New A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 SE S-tronic

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well after test driving both the new common-rail 140 and 170 2.0 TDI engines in cars with an S-tronic gearbox I have now made up my mind and placed an order this afternoon before the 2% price increase that becomes effective on Monday 23 February.

The full spec is :
A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 in SE trim and with a 6-speed S-tronic gearbox. Ice Silver metallic paint with a Light Grey interior.

The SE trim package includes:
Front fog lights
4-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel with gear change paddles
Front centre armrest
Drivers Information System

The options I've ordered are:
17 x 7.5J 16-spoke alloy wheels with 225/45 R17 tyres
Concert radio
iPod connection in glovebox
Electric driver's seat controls and lumbar support
Rear acoustic parking system
Light and Rain sensor pack
Cruise control
Dual-zone electronic climate control
Interior light pack
Luggage pack
Storage pack
Non-smoking pack
Through load system
Adaptive Xenon headlights with LED driving lights.

The total cost of that little lot is £24,590

I am getting a 10% discount and £12,250 trade-in for my existing Sportback

All I have to do now is wait for it to be built and delivered, probably mid to late April.

Did you dabble with the PCP this time around Dave?

And stray away from your usual dealer?

Did you dabble with the PCP this time around Dave?

And stray away from your usual dealer?

No it going to be a straight cash buy. I had several PCP quotes but in the end it boiled down to me have to pay more in charges for the PCP than my money could earn in interest if I left it in the bank.

And again I buying from my usual dealer. I got quotes from three other dealers and two of them offered the same 10% discount on the new car but my existing dealer offered a better trade-in price for my existing Sportback than the others.

Is this not basically the same as you already have but newer and with the 140 CR engine!

Is this not basically the same as you already have but newer and with the 140 CR engine!

Yes and I'm very happy with my current car so I basically wanted more of the same. My current car is an SE and I've added the necessary options to bring it up to the same level now Audi UK have reduced the spec on the SE. The main reason for the change is to get the new CR 140 engine. It's a few months earlier than I would normally change but I save paying the 2% increase due on Monday.

I was not keen on the new facelift model originally because they stopped offering Xenon headlights on everything except the S-Line and S3 but the lastest Options list now offers the Adaptive Xenons on all but the very basic model.

Soppose you will taking it straight for a remap then Dave?:)

Err.. No! Why on earth should I want to do that? It goes well enough for me in standard form.

Does anyone actually do a remap yet for the new common-rail 2.0 TDI-140?

My Dad was talking to someone from Carlisle the other week that has CR140 and he reckoned he had it remapped. I dont know who this company was though, Dad couldn't remember the name

I have just had a call from my dealer confirming that my new Sportback will be built during week 16 (week begining 13 April) so hopefully it will be in the UK for me to take delivery on 1st May.

Must get my personal plate on retention to make the change over as smooth as possible.

This will be my 17th new car but I still get just as excited.

:thumbsup:

Sounds good! Effective options-list picking and sounds like a nice subtle car. Pictures expected 2nd of May please :whistle2:

The new 140 is quick man even without a map, I had a little run in someone's on here that I did some radio work on, damn it was nippy from stock, so should be hell of alot of fun mate when you get, I was very shocked how quick it was.

Well my new A3 Sportback, which I ordered on 19 February, was built during week 16 (week beginning 13 April), arrived at Immingham Docks on Tuesday 21 April and I had a phone call earlier today (24th) to say it was now at the dealers.

I have decided to collect it on Tuesday as they did ask if they could tax it before the end of the month. I was going to collect it on 1 May but they can tax it for 12 months and 7 days so that my renewal date will still be 1 May each year.

All I've got to do now is take my TomTom mount out of my existing Sportback ready to transfer it across to the new one.

Roll on Tuesday!!

wow - that's quite a spec :) an quite a few sleepless nights you must have had :)

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

I popped up to the dealers this afternoon and my new A3 was parked outside having already had it's PDI. Now it's waiting for it's cleaning and final test drive before I collect it on Tuesday.

Funny but there were two cars parked there with exactly the same registration number...

A3-2009-001 (Medium).jpg

You like silver then? :p

Yes all of my 6 A3s have been Silver and my Golf VR6.

But I have had other colours in the past - Light Blue, White, Maroon, Green, Mustard, Red, Black and Dark Grey.

I was thinking of getting silver next, haven't had many silver cars, and on some it looks really good. Like on your A3 (both of them) :happy:

My current "fleet" of 4 vehicles are black, orange, red, and green :sly:

I was thinking of getting silver next, haven't had many silver cars, and on some it looks really good. Like on your A3 (both of them) :happy:

My current "fleet" of 4 vehicles are black, orange, red, and green :sly:

It's certainly a colour that's easy to keep looking good. It still looks OK when the car is not completely clean.

6 A3's! Wow. Did you do a trade in this time?

Dave, if you don't mind me asking, will you be getting GAP ins.? If so who will you be getting it from? and do you think inter-net firms are trustworthy?
Thanks

by the way, your new one looks smart, congrats

6 A3's! Wow. Did you do a trade in this time?

Yes, I normally trade-in. My sales guy gives me a good price and I connot be bothered with the hassle of selling privately. It so simple, drive up to the garage in H5DJR and drive alway in a new H5DJR.

Dave, if you don't mind me asking, will you be getting GAP ins.? If so who will you be getting it from? and do you think inter-net firms are trustworthy?
Thanks

Yes I will. On my existing A3 I managed to get the dealer to almost match the price I got on the internet so I went with the Audi policy.

I have an internet quote for a 3 year policy from Surf and Protect of Return to Invoice with a £10,000 claim limit of £168.28 or Replacement at £213.02. I will be taking this along on Tuesday when I collect the car and if the dealers Business Manager can match or get close to these figures I will go with an Audi policy. If not then I will go with Surf and Protect.

Like the colour Dave!

Tuesday is the big day for me too mate. I have also gone down the silver route Monza silver 2.0 TDI 170 Sportback.

Like you I am like a big kid on xmas eve.

Like the colour Dave!

Tuesday is the big day for me too mate. I have also gone down the silver route Monza silver 2.0 TDI 170 Sportback.

Like you I am like a big kid on xmas eve.

Yes you would have thought I was used to having a new car by now. This will be my 7th new A3 and my 18th actual new car, but I still get excited about it.

Roll on 11:00 on Tuesday morning.

Yes I will. On my existing A3 I managed to get the dealer to almost match the price I got on the internet so I went with the Audi policy.

I have an internet quote for a 3 year policy from Surf and Protect of Return to Invoice with a £10,000 claim limit of £168.28 or Replacement at £213.02. I will be taking this along on Tuesday when I collect the car and if the dealers Business Manager can match or get close to these figures I will go with an Audi policy. If not then I will go with Surf and Protect.

Thanks for the info. When I collected mine, the business manager went down to £199 for 3 years, but I understand Surf and Protect will defer for a year (my regular ins. is new for old for 1 year).

So, Surf and Protect are a little cheaper and one year longer, which makes them a no brainer, but can they be trusted to pay up if the worst happens?

The policies sold by Surf and Protect and underwriiten by AXA Insurance so I assume everything would be OK. I only tensd to keep my cars for 3 years so I've email S+P to see if I can take out a two year policy deferred by one year (1st year New for Old by Insurance company) and get a total of 3 years New for Old cover.

The price quoted on their website for a 2 year, £10,000 claim limit Return to Invoice policy is £124.85 and for a New for Old policy £168.01.

I have just received this email reply from Surf and Protect which confirms what I thought about taking out a 2 year policy to get a full 3 years of New for Old cover.

"If you qualify for new-for-old cover under your motor insurance policy and wish to take out GAP Insurance, then we allow you to defer the start date of our GAP Insurance policy to be up to 12 months later so that it starts when your new-for-old cover expires.
If you require cover for only years 2 and 3, then you do indeed only need to purchase our 2 year policy and then select to defer the start date when the system offers you the option of doing so (after adding all of your vehicle details).
Alternatively, you could opt to purchase a 3 year policy, defer it, thereby having it cover you for years 2,3 and 4 at no additional cost".

Very interesting & thanks again. I shall be going to their web site directly.