New Arrival this week - A4 3.0 TDI Black Edition

Lippy

Reaction score
Morning All,

Happy to join the forum and share my first week experiences of my A4.

Spec:
  • 3.0 TDI quattro
  • Mythos black metallic
  • Black Edition
    • HDD Nav
    • B&O
    • 19" rotors
  • Heated front seats
  • S-Line Sports seats
    • Electric lumbar support
    • Black with Black stitching
P5yr5jyZdeeAt-dzw2192kSwdgAd12LGLI-r8DYXiBNAm-cpfYo0q_8XIPNPewHicZScz2IAsWMacOg0tEY6Re-T4PAxxpfoioZXq4vZ6zV2MqsG3hvfqHeuZXoMdHRhhUQKEba-RAeDpAq_EsjdlvSpWQD7yeHEb05wFPscgW2HlrFEhHHjgYCZYyTNGeunHFKVQeERveiYyXEEvC3TlDBqSyVeOVzHLyzmWSxwGuU3c_8VLHHngsP7K5nw-ECGpbzcQC2bferDsv08aN4Wxgpax2-GVfyeOeyayHMleszIye9YJPEPudj-MxDvFaN0WGMReOLMeqb28xn_oiKRG3PqmwfRPpIGgLRXEJ5yO4L9_yRJ28FwTo96qRYPlwB-Ifx2UFhfEy_ILRA66nILGtTl5TSmJUfpb0LLDfdzf-lo62ZsIeW0Kij7WopDZArm-VLlzijKZIUbjj_xpsB13eB3ckbqofUuBfkTDs32Q_35bVV_eOH5MCkASf_SuS_IwVK54UZbnCgYHpYzfQ8iMsQ=w1311-h741-no

I've been running an '98 CLK 320 for a couple of years, which suited my needs perfectly running up and down the motorways in comfort, with a decent turn of pace if needed. As I've changed jobs I am now driving 20k / year so I needed something more suited to the mileage and the rural routes I'm driving - especially as we head into winter!

With 4WD being my only "must" (as well as a preference to not get anything slower than the CLK) quickly Audi was the only viable option. Once I'd let the "scratch the V8 itch" out of my system - I was looking at used S4/S5's, fuel would have been a killer - I was then tempted by Golf R's but ideally wanted something with more versatility and longevity than a very hot hatch. I spotted this example on the JCT600 website and progressed through to securing a deal - it had less than 100 miles on the clock and must have suffered much more than £100 per mile depreciation since it was registered in late March!!

First impressions:
Having driven a couple of Audi's before (A8 4.2, A6 3.0 TDI) I knew what to expect and my first drive in an A4 was up to my expectations. I had some reservations from reading up on the B8 range about ride quality on the S-Line suspension and that as a run out model the A4 was showing its age. Very happy to say this is completely unfounded! I'm sure the B9 will continue to be a step on, but in no way does a B8 feel backwards and the ride is firm but very decent on the 19" alloys and S-Line suspension combo.

The CLK despite it's age was very well specced, and I was surprised how much extra you can option up Audi's beyond their initial specification. My car is "missing" folding mirrors and electric seats from CLK of which I'm missing the former more than the latter.

The 3.0 engine is fantastic however. Great acceleration through the mid-rage and very smooth. The NVH from inside the cabin is first rate, especially when you open a window and you can hear the 6cyl diesel noise, it's very much isolated with the window up. I'm missing a little the sound of petrol v6 acceleration, but I'm sure this will fade over time!

MPG has been a little surprising, I was expecting 35-40mpg but the reported range of 460 miles to a full tank was somewhat less than I expected. However this is +120 miles range vs. the CLK per tank, and on approx 10/12 litres less in comparison. I've not done much motorway mileage yet so will keep an eye how that develops.

All in all I'm very happy and due to my high mileage per year am looking forward to driving it through all seasons! Few trips coming up in 2016 across Europe which I'm planning now (Italy, Belgium) so if anyone has any good routes, let me know.

Thanks for reading such a long post! Cheers

Andrew

Last edited:
Reactions: Phill_, Lannerz27, Kev M and 1 other person
My 3.0TDI was a great combination of performance and economy.
I had a 98 CLK from one year old for a couple of years, the most unreliable car I've ever had, including an X Type Jag, ten Lotus, etc.

Great choice of motor, Get it mapped and enjoy it even more :) . If you are anywhere near Manchester Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments will sort it for you.