New 2015 RS3!!!

It's all about degrees of enjoyment - you are certainly not trading an enjoyable drive for straight line speed, by comparing these two cars. I drove them back to back around Thruxton yesterday, as fast as I was able to drive, and with high track temperatures traction through the bends was immense. I cannot conceive of any situation close to this that I would drive them like this on the road.

Having compared them under such taxing conditions, the RS3 wins hands down, but that it my personal preference and more importantly substaciates my choice for cancelling my TTS order, in favour of the RS3.

Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar, Snake Pliskin, boozyjay and 3 others
I also drove the RS5, RS6 and RS7 on Wednesday - and they're like big wallowing elephants by comparison to the RS3 and TTS. I've had an XF-S and an XF-R, and I'd never go back to something similar sized.

The RS5 through Campbell and Cobb, was just indescribably imprecise - a number of us remarked on that. One of the Thruxton pros also said that that was her least favorite car from those that were available. a couple of us complained that the RS6 suffered from torque steer as well, particularly when pulling away very hard with a modicum of turn.

It was a very interesting day; 2 hours on the roads and a half hour of track time was enough to give you a feel. Shame to see a new RS3 with kerbed wheels though!!!

e14762c422178cee391accca09700e7d.jpg

Cool story.
The car you have ordered is the best.
Funny how things turn out that way isn't it.

Cool story.
The car you have ordered is the best.
Funny how things turn out that way isn't it.

We get it mate, you don't like the rs3, but why constantly come and **** on everyone's parade?

Reactions: Caval4r and monopole
Go for the TTS.
So much better to drive than the RS3.

I need a family friendly car. And something that makes my son shout "Cmon Dad! Rev it again! Vroom vroom!" :D

Reactions: Nimbus265
.........because his mum won't let him have one!

My mum passed away before the RS3 was released.
Had she still been around she may well have said not to be so stupid.

Reactions: NormantheDog
We get it mate, you don't like the rs3, but why constantly come and **** on everyone's parade?

I'm not ******* on anyone's chips.
Merely passing opinion on a forum after testing a product.
I was never going to buy a RS3, so think an unbiased opinion should be shared, so potential buyers have the full non-blinkered set of opinions.
Call it consumer feedback service if you like,

Reactions: veeeight and boozyjay
It simples guys, Just add to ignore list. You get to skip all the drivel from the same old repetitive digs and negativity from those that hate the brand (even though, and we know who, owns the brand) and yet attempts to get everyone's back up with the same sh!t different day scenario over and over and over and over and..........

..and to say its an un-biased opinion from someone who has no intention from buying one, well that's just a polite way of saying I will **** on everyone's parade as billyali86 quite rightly said. Envy or just hate, either way, it brings out the best of the worst in people and its easy to be brave on the other side of a keyboard.

Btw, the RS3 isn't a hatch, so could never be classed as the fasted hatch therefore hasn't been surpassed by another fast hatch!
If you want to argue that point, post to all those with 3 door A3's that they've an estate and see yourself beaten down to a pulp, so to speak.

//edited for spelling correction (before anyone even attempts to beat me up over post editing)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fah

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yorrick, Foxtrot_Oscar, billyali86 and 4 others
It simples guys, Just add to ignore list. You get to skip all the drivel from the same old repetitive digs and negativity from those that hate the brand (even though, and we know who, owns the brand) and yet attempts to get everyone's back up with the same sh!t different day scenario over and over and over and over and..........

..and to say its an un-biased opinion from someone who has no intention from buying one, well that's just a polite way of saying I will **** on everyone's parade as billyali86 quite rightly said. Envy or just hate, either way, it brings out the best of the worst in people and its easy to be brave on the other side of a keyboard.

Btw, the RS3 isn't a hatch, so could never be classed as the fasted hatch therefore hasn't been surpassed by another fast hatch!
If you want to argue that point, post to all those with 3 door A3's that they've an estate and see yourself beaten down to a pulp, so to speak.

//edited for spelling correction (before anyone even attempts to beat me up over post editing)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fah

There should be a sticky created just for them.

giphy.gif

Reactions: T-800
Some interesting discussion :)

I had a mark II TTS before getting the S5 and am now looking to change to a RS3 so can offer my take on this discussion.

I don't know if its because I've had 2 x TT's before, but the new TT does not excite or appeal to me.
Maybe there is part of me that feels - been there done that.
But the TTS I had was a great handling car for sure, but on public roads I never really got to exploit its best strength that often.
It did not make that good a sound either - and comments on the new one suggest the same - but it is a 4 pot so of course will be limited.
All that said, I did on the whole enjoy the car but I craved something more comfortable and a bit faster and with usable back seats.

