New Audi A3 vs VW Golf vs BMW 1 Series vs Mercedes A Class

Kayobong

VCDS Map User
Reaction score

Interesting video comparing the cars, I’m quite saddened by the interior of the A3 with a lot of scratchy plastics and hideous vent layout.

What do the rest of you think? What car would you pick?

Interesting video comparing the cars, I’m quite saddened by the interior of the A3 with a lot of scratchy plastics and hideous vent layout.

What do the rest of you think? What car would you pick?

I would try mercedes but I am not fan of it..

A3 doesn't look great to me on the inside. He (annoying though he is at times) hit the nail on the head regarding the design.

BMW would be my choice with Merc in last place, does nothing for me.

Reactions: Kayobong and pburv
Best to pay no attention to Mr watson's opinion....just go with your own decision......

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and pburv
Best to pay no attention to Mr watson's opinion....just go with your own decision......

Basing my opinion on what I saw.

Reactions: pburv
Basing my opinion on what I saw.
On what you've seen on the video ....but to get a valid and detailed opinion one has to test drive the car itself

On what you've seen on the video ....but to get a valid and detailed opinion one has to test drive the car itself

True, but I am only looking. Less than a year into the ST. My next car will be another small hatch.

The video was really posted just to show all 4 cars in one showcase, I’m no fan of Matt Watson either. I am just curious about other people’s opinions on the new A3 and it’s competitors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenL, NevMan and Jassyo06
Here goes.

1 Series - The outside is growing on me and I love the inside (Although I currently have a 3 series so that figures)
A Class - The inside looks superb if your a techie. The outside, I'm not so sure about (Not a massive lover of the general Merc design Language)
A3 - The saloon still looks great (We still have S3 here) apart from the fakery Audi now employs. Although the Gash Dash ruins it completely.
Golf - Don't really like it inside or out and don't really see why It has a place in this line up anyway.

On the Golf and A3 front, Think I'd take a new shape well spec'd Leon instead.

Reactions: KenL, NevMan and Kayobong
The video was really posted just to show all 4 cars in one showcase, I’m no fan of Matt Watson either. I am just curious about other people’s opinions on the new A3 and it’s competitors

Matt Watson is a fellow brumie so I like him
But as for the cars
Definitely about a test drive
boot space and getting 3 people in the back don’t interest me in the slightest just weighs and slows the car down
And they drop litter and make it look untidy
Wasn’t sure about the a3 interior but I am warming to it
Silly vent positions and all
The other cars don’t interest me in the slightest

Reactions: Kayobong
Here goes.

1 Series - The outside is growing on me and I love the inside (Although I currently have a 3 series so that figures)
A Class - The inside looks superb if your a techie. The outside, I'm not so sure about (Not a massive lover of the general Merc design Language)
A3 - The saloon still looks great (We still have S3 here) apart from the fakery Audi now employs. Although the Gash Dash ruins it completely.
Golf - Don't really like it inside or out and don't really see why It has a place in this line up anyway.

On the Golf and A3 front, Think I'd take a new shape well spec'd Leon instead.

I have to agree with you when it comes to the 1 series. I thought it was hatefully ugly when it was released but now in M135i form it’s one of my favourites. The interior looks lovely and the quality doesn’t seemed to have declined like the rest of the market.

The A Class is of no interest to me, I see the new A Class everywhere and whilst it’s not an ugly car it just bores me. Not a fan of the merc design language either.

Whilst I do think the A3 looks great externally, I can’t get over the interior, to me it’s more important than the exterior as it’s where you’ll be 100% of the time. I’m going to not judge it too harshly until I see one in the metal as it could change my mind (although I doubt it will).

The golf really doesn’t fit in the lineup I agree, I’m not a fan of the looks in or out either, it’s a car people will buy out of necessity rather than wow factor. Obviously the GTI and the R are an exception to the rule.

If I could have any right now I’d be leaning towards the beemer, which I never thought I’d say. Oh how times are changing...

Reactions: pburv and NevMan
BMW are doing some great things with their vehicles I have to admit and so are Mercedes.
Now Audi are going down the basic simple route with sky high price tags.
Looking at some of Matts reviews the BMW and Mercs are blowing the Audi's out of the water for speed, fun and extras

Reactions: KenL
I still think the A3 is the classiest looking out them all in the comparison test...the BMW has and always will be the best to drive and the Mercs Ace card is the tablet like binnacles,the Golf 8 is still a Golf....but needs the letters G....T....or R in it's model designation to look the part
What do value the most........?

Why dont all car manufacturers make all vehicles in rear wheel drive?
I think they are safer and more suitable for the UK Climate.

FWD is good when I was driving in canada in the snow, but dont see the point of the FWD in the UK.

I think this is BMW big selling point even for a basic 1 series.

I am a Scot living in Canada and you are correct that FWD is great for snow, but with cars of more than 150BHP that is where AWD and 4WD shine, no wheel spin in rain/snow or torque pull on the steering to the right or left. No doubt about it though, RWD is the driver's way to go, as long as you know it's limitations, especially in snow.

Reactions: Damo S
I am a Scot living in Canada and you are correct that FWD is great for snow, but with cars of more than 150BHP that is where AWD and 4WD shine, no wheel spin in rain/snow or torque pull on the steering to the right or left. No doubt about it though, RWD is the driver's way to go, as long as you know it's limitations, especially in snow.
Where you living bud?
I'm from Alberta, land of - 40 winters lol
Did live in BC for a while, climate like the UK near vancouver.

FWD is good when I was driving in canada in the snow, but dont see the point of the FWD in the UK.

1 series is now FWD or Xdrive and if you lived in scotland you wouldnt appreciate rear wheel drive 7 months of the year...

Reactions: pburv, Sparks43, Bells and 1 other person
Not impressed with the new A3 interior. Not even so much the plastics, but the fact that it's all touch screen. No thanks. I'll be keeping my 8V for a while longer yet, unless they want to offer me an amazing deal on an A4.

Changeable 4 wheel drive is the way to go, BMW are pushing that forward with the new 5 series etc which is impressive. In the UK the vast majority of people wouldn’t want a car that’s just RWD. A lot of the time it’s either raining or damp on the roads and in the winter our road network struggles to cope with ice and snow, especially where I live in a rural county.

I know a few people with high powered M Cars and a lot of the time they openly admit they can’t utilise 100% of their cars potential due to being RWD, sure they drive better but point to point they aren’t as fast as something that’s 4 wheel drive.

Reactions: Damo S
Where you living bud?
I'm from Alberta, land of - 40 winters lol
Did live in BC for a while, climate like the UK near vancouver.

You are spot on...Vancouver B.C. The winter weather is almost parallel to Inverness, except when it snows, we get a real dump. Tyres become the factor for winter driving and I use high performance all season Conti DWS-06. They are not available in the UK and it is great in moderate snow up to 3-4" and almost as good as the Pirelli P Zero in the wet and dry. I use to go to business in Alberta and driving in the snow there was a breeze, because the drivers are used to those conditions, unlike newbies with summer tyres, as we get in Vancouver.

You are spot on...Vancouver B.C. The winter weather is almost parallel to Inverness, except when it snows, we get a real dump. Tyres become the factor for winter driving and I use high performance all season Conti DWS-06. They are not available in the UK and it is great in moderate snow up to 3-4" and almost as good as the Pirelli P Zero in the wet and dry. I use to go to business in Alberta and driving in the snow there was a breeze, because the drivers are used to those conditions, unlike newbies with summer tyres, as we get in Vancouver.

So much fun driving in the snow, you can do all the drifting and donuts you want wihtout it wrecking your tires LOL

I lived on Vancouver Island, place called Sydney for 4 years.

You are right, a little snow over here and people go mad, but there is just another day there.

Spoke to the folks at my local BMW about test driving a new BMW M135i however being under 25 they will not let me test drive it. My local Audi on the other hand are more than happy to let me test drive the new S3 when they get their hands on one. Quite disappointed as the M135i was one of my favourites.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Madness on their part, perhaps try another dealer?
I would also be emailing BMW UK to complain about that dealer.

Reactions: Kayobong

1. Cars are made for global markets and FWD cars usually lighter (=lower emissions).
2. Lack of driver skill for the majority of the population. Just wait till first snow / sharp frost of the year and start counting the number of BMWs & Mercs in ditches or with an embedded lamp post, especially since winter tyres aren’t that common in UK.

Reactions: KenL and NevMan
Changeable 4 wheel drive is the way to go, BMW are pushing that forward with the new 5 series etc which is impressive. In the UK the vast majority of people wouldn’t want a car that’s just RWD. A lot of the time it’s either raining or damp on the roads and in the winter our road network struggles to cope with ice and snow, especially where I live in a rural county.

I know a few people with high powered M Cars and a lot of the time they openly admit they can’t utilise 100% of their cars potential due to being RWD, sure they drive better but point to point they aren’t as fast as something that’s 4 wheel drive.

Id be tempted with a new M4 xdrive. trouble is, they are quite heavy. that extra quarter of a tonne in weight over my (non stock) S3 would probably mean it was no quicker (or possibly even a little slower)

Id be tempted with a new M4 xdrive. trouble is, they are quite heavy. that extra quarter of a tonne in weight over my (non stock) S3 would probably mean it was no quicker (or possibly even a little slower)
save some money and go M340i, that thing is FAST!

Reactions: pburv and Simon1972
RWD scares me

i do not have the skill required to drive a RWD car fast. I used to be terrified of my old 3 series. A FWD car is much easier to hoon around on a back road as you know the limit, RWD i had no idea what it was going to do next.

RWD scares me

i do not have the skill required to drive a RWD car fast. I used to be terrified of my old 3 series. A FWD car is much easier to hoon around on a back road as you know the limit, RWD i had no idea what it was going to do next.

It's only in the wet that rwd is an issue.

It's only in the wet that rwd is an issue.

I've seen Jags etc wheelspin in the dry on roundabouts when to much power is applied. Driver error mainly but a lot easier to do than Fwd.
I guess we're used to the general easier drive given by Fwd. Then again I've seen Rwd BM's giving it some in the wet without issue.

When I started driving I drove a few RWD cars. No real issues except in snow.
Had plenty rwd BMWs when my MINIs were getting serviced, always a great drive.

Saw a new M135i in a metallic blue yesterday. Lovely looking motor.