New B8 owner and panaramic sunroof water leak!

bhodgkiss

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just picked up a 2008 B8 3,0TDI Avant at a good price, so looking forward to some time on this forum.

I know members such as Karl with the 380bhp+ 3.0TDI so know there's some good guys on here.

So to start with.... I need to sort a water leak around the panoramic sunroof. The rear right seat is wet and headlining above.

I believe I first need to check the front and rear drains? So peel back the rear wheel arch liner and access the rear drain from there?

Any help appreciated - ive done a few searches and found various info, but was hoping this thread might end up as a useful one as I'll put all the info on here.

Many thanks

Also two other niggles please:

- The front passenger seat rattles when going over bumps (when no-one is sat it in, its a proper metallic tapping sound. Looks to be the upright part of the seat buzzing around
- Left headlight washer pops out but doesn't pop back in! Is there a common fault on this please?

Ive got vag-com and its not thrown up too many issues in general.

Headlight washer is very common to be faulty and leak. And not a cheap fix.

Front bumper off and replacement washer job.

Regards the rattling seat, ideally you want to remove from the car to access it from both sides. Be aware if you disconnect from the car it may throw up errors, fine in you have VCDS. Not sure just how much you can adjust on these seats, as something is either loose or worn. Had a similar rattle on the passenger front seat on my B5 V6 quattro. Ended up turning up the CD player! You might be able to adjust, or add a little foam padding if it's metal on metal.

I recently had the same issue with my panoramic sunroof and I managed to fix it without too much trouble. Please see my thread;

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/water-ingress-rear-passenger-side.380440/

I cleaned out the drainage hole in the rear wheel well following instructions from one of the links in the thread. So far haven't had any further leaks (touch wood!) and we've had a fair bit of rain since I cleaned it out.

Many thanks

I don't actually have water in the car at the rear.

Both front footwells are wet, and when the roof opens it dumps water onto the rear right seat.

What is the special tool to remove the grab handles when doing the headliner please? I might as well buy one :)

Both front footwells are wet, and when the roof opens it dumps water onto the rear right seat.

What is the special tool to remove the grab handles when doing the headliner please? I might as well buy one :)

Given its winter then you really want to minimise damage to the car. It's amazing just how much water can come in the car, so dry off the carpets, and get some plastic sheeting down there. Tape off where the water runs down the footwell plastic trim to capture it, otherwise you're in a world of **** as the soundproofing under the carpet will suck it up.

This is quite a good guide for the tool for the headliner handles. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/701896-B8-A4-DIY-Headliner-Removal

I'm still trying to solve the issue, and short of spending £800 for a new cassette which may or may not solve it, I'm trying this. https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/uploads/10/Yeti_Panoramic_Roof_Leak.pdf

I ordered the Captain Tolley's sealer. Sure saves opening the roof lining again, (bear in mind I've been in there more times than a surgeon doing a routine appendix operation). Plant to put Sikaflex 291 (black) over the top too from the outside.

Just an update, the sunroof leak was blocked drain holes in the channels on both sides of the sunroof itself, 3/4 the way towards the front of the sunroof. So not the main front and rear holes

Too much grease has been applied in the channels, which blocked the hole on each side, which then caused water to pooland overflowinto an area which it shouldn't, thus dripping inside the car.

It's certainly not dripping in now, so seems to have cured it.

Aside the headlight washer jet issue is a simple misalignment between washer jet and front bumper hole (see below)

Can the washer jet assembly adjust in position to better align with the bumper please? Ideally it needs to go 5mm to the right in the photo below

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/...5-798D-41A6-BE9D-B7D11F4CBD15_zpsxihq0qv6.jpg

Last edited:
Beat me to it! Since I wrote that post i've had no issues since.

I should have kept quiet! Noticed drips in the passenger front footwell. Thankfully as I know what to do now within 5 mins of looking I had the roof lining down on that side the drain hose was loose again. Taped up and then cabled tied into place, not going anywhere this time!

Hi i already apologize for my bad english but maybe someone smarter can help me, so to get better my problem i got water leaking into my panoramic sunroof, pretty random place look at pic, im gonna be realy grateful for any information :)

Attachments

• audi luuka.png
    audi luuka.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
Hi i already apologize for my bad english but maybe someone smarter can help me, so to get better my problem i got water leaking into my panoramic sunroof, pretty random place look at pic, im gonna be realy grateful for any information :)
What do you need to know?
Assuming it's not the drainage tubes, then it's the sunroof itself. I'll be as tactful as I can. .. it's ******!

So Webasto produce these parts, and it's not limited to Audi, but SEAT, Skoda, and Volkswagen, so across the VAG range. Basically it's in the sunroof cassette, so poor design, plastic meets metal with a jointing sealant to fuse them that leaks like a sieve. If you think about it - the car will be out in the extremes of summer and winter depending where you live, so it's little wonder this problem presents itself after the initial 3 year manufacturer warranty expires.

I actually repaired mine again, for the fifth or sixth time at the weekend. The only real way to repair is to replace the part, but that means a load of labour, the part isn't cheap, ad you'll be chasing this monkey again in 3-4 years when it leaks after a downpour.

What I would say - I've changed my repair method from Sikaflex 291i (marine sealant) which ironically was ****, and moved to a cheap as chips silicone sealant available from any DIY store.

Read this: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/water-leak-passenger-side-a4-avant.315385/

In the meantime, get plastic down on the carpet, as moisture in the carpet and foam sound insulation will cause condensation, wiring issues and no end of trouble.

RS Tools produce the tool for removing the interior grab handles. The rest is Torx screws. If you need a full tear down procedure - drop me a note and I'll talk you through it.

• Love
Reactions: JohnS3 and nukedtm
Yes it would be nice to talk You private, can u message me somehow? i just dont know how this homepage works... :(

If you are going to try the sealant route we use SAS RTV Silicone Sealant for our HGVs and heavy plant and it seems to do a very good job. Pretty inexpensive as well.

Reactions: All-rod and spartacus68