New alloys arrived today, but not what I expected.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
New alloys for the old bus arrived today after a very long wait, I was really excited when they were dropped of but then upon opening the first box things turned sour very quickly.

I had ordered Silver and the receipt for the order so I knew that the order I placed was correct.

In the box are 19" Matt black , and I don't do black alloys on my black bus, been there before and it just wasn't the look for me.
Don't get me wrong, excellent alloys but they are useless to me in black.

So just debating what to do, I don't plan on waiting months for another set, and getting spanking new alloys re-powder coated just seems so wrong.
There's always something that goes tits up these day.
IMG 3253
IMG 3254
IMG 3255

Reactions: NevMan
If you paint them they become worthless and impossible to return

Either stick them on or return

I'd be livid after months of waiting!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
The bonkers thing is that they do look really good in matt black in the box , but add a tyre and fit on a black avant they may loose that appeal.
I've 14 days to keep or return them , but just having waited so long to get them waiting for another set just smacks even more than the fact they are the wrong ones to start with.
maybe a photoshop job .

If you're not happy with black wheels on a black car, get them sent back.
It's not the sort of thing that grows on you either and I'm sure you've been through enough wheels to know what you want.
It'll mean waiting for a bit longer but at least you'll get what you want.

FWIW, I'm not keen on dark wheels full stop, they lose their size once the tyres are on if you know what I mean.
Just my opinion.....

Mike

Reactions: boffin486 and Charlie Farley
thanks for the input guys.
I'm on the fence at moment after a trial fit this evening, they look better than the last gloss black wolfrace I had which were 18" and did look small with tires on.
These 19" in matt black look much better , well from a bare rim standpoint, maybe I'm just an old guy stuck in my ways with traditional wheel colours, maybe i should throw caution to everything and do them and see how it pans out. :scared2:

On the plus side of things , no clearance issues with the 18z's on ET38. :yahoo:

Agreed, its that flippin tyre part of the equation, maybe with my 35 profiles they may still look ok.

Reactions: Sandra
Cracking wheels Rob, I really like them and is a break from the “norm” of gloss black would not say the same. The matte against the gloss black looks mean I think

Personally I’d send them back. - presumably you ordered silver for a reason.

If it was my car even if I thought they looked ok/good every time I saw them on the car it would remind me they wernt what I wanted.

As a minimum if you’ve not done so already I would be speaking to the supplier to ask:
a) have they got some orders mixed up and sent your wheels to another customer by mistake?
b) was the delay getting these down to supply issues and have these now been resolved - are the silver ones now in stock so it would be a case of sending a replacement set
c) if you decide to keep asking for a discount given the wrong items had been sent and it works cost them to send back

I"be got some Stutggart (dark) grey wheels to go on my red bus, and that's about as dark as I'd go.
Black on a black car looks like your dealing in illicit substances or women.

I"be got some Stutggart (dark) grey wheels to go on my red bus, and that's about as dark as I'd go.
Black on a black car looks like your dealing in illicit substances or women.

And the issue with that is?

• Haha
Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Wheels and tyres lose impact with black on black. Sample pic attached. Stick with silver unless stealth is your thing.
a779cfec00e6b17d33e8e9616d497ea9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Evening chaps,
Many thanks for the great feedback, always appreciated.
So a bit further with this issue.
I have had words with the suppliers and they have accepted it was there fault completely , some sort of computer ordering error , anyway it was a messup full stop.
I don't really want to wait again for another set now so they have offered me a good reduction in the price which in a way works out ok for me now.
As much as i like the matt blacks I don't want the black on my black bus, graphite means waiting ages and in strange way I'm glad i didn't get silver now.

I have left them with my trusted refurbers to deal with in there 100% quality way.
Going with a shade of Anthracite , wasn't sure but then recalled this image which set the color for me.
hopefully done for next week, yea :yahoo:
8 pots

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanningtonglen and NevMan
really tempted to go 8 pots again. :icon thumright:

some on fleabay at the moment, but i'd need another set of discs.

Collecting them tomorrow from my trusted wheel guys. :yahoo:

Rims are back from refurb guys.

Abd1 2

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, Pinky1959, boffin486 and 9 others
Should be a big improvement over the original matt black, well i hope so. :icon thumright:
the rim shape is better defined now i feel, a bit lost in black.

Yep agreed Rob,
Just hope they look that good on the old bus, well they are staying that color now whatever happens... :icon thumright:

And they came with some decent spigot rings for a change, there own OZ ones. :icon thumright:
Abd8
Abd9

Well the're on the old bus now, not quite what i was expecting when fitted but still look really good , well i like them and a nice new look is always good, silvers nice but a bit sameold style .

Pics please?

indeedy, are you really ready for them though...lol

Nothing wrong being honest, no point posting a pic if one's not prepared for the replies. :icon thumright:
Sometimes is good to share a cooock up....lol

Here you go, not the best of pic of a grubby old bus but you get the basic's.
Looks nice in my opinion, a bit more aggressive and up to date without going OTT.:icon thumright:
when the sun is out and daytime I'll get some better pics of it clean.

I've some 8pot brembo's in the pipeline now aswell so another item to add, going yellow this time.
Real2
Real1
Real3
Real4

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanningtonglen, Pinky1959, Simon and 3 others
Look good to me too. 8 pot Brembos

I have noticed that some shades of grey etc that can be light when not on a black car then seem to attract dark from the bodywork when fitted , almost the black reflecting onto the rims.

still look good now and not black..lol