New B7 S4 owner

sainte986

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Evening All,

Hope we are all having a good weekend.

I have recently purchased my new toy a 56plate s4, 1 owner from new lots of nice toys. Engine runs sweet as a nut even seen it average 26mpg.

Just noticed a few problems, 1 is the CD player not accepting any cd, just says err, it's a concert unit. 2 when you open the boot the light doesn't come on and it throws up multiple bulb warnings.

Any advice on the above?

Hi and welcome to the forum and good choice of car, Unfortunately I don't have any experience with your issues but it might be an idea to plug it into vcds to see if it throws out any errors

Morning, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Any pics of the car? Where you located? Enjoy the forum :) x

Hi looking to buy a B7 S4 myself very soon, so keen to hear your initial thoughts and experiences

Initial thoughts are very solid car, the Quattro really brings out the best of the v8. The only problems I have are the above listed which aren't deal breakers. When the light is better I will post some pictures. Mine is a 1 owner from new, very nice options on it, including solar roof. Fuel is between 20-26mpg, after all it's full time 4wheel drive and 4.2 V8, so didn't expect better than mid 20s. Also people who have pre March 2006 which is the cheaper tax are charging a premium for that. Mine is a September 2006, which puts it in the £505/yr. Driving is a pleasure, mine is completely standard and you get a lovely bumble from the exhaust to a howl when it's going. Ride is firm but not unpleasant. Great car, very happy with the purchase. Anything else I can help, let me know

Initial thoughts are very solid car, the Quattro really brings out the best of the v8. The only problems I have are the above listed which aren't deal breakers. When the light is better I will post some pictures. Mine is a 1 owner from new, very nice options on it, including solar roof. Fuel is between 20-26mpg, after all it's full time 4wheel drive and 4.2 V8, so didn't expect better than mid 20s. Also people who have pre March 2006 which is the cheaper tax are charging a premium for that. Mine is a September 2006, which puts it in the £505/yr. Driving is a pleasure, mine is completely standard and you get a lovely bumble from the exhaust to a howl when it's going. Ride is firm but not unpleasant. Great car, very happy with the purchase. Anything else I can help, let me know

Hi thanks for the reply, sounds like you got a nice car there, am looking at a few but trying to find a nice one with Satnav and Tiptronic Auto is not easy. Hopefully be joining the S4 owners soon though.

I looked on eBay,auto trader, etc. Most are black or silver. Some are modded, which I wasn't interested in. Audi don't give much for free even on the range topper. I thought about the auto, but have had two skoda dsg gearboxes, so have been spoilt. I have a manual with Bose concert cdplayer which is a lovely sound, but you may prefer to listen to the engine

Reactions: sportquattro
You can buy Concert units cheap enough on Ebay if you can't fix the DVD player, or upgrade to one of the many sat nav units available.
As for the boot lights, you can do no more than remove them, try changing bulbs, check the contact springs are not shorting out with each other or to the metal bodywork.
The one on the tailgate bottom edge could have water on it which wouldn't help.

Last edited:
Sorry it has taken a while to get the pics up.

Its a 2006 Audi S4 in Brilliant Red, one owner from new, full history.
Options,
Front and Rear Parking sensors
Auto open boot lid
Electronic folding mirrors
Electric Solar Sunroof
Tyre Pressure monitor
Auto dipping rear view mirror
3spoke multi function steering wheel
Alcantara/leather seats
Cruise control
Adaptive light
BOSE sound system
iPod connection
And the pics,

Ooooo! Red will get you noticed. You have a Sunroof or Panoramic, not a Solar roof.
Did you fix the CD player?

Ooooo! Red will get you noticed. You have a Sunroof or Panoramic, not a Solar roof.
Did you fix the CD player?

It is the solar sunroof, only opens and closes. Runs the fans when the car is sat in the sun to keep it cool. Never heard of anything like it before.

Thank you, when I was looking it was the one that kept grabbing my attention, very pleased with the colour. Wheels need refurb, thinking black instead of silver.

CD player still doesn't work, but iPod works fine and the radio, so 2/3 isn't bad.

I stand corrected there, Yes I have heard of them but thought only Mercedes did the Solar roofs.
I have the 2005 sales brochure and it doesn't mention it there. Could your car have come from somewhere like Gibraltar or Malta?
You may have a CD stuck inside the player and that's why it won't accept another. Usual way of fixing, is to insert a CD about an inch in and press the eject button and the stuck one should pop out. Try this a few times, it may work.

I stand corrected there, Yes I have heard of them but thought only Mercedes did the Solar roofs.
I have the 2005 sales brochure and it doesn't mention it there. Could your car have come from somewhere like Gibraltar or Malta?
You may have a CD stuck inside the player and that's why it won't accept another. Usual way of fixing, is to insert a CD about an inch in and press the eject button and the stuck one should pop out. Try this a few times, it may work.

It is a genuine UK car, even have the configure printout from when it was ordered new at Brighton Audi. It's a 2006/56 registered 1st sept 2006.
The sticky at the top it is in there the roof. The sales brochure.

It does accept a cd just comes up with cd err. Might try and take it out and see if it isn't something stupid over Christmas.

Well, I picked up the S4 yesterday, filled the tank with fuel and drove the 187 miles home on the motorway at a steady 75-80 mph, fuel economy??? 30.0 MPG which astonished me, I have checked it manually and it came out at 29.9 which is near as dammit the same. Initial thoughts are what a fantastic car, feels really smooth, planted and a very nice place to be. The Sat Nav takes a bit of getting used to but I'm sure I'll suss out all it modes etc. Performance is very much a grin inducing thing, coming from a tuned 8L S3 I wasn't expecting a huge difference, but the S4 particularly in Sport Mode on the Tiptronic gearbox is definitely a seriously quick motor car. The 24 mile drive to work today showed 26.7 mpg so happy as Larry, I was expecting sub 20 MPG on short journeys and 25 on a long run. I didn't buy it for economy, but am pleasantly surprised so far, no doubt once I start to use the loud pedal more it will change but hey that's V8 motoring for you.

Only mod it needs desperately is Bluetooth hands free, have any forum members used the Dension Gateway at all? If so how did you get on with it? Easy/Difficult to fit? Any other bluetooth recommendations welcome.

Nige

Congrats mate, after looking at the official mpg figures, 14mpg urban, I was also pleasantly surprised about the fuel economy. Bit of a shame though as I am selling it soon.

Only mod it needs desperately is Bluetooth hands free, have any forum members used the Dension Gateway at all? If so how did you get on with it? Easy/Difficult to fit? Any other bluetooth recommendations welcome.

Hi

I have fitted the xCarLink which is the same as the dension with slightly fewer features. Easy install, remove radio, add plug to cd changer port, ground on radio...done. One of the best things I did to my car - love it.

Stupid question to ask so, my car doesn't have any wing mounted v8 badges. Was this a option or are mine just missing?