New brakes

matty

Reaction score
How much should a set of new front and rear discs and pads cost?

I'm getting some silly quotes...

what car?

I brought a set of ATE powerdisc for the