New 3.0tdi glow plug light flashing ??

Shadowman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just finished a great two week break in Cornwall, which involved lots of driving with the car behaving perfectly.....then on the way back, I was cruising between 70-80 mph when the power dropped and the engine management system light started flashing !!

Stopped in a lay-by, switched off everything for about 20 secs which cleared it and then 5 mins later it happened again !!

This time, we stopped at the M/Way services, switched everything off for approx 20 mins whie we had some lunch, and I checked all connections etc under the bonnet, and everything was then fine for the remaining 1 1/2 hours drive to home.

Anyone else had this happen ? Having read around today, it would seem that there can be several things which can cause this power loss and the light to flash, and I know I can pop it back to the dealership but I just wanted to check on here if anyone else had seen this, and if it is likely to return or it was just having s funny 5 mins ? Car is a 2013 A4 3,0tdi 245 quattro.

Thanks

Last edited:
Have you done allot of short journeys of late?

More than likely a DPF pressure sensor, they're very common to go. Get Audi to check it.

Not really.....commute 500 miles on the M/Way every week.......some shorter runs over the two week holiday I guess, so could that have caused the issue ? She's run faultlessly until the one trip yesterday, and then again once it had cleared after the S/Station stop.

Yes I was thinking on hols & shorter drives, probably made the dpf kick in & thus the power drops whilst it regens, just keep an eye on it, no need for vcds atm.

I know when my A3 starting flashing the glow light a fault was logged. Saying that, the DPF sticker stuck to the top corner of my windscreen says if either the engine or glow light appear while driving get it checked out.

It may log an error, but only as an advisory at times, if you assess the facts, the guys on his hols, doing short journeys, has a newer tdi car so dpf more than likely fitted, powers down but drives fine & is flashing dash light, given the issue has gone on a motorway drive which is known to unclog dpf's, it stands to reasons its a dpf/regen situation , I cant be 100% sure, but I cant imagine its much else currently & if he feels the need, he can scan it & it may show an issue, if was me I wouldn't be worried to much.

I had a similar issue with mine, alot of hesitation and loss of power. Had a fault scan and all that came up was n.o 2 glow plug fault. The garage replaced the plug, my thoughts were that something else was wrong that never throw up a fault code. Turned out it was the glow plug that was causing the problems, seemingly as I learned afterwards the glowplugs can stay on well after start up to allow the engine to run properly. Best to get a fault scan, hopefully something has thrown up an error code.

Thanks all.....been driving it as normal for the last week and the car hasn't missed a beat, so hopefully all is ok!!