car and also the drive is the same size of the car leaving us Not much room to get our disabled son in and out the car

any advice would help so we can stop this argument once and for all

wagons lorries and all sorts still get past so I’m not obstructing the traffic passing etc

As long as the car is legally parked there isn't a problem.
Getting on with the neighbours though is always helpful so can you not widen the drive at all long term and tell her its only temporary?

As long as the car is legally parked there isn't a problem.
Getting on with the neighbours though is always helpful so can you not widen the drive at all long term and tell her its only temporary?
we have tried to explain the situation and are working on plans once funds are available to re do the garden layout. She’s just being a pain in the bum over something pathetic. I’d totally understand if she had to park her car etc

if She didn’t need to use the drive I’d gladly move my car down the street for a few days if she asked As there’s also bollards level with her house that narrow the road slightly that would stop her getting off it needed to

weve had lorries coming down this week and they’ve got past with out a problem skips delivered next door and they’ve managed no problem.

I just really wanted to know if she had anything on us for this and weather or not I was in fact in the wrong

Some people complain just for the sake of it and nothing you do will satisfy them. There is, however, something to be said for trying to reach a compromise just for the sake of not falling out with her. Just because you’re right doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

There are loads of articles on this if you go a quick search on the old inter webs basically for the most part you can park in any street, providing you comply with parking regulations and do not cause an obstruction. It's illegal to park directly outside a school, on the zig-zag lines to a pedestrian crossings and in designated marked bays you don't have a permit for.

Parking over a dropped kerb however is one area that always causes controversy. Dropped kerbs are lowered sections of the pavement that allow easier access from the pavement to the road by wheelchair users, pushchairs and the visually impaired as well outside private residences for vehicle access

The Highway Code's Rule 243 states that you should 'not stop or park where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles, or where it would obstruct cyclists except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.'

Parking a vehicle fully or partially across a dropped kerb is classed as an obstruction and either the police or local council can enforce the contravention. Based on the resources a particular authority has in dealing with this, attention will usually be focussed on offences that impede those with disabilities.

Complaints can be made to the local police via the non-emergency 101 number, although it's usually better to contact the local council first. Action from the council can only occur if it's the occupier of the premises involved who has complained. If the problem persists, the council can mark a white line below the dropped curb. However, the markings aren't enforceable by police or councils - they're only an advisory area as where not to park.

However if someone can still get in and out of their driveway and you car is fully taxed, insured, isn't causing an obstruction and is not in breach of any parking restrictions, the police cannot take any action. Ultimately, this will come down to whether your local council or police are willing to act based on their available resources and what the parking situation in your area is.

Some people complain just for the sake of it and nothing you do will satisfy them. There is, however, something to be said for trying to reach a compromise just for the sake of not falling out with her. Just because you’re right doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do
There are loads of articles on this if you go a quick search on the old inter webs basically for the most part you can park in any street, providing you comply with parking regulations and do not cause an obstruction. It's illegal to park directly outside a school, on the zig-zag lines to a pedestrian crossings and in designated marked bays you don't have a permit for.

Parking over a dropped kerb however is one area that always causes controversy. Dropped kerbs are lowered sections of the pavement that allow easier access from the pavement to the road by wheelchair users, pushchairs and the visually impaired as well outside private residences for vehicle access

The Highway Code's Rule 243 states that you should 'not stop or park where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles, or where it would obstruct cyclists except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.'

Parking a vehicle fully or partially across a dropped kerb is classed as an obstruction and either the police or local council can enforce the contravention. Based on the resources a particular authority has in dealing with this, attention will usually be focussed on offences that impede those with disabilities.

Complaints can be made to the local police via the non-emergency 101 number, although it's usually better to contact the local council first. Action from the council can only occur if it's the occupier of the premises involved who has complained. If the problem persists, the council can mark a white line below the dropped curb. However, the markings aren't enforceable by police or councils - they're only an advisory area as where not to park.

However if someone can still get in and out of their driveway and you car is fully taxed, insured, isn't causing an obstruction and is not in breach of any parking restrictions, the police cannot take any action. Ultimately, this will come down to whether your local council or police are willing to act based on their available resources and what the parking situation in your area is.

does this include drop Kurbs to the drive of your priority ? Or just ones at the end of paths

Erm she sounds like a silly old goat and if it's your drive you can camp in a tent on it..... My advice would be to buy her an Ann Summers voucher and tell her where to stick it

B9 S5 Sportback

• Haha
Reactions: Toonsoldier91