New Audi TDI owner with a blizzard of questions!

Audigit

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Good morning folks :)

I'm a New B8 2.0 TDI Avant owner and new to Audi full stop so have all kinds of questions but some have been answered by searching the forums (very helpful people on here!) but I'd like to ask something to get a comprehensive answer in one place...

Are there any common and/or major issues with the 2011 2.0 TDI engine that I need to be made aware of? Just so I can get them sorted now before they become a problem.

Car has covered 90k and service history points to having full Audi servicing and MOTs at dealerships with the exception of the most recent before my ownership.

Thanks in advance.

the only issue I've had is with the dpf filter with regens common

Reactions: Audigit
Thanks phil g

They seem to be good engines! Mine is (apparently) the 140bhp version. I'm more than happy with it but may look to up it a little in the future. I'm currently researching the mechanical differences between the 140bhp and 170bhp. There doesn't seem to be much difference, the map is different too of course.

nice 1 ye not much in it I have 177bph black edition nav

Attachments

• 20160921_132903.jpg
    20160921_132903.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 119
Hello and welcome. Any alleged teething problems with the 2.0 TDI engine seem to have been sorted out well prior to 2011. The problem with the internet is that if you research any car, I can almost guarantee that you will find somebody, somewhere reporting an issue that will frighten you. :smiley:

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro and feva
Welcome, they are pretty reliable engines and of course can suffer issues but there is not really anything that you can change to stop a problem occuring. A lot of the time people who have issues with the DPF suffer that because the car may be doing short trips in town or a sensor fails, typically the DPF differential pressure sensor.
If you get any fault codes best to investigate them promptly, If you have an android phone look at getting a £5 bluetooth dongle and download Carista.

Thanks all, it's reassuring to know that some of the horror stories are exactly what I thought, isolated issues.

OK, next question.

I've been searching for my first change on the car and decided on LED rear number plate lights (I say that like there are front ones ha ha) and want the oem units but I've seen that on my late 2011 (61 plate) that I may need a small loom to plug between the led lights and car loom, depending on which bcm I have? but I've been unable to find part numbers for these items? Could someone tell me the part numbers I need (for the led lights themselves and looms/leads needed) or point me in the direction?

Well it didn't take long to start doing things lol...

Had an annoying rattle in the tailgate so...

59304340160515a9474e7870374e1f4c.jpg

Found a loose metal clip. The panel has been off before me and was poorly refitted so will need to replace that at some point. Probably for one with the auto close button in prep for the retrofit.

Then onto the main annoyance. The previous owner spilt coke all down the left side of the controls for the climate and radio so...

56bf7d769bc10d0fcf0407bc021c3f61.jpg

Stripped it all down and...

7d76f3d0094c10ace8449d90f9e3ce9b.jpg

Opened up both units to access the buttons so I could clean and un-stick them.

401368691920cfdf736a8e279e314f30.jpg

It was a 100% success and now all buttons work as they should :)

Also got these on Saturday...

2be6197444bd433ff5b18801f35eab40.jpg

But forgot to get the bits for the loom. I'll get that in the week and then fit them on the weekend.

Happy chappy!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Reactions: xpoweruk
What lights are those, where did you get them and how much did you pay?

What lights are those, where did you get them and how much did you pay?
They are the genuine OEM ones from the facelift B8. Bought them from my local Audi dealership for £39.72.

I have to same it's a nice light. Mine fitted with out extra wiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audigit
Found a loose metal clip. The panel has been off before me and was poorly refitted so will need to replace that at some point. Probably for one with the auto close button in prep for the retrofit.

What kind of costs are you expecting to retrofit the auto tailgate?

If the hatch trim panel has been off it may have had a replacement rear wiper, they are a pretty poor design. or maybe a water leak from the wiper fluid.

It's not cheap. If you can source the actuators and wiring second hand it would be a lot cheaper, but there aren't that many cars fitted with this option.
https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/audi/a4/a4-b8-8k/electronic-hatch-complete-audi-a4-8k-avant
You also need to check if the comfort control module needs upgrading.
I'd be sourcing the parts needed myself. I'm in no rush so can take my time with all the retrofits. I can fit it all myself with little trouble. I don't suppose you happen to know which module is needed? In fact, is there a comfort module that's a "one stop shop" for all the retrofits that requires that particular module? Like future planning for further additions.

So, almost finished the adapters for the OEM LED number plate lights...

d4b4b11aac62ca661a5e63bd5172fda5.jpg

Always fun doing this with a hyperactive 1yo around your feet lol.

And the improvements continue...

222e9dd196ab96ac7b8e50bad0a34af9.jpg

2a27c58668236de61c81b14b63d45449.jpg

Also fitted some tailored mats (which had the plastic mounting bits too) and some winter prep by changing all 3 wipers for some new Bosch items (literally the best wipers I've ever used, 100% clean sweep!).

Next will be timing belt and associated parts (water pump with metal impeller etc) and new brakes all round.

Then hopefully some problem free winter driving and then get onto some more changes in the new year, if I can avoid temptation. Dying to fit some bi-xenon headlights and facelift LED tail lights!

Reactions: xpoweruk
Looking good, much easier if you have the skills for the mods at home it seems :)
Definitely. I'll be able to do all the retrofits at home and most work but some things are just easier with a ramp (I have access to one if needed). Thankfully anything majorly mechanical can be outsourced to a friend (excellent mechanic).

Most things with cars just require time, patience and the right tools.

Reactions: lfcrule1972