New Battery Required. anyone used this one? Bosch S5

Q5 TRS

Reaction score
im after a new battery. mine has died twice last week, confirmed its dying tonight with a Voltage check and test.

a Bosch S5 battery was recommended to me and was wondering if anyone has used this, if so, any good?

halfords link.

where to get one from. heard the bosch range was around £45 from andrew paige

Thanks

The price people charge to replace a battery is a joke. I've just changed 3 batteries and used the Bosch S5, so far they have been very good, and if you are a member at costco, the you can get them for around £65+ VAT which is a dam sight better than chavfords.

is there a specific one i should get for my A4 2.5 TDI or will any one do?

hey guys just check euro parts online when you put your reg in it it will give
you the right one and other things for your car and good price too.

is there a specific one i should get for my A4 2.5 TDI or will any one do?

Measure up your current battery length ways, and get the equivalent size Bosch S5 battery, or their is a chart on the stand which states which battery for which make/model of car.

I've just had mine replaced with a Varta Silver Dynamic E38:

Click herefor details. This isn't who I got it from, but it does provide details of the spec, and a reference point for price comparisons.

Mines been playing up over the past few weeks also, had to jump start it a few mornings.

So went to Halfords on way home from work to see what they had and the Bosch S5 is £120 , but can get one for £76 using the Halfords Trade card.

Checked the one fitted and it states 380A 80Ah, but the Bosch S5 said 780A 77Ah, so would this be ok to fit?

Oh yes indeed its a higher spec with that cranking capacity

Check out GSF (German & Swedish) for batteries - they stock Bosch batteries.
Fraction of the price of Halfords!

got one for £85 inc Vat. a bosch S5, i think its the Bosch 12V Silver Car Battery HSB096 780 amps one. ill double check tomorrow.

gonna fit it tomorrow lunch time. hopefully will solve my problems. :)

they wanted £125 in halfords. got them to check the battery today, it was 47% capacity.

Cheers Woorlord, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Rang GSF today and they said that a 80Ah battery would be £75.20 (Audi OEM). Also rang a motor factors near my work and a Varta was £69.90 with 2 yrs.

But thinking about it the Bosch S5 from Halfords is only £6 more with using the Trade card than the Varta and comes with a 5yrs cover.

Is it a straight forward job to remove the old one and fit the new one?

Straight forward but awkward - unbolt the old one and lift it out, lift in the new one and bolt it down. Battery is very heavy and at arms length a pain to fit - just be patient!
(Depending on model an engine bay covers fitted you will have to remove them around the battery - that's the easy bit.)

I followed these instructions.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2700414

It was a good guide. really fiddly , took me 1 hour so no sandwich for me at lunch time :(

i think mine has 5 years warranty, or 4. cant remember. when i get my energy back after todays crazy antics ill have a look. but for now, im relaxing.....

i had to follow that guide backwards starting from 10 because he didnt do the guide till he put the new battery in.

if you have a friend to help you should put a strong pole through the battery handles and lift each end. saves the old back