Bought my a3 in 2009 for $12,000 (cheapest at the time), since then

*Revo stage 1 - dyno'd 117kw atw
*Initially FK streetlines but there were crap so i upgraded to weitecs hicon gt
*19" bbs ch reps
* 3" stainless steel dump pipe
* 2.5" quad exhaust cat back with high flow cats

This is what it looked like
IMAG0066.jpg

Finally saved enough cash last year to upgrade but after 2 years of ownership the value went from $12,000 to around $8,000 (with all my mods) so i though stuff it lets build

I really set a plan on what I wanted, clutch was ruined so I ordered an ECS stage 2, then I thought I would order the F23, did more reading and thought I would order a LSD this continued for about 6 months where I continued to order parts one after the other, I finally got all the parts I wanted (or so I think)

Six months of sitting around
IMAG0147.jpg

Let the Build Begin
IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

Will continue the update this thread as progress is made, will reveal my plans as I go but there is a lot of parts......realistically the car is 1-1.5 months away from completion

haha its a very slow build, i just got my license back hence the delay

at the moment block is getting bored/decked/honed and everything balanced

impossible to tell from the picture, they all look the same, I'm sure Neru will fill us in though.

Looking good dude :)

Just one question, those boxster calipers, are they fronts or rears?

impossible to tell from the picture, they all look the same, I'm sure Neru will fill us in though.

Good point Prawn just bought some pagpart rifled rods for Ben as Phase 1 is kicking off in the next few weeks. Just interested in the reason why some say non-rifled and other rifled. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve and how you drive it.

Neru are you building a fast road car or going to take it on a track?

Just interested in the reason why some say non-rifled and other rifled. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve and how you drive it.

The ONLY, and I really do mean absolutely, complete, and SINGLE reason why anyone would not buy rifle drilled rods, is cost.

There really is no other reason in the entire world not to buy them. Non drilled rods offer no benefit what so ever when compared to drilled rods, regardless of use, driving style, anything.

Purely cost :)

Are these rifled drilled rods?

Im not to sure, all they said was DM Forged H-beam connecting rods, 144/20mm

hey prawn, they are front calipers

Good point Prawn just bought some pagpart rifled rods for Ben as Phase 1 is kicking off in the next few weeks. Just interested in the reason why some say non-rifled and other rifled. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve and how you drive it.

Neru are you building a fast road car or going to take it on a track?

long term will be a track car but for now it will be a fast road car until I get a graduate job and can buy a daily drive

and just to back up my feelings on this, anyone who disagrees should be shot, without exception, as soon as possible.

Im not to sure, all they said was DM Forged H-beam connecting rods, 144/20mm

hey prawn, they are front calipers

Good man, front calipers are fine :) the rears are dangerous!

I have DM forged RD rods in mine. Only difference is the small hole running through the centre of the rod from the big to the small end, but it's a very important difference.

Should be rifle drilled mate :) Did you get them as part of a kit with the gaskets and cambelt and stuff? I'm fairly sure all the 20mm DM rods are drilled.

installation of LSD

old diff

new diff

done

absolutely ***** of a job!!!

Last edited:
from what I have been told, DO NOT RUN THE LIGHT WEIGHT CRANK PULLEY.
I did the same thing on my engine and thankfully someone told me not to use them as they throw engine harmonics out. Badger5 had a link for a block that cracked from bad harmonics.

tuffty said the same thing and it makes sense

I dig the work on the diff! I need 1 in my life lol

Good man. Build is looking great!

I hope you torqued those diff bolts down correctly, they are my nemesis!

new welly cooler

fitting on frankenturbo and bit of modifying for the oil and water lines

wish i had the spare cash for a rentless v3 but this will do for now

ready for the engine !!!!!

friend the chop on youtube and you will see the vids they are epic! when i go to england im stealing his car

Reactions: Prawn
You are still fitting the engine with the crappy lightened crank pulley? :no:

<tuffty/>

Reactions: MIGGZ
You are still fitting the engine with the crappy lightened crank pulley? :no:

<tuffty/>

Yeah I'm gonna remove it before I fit the belt, my mechanic wants to run it though he like to see the effect of it