New Black Edition Owner Saying Hello :)

Beanhead

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New B8 black edition owner, really pleased with the car so far thought I'd drop by.

I'm coming from a 987 Boxster and bizarrely, couldn't be happier. As much as I loved the 987, it was arguably the most inconvenient car I had, so I love that I have a big car, with 4 doors, a massive boot and a solid roof!

Just wanted to say how useful it was using this place prior to me getting the car and understanding a bit better the quirks of the A4.

So this is it, it's a early 2012 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Black Edition

IMG 20200729 085145

I don't believe the rear tints are original. They seem very dark compared to other black editions I've seen and when lifting the boot, you can see the edges starting to come away. Will look to return to an OEM style, these just seem quite dark.

The bits it didn't have like other black editions I saw were, flat bottom wheel, heated seats and MMI 3G+, but neither of these were game changers for me, as much as I loved heated seats in the porsche on a winters day.

Wheels

IMG 20200729 085151

So the wheels have been refurbed matt black. I was initially hesitant, but can live with it as they've been done well, and its clearly been done as these have been kerbed at some point prior. Thinking about returning to the gunmetal, diamond cut OEM look, but its quite pricey so will have to wait a bit.

IMG 20200729 085308

Would anyone happen to know what these straps/hooks in the rear window are please? Should there be something to pull down?

Also, anyone know the part number for this boot bit on the drivers side please? It seems to just not fix back into place, but there's nothing for it to clip onto if that makes sense so not sure if its the little compartment itself or the bigger trim item missing the slot for it to fix onto (if that makes sense).

IMG 20200729 085217 Bokeh

IMG 20200729 085229 Bokeh

MMI:

Am I correct in that this is a MMI 3G lite? Also, any ideas what this cable is please? It looks like a really old skool apple one, but then again I can't be sure.

IMG 20200729 085554

IMG 20200729 085449

Leather

IMG 20200729 085337

This luckily had all stitching in tact, but with a nearly 9 year old car it does have its creases/fading. Any suggestions for leather products to rejuvinate?

Hand Brake

Still getting familiar with a handbrake that's not a massive lever you need to pull with full force, but mine squeals when putting on. It works fine, no issues, but is it meant to sound like a pig being kicked in the nuts?

Security

I've seen a few posts on here stating making sure your Audi is secured, whilst this isn't an S or RS, should I still be securing it with something aftermarket? E.g. Ghost or wheel clamp?

Keys

This only came with one, can I only get a key cut from Audi or are there independent vendors who could do this please? Any recommendations?

Upgrades

Welcome your thoughts on what I should and shouldn't be doing to this. Do love the stock look of it and would like to return the non-standard bits like tints and wheels back to OEM. However, welcome anything you think I should do from this point forward.

Overall, fairly happy with it, just the little niggles as mentioned above but looking forward to driving the car.

Anyway, thanks and any feedback/help/suggestions always appreciated.

Beans

Reactions: Nitro_CR and Sandra
Welcome to Audi-sport.net

Reactions: Beanhead
Welcome Beans!
Good looking motor, I'd take your black wheels, not so keen on my shiny silver ones!
That cable is AMI to Apple 30 PIN which is indeed the old skool ones, now replaced by lightning as of a few years ago. If you've got an old iPod you can hook it up :)
I've just had my tints done aftermarket, you can tell as there's a small gap between the original dots on the edges and where the tints start, pic attached on my rear windscreen as an example. Mine is 80% which is the second highest level they did, limousine is 95% which is super dark.

Attachments

• 20200729_153953.jpg
    20200729_153953.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 83
The hooks in the boot are for hanging your shopping bags on, pull the strap down and hook up. Also known as curry hooks :whistle2:

:sign welcome: @Beanhead enjoy your nice new motor. :thumbs up:

JG

Welcome to Audi-sport.net

Thanks

Welcome Beans!
Good looking motor, I'd take your black wheels, not so keen on my shiny silver ones!
That cable is AMI to Apple 30 PIN which is indeed the old skool ones, now replaced by lightning as of a few years ago. If you've got an old iPod you can hook it up :)
I've just had my tints done aftermarket, you can tell as there's a small gap between the original dots on the edges and where the tints start, pic attached on my rear windscreen as an example. Mine is 80% which is the second highest level they did, limousine is 95% which is super dark.

Thanks. The wheels are growing on me, but bizarrely just always been an OEM guy :shrug:

Ah OK, its the AMI cable. I've seen Bluetooth bolt ons as I believe with the MMI 3G lite I can't get audio over BT just phone? Will have to look at an AMI BT type thing to see if I can get audio over the stereo.

That's good to know on tints, now you mention it, might have to see if it covers the dots or not.

The hooks in the boot are for hanging your shopping bags on, pull the strap down and hook up. Also known as curry hooks :whistle2:

:sign welcome: @Beanhead enjoy your nice new motor. :thumbs up:

JG

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, thanks, that's what the hooks are for! I wasn't sure if there was trim missing or some kind of pull down blind thing.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Welcome. Lovely looking car.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi mate and welcome

The dots and the linse will remain like that on the tint and I would not remove the tint.

Genuine Rotors with diamond cut are the real deal for me not some cheap refurb black painted or whatever

I’ve tinted my headlights and then stoplights but removed the headlight tint after as visibility during night was less than 50%.

Retrofitted glovebox light, doors warning and puddle lights, dynamic signal light on mirrors, and activated a couple of things in MMI.

Any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Mine is A4 2015 Black Edition S-Line NAV, but used to have a A4 2010 which I retrofitted Black Edition on my own, which unfortunately I crushed, but here is a pic of current one:

5a340848ad5cfc883cf2f2ffffe68fae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate and welcome

The dots and the linse will remain like that on the tint and I would not remove the tint.

Genuine Rotors with diamond cut are the real deal for me not some cheap refurb black painted or whatever

I’ve tinted my headlights and then stoplights but removed the headlight tint after as visibility during night was less than 50%.

Retrofitted glovebox light, doors warning and puddle lights, dynamic signal light on mirrors, and activated a couple of things in MMI.

Any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Mine is A4 2015 Black Edition S-Line NAV, but used to have a A4 2010 which I retrofitted Black Edition on my own, which unfortunately I crushed, but here is a pic of current one:

5a340848ad5cfc883cf2f2ffffe68fae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely car mate. You wouldn't happen to have a link for the glovebox mod would you?

When I bought my 15 plate S4 Black Edition it had Limo tint to the rear doors and screen, it was so dark at night I couldn't see anything. I put up with it for a couple of months until I could stand it no more and removed it.

IMG 20200322 133516 resized 20200322 024758796

Thank you. Wasn't until you posted this I realised there isn't a glove box light.

When I bought my 15 plate S4 Black Edition it had Limo tint to the rear doors and screen, it was so dark at night I couldn't see anything. I put up with it for a couple of months until I could stand it no more and removed it.

View attachment 207183

Lovely car mate.

Aka very black edition :tearsofjoy:

Haha, indeed.

Thank you.
That was the day I bought her in September last year, looks even better now as I gave her a two stage machine correction detail and ceramic wax at the start of lockdown.
Also very low mileage for a 5 year old, turned over to 24k yesterday on my way to the MOT test station.