So the S5 was the choice.
Improvements for me were great cabin, more luxuries, looks, increased performance, 6 cylinder engine, back seats that could be used etc.
There is no doubt I prefer this car over the TTS - the increased straight line power I use & enjoy much more often than the handling of the TTS.
Yes the S5 is not as good at going round bends but I can't say that has ever niggled me, I knew that when buying the car.
The engine note and speed like I say are what excite me more and I can get to use much more often.
That said, I am annoyed that the S5 has artifically enhanced sound - it sounds good, but knowing some of it is fake does take away some of the shine.

So the RS3 ...
This is what I see as my 'ideal car' and the best of all worlds.
It is incredibly practical so that box is immediately ticked.
It has a wonderful 5 cylinder engine.
A sports exhaust can be optioned (and likely will be).
There is zero fake sound !!!
I can spec it to a level similar to the S5 - but in a more modern cabin.
The performance is gonna be off for the chart (for me) sprint to 62 on the S5 is 4.9 so 4.3 (or less as some are reporting) will be amazing !
The RS3 will have much better handling than the S5 - so on the days I do want to exploit this I can.
Finally ...... its an RS !!!!
The TTS will always be an S.
Getting an RS will always feel more special than getting than S

I'm sure the TTS is a superb car, but for me its a totally different ownership proposition to an RS3.
The Merc A45 AMG is more of a direct comparison IMO

We can pick fault with any car and sure for many the RS3 won't be the car of choice - but it sure has got a lot of us excited :sunglasses::greyrs4:

Reactions: SHOTTA GTR, voorhees, JimmyMcGee and 10 others
Bravo Snake. Bang on with your reasoning pal. The RS3 is my perfect car hence why I am buying one.

Reactions: Caval4r, Nimbus265, Yorrick and 1 other person
One of the posts of the month surely. Very well said snake ;)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Nimbus265 and monopole
I think the times that mags etc are getting speak for themselves. However on the road, there won't be much diff between a car that does 60 in 4 secs and one that does it in 4.5

This for me is a good representation of what Nardo really looks like. Most photos show it really light. For me this is what it looked like in the flesh.

Reactions: Caval4r, Foxtrot_Oscar, Wild Bean and 5 others
Not for me I'm afraid. At no point throughout the day that I had a nardo demo did it look that dark...not in any light!. I'd say the lighter photos best represent nardo. Well all of the outdoor shots any. The early showroom pics were a fair bit lighter!
You must have seen it at low light as in the photo.

If it looked like that pic I would have saved myself £2000!

I've been pondering the point of spending cash on external looks for a car. Who's enjoyment is it for really? When you think about it, the guy in front and behind you in traffic will probably see the nice grille with RS3 badge and oval tailpipes more than the you while driving :) To be honest, when I heard the sound of the RS3 being tested round the Ring, that's what made me want one. I'd be happy to save some cash and leave it with default Nardo, which looks pretty badass unique already. But sure, I would be going for the black gloss look and black wing mirrors ;)

Not for me I'm afraid. At no point throughout the day that I had a nardo demo did it look that dark...not in any light!. I'd say the lighter photos best represent nardo. Well all of the outdoor shots any. The early showroom pics were a fair bit lighter!
You must have seen it at low light as in the photo.

You've got me worried again.

Here's the pics I took myself.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Here are some pics I took, obviously a colour in the shade is going to be a lot darker. Judge it by full daylight. These photos are a good representation of nardo.
It's not a bad colour and with the black pack it would look nice. But it's not for me!

Reactions: kayemill
This is weird! Some nice noises though :)

Reactions: VAG_Club001
Ok so had a drive of the car now - and VERY pleased to report I loved the car.
With so much mixed reaction I was unsure if the car would live up to MY expectations.

The car had both standard exhuast and standard suspension.
It was in black, had the aluminium pack and had lunar super sports seats.

Had the car for a few hours so was able to drive on roads I was familar with.

Firstly - I was able to put one concern to bed straight away !
Seating position - I have read several comments taking about the seats being too high.
Are these people mega tall ?
I am 6 foot and the seating position was absolutely fine and no issue at all.
The super sports seats were extremly comfirtable and felt great.
I will defo be speccing the super sports seats.
Although not in lunar silver - regular black is much more to my taste.

Engine note was really nice on start up and a few pops from the exhaust.
The sound is very noticeable on tick over or low speed and during hard accelleration.
I was amazed how quiet the car was during general cruising at 70mph.
I would have no problem at all with this car on the motorway or long trips.
The noise is there when you want it exactly how I like it.

The performance was just incredible.
Virtually no lag which impressed my greatly.
Just endless lumps of relentless power.
You reach 70mph in no time with this car.
The accelleration is just amazing !
More power than I could ever need.

Ride on the standard suspension was if I am honest very firm.
Riding over uneven road or speed bumps and it did go with a thump even at slow speed.
and this was having the suspension set to comfort and then trying auto.
This has got me wondering if I need to spec the mag ride.
Mag ride is advertised by Audi as providing improved comfort levels - and better handling in dynamic mode when driving hard.
So I do really now need to find a car with mag ride if possible to compare.
I could live with the standard suspension but it was just a tad firm for my ideal set up.

Can anyone comment on mag ride and the settings in comfort / auto / dynamic ?

There is no denying the car is very discreet in its looks.
This was not helped (IMO) with how the demo car was configured.
Black and aluminium pack - with silver roof bars - and lunar interior just did not do it for me at all.
This made me realise that colour choice is VERY important in making this car at least "look" like an RS.

Absolutely no roof bars.
Black pack essential to de-chrome.
A reasonable colour to make it stand out - althought colour choice is quite limited.
For me it will be nardo or white - both which contrast well with black pack.
That will make it stand out and look purposeful enough for me whilst still retaining an element of discreet.

I am also considering the sports exhaust - as I do believe I could handle the volume turned up a notch.
The regular set up was great and easily the best sounding car I will have owned, but I could be talked into going the whole hog.
Part of me thinks, its an RS **** it and go for it :)
So am pondering that along with mag ride.

There is no question it is the car for me though.
I was considering the new Merc A45 AMG too, but after driving the Audi I am not that fussed at arranging a test drive tbh.
I just felt comfortable with the Audi - as I have done with my last 3 cars so would take a lot to break me away from the brand.
Plus the 5 pot engine really is a super engine and makes a wonderful sound - the 4 pot Merc won't beat that no way.

So it was great, I thoroughly loved it and want one.
Just gotta see nardo first hand, experience mag ride and sports exhaust if I can and then decide my final spec :greyrs4::sunglasses:

Reactions: JimmyMcGee, NormantheDog, Foxtrot_Oscar and 3 others
Good to hear. If you could adjust the suspension are you sure it wasn't mag ride, I didn't think you could adjust the standard suspension. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
See my previous review for notes in different mag settings

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and DAYTONA 500
Good to hear. If you could adjust the suspension are you sure it wasn't mag ride, I didn't think you could adjust the standard suspension. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
As you say Yorric standard suspension can not be altered so the car must have had mag ride.

Here's another of the Glasgow car in full sunlight. Still not as light as some I've seen.

Maybe it's the Glasgow daylight. I'm just going to go with what my eyes seen and stick with Nardo.
Post 995 0 66947500 1434053937
Post 995 0 37929000 1434053900

Reactions: VAG_Club001
Hmm I did wonder how the regular suspension could be adjusted ?

Got me wondering now although Dealer provided me with a full spec of the car and no mag ride listed.

It was under the car individual settings.
There were 4 options and in each case you could pick comfort / auto / dynamic.

I'm sure one was suspension along with engine, steering and one other .... am I mistaken ?

Hmm I did wonder how the regular suspension could be adjusted ?

Got me wondering now although Dealer provided me with a full spec of the car and no mag ride listed.

It was under the car individual settings.
There were 4 options and in each case you could pick comfort / auto / dynamic.

I'm sure one was suspension along with engine, steering and one other .... am I mistaken ?
You can select comfort, eco, dynamic and Individual in the drive select on non-mag ride cars, it just adjusts the throttle response and exhaust note/flaps, it cannot change the suspension ride. I have an S3 with normal dampeners and I have tested an RS3 with Mag ride, there is a massive difference and comfort on the Mag car is perfect.

Reactions: Yorrick and Snake Pliskin
You can select comfort, eco, dynamic and Individual in the drive select on non-mag ride cars, it just adjusts the throttle response and exhaust note/flaps, it cannot change the suspension ride. I have an S3 with normal dampeners and I have tested an RS3 with Mag ride, there is a massive difference and comfort on the Mag car is perfect.

Nice one thanks.
There were 4 options you could adjust so are there 4 excluding the mag ride ?
Just trying to clarify the car I tested did NOT have mag ride.

is there one that sounds like suspension / ride with the standard car.

Snake did you adjust the suspension settings in individual mode? If so it must have mag. If all you did was adjust the car's overall setting as Foxtrot says then it could be manual suspension.

Nice one thanks - can you point me in the direction of your thread on mag ride settings please ? :sunglasses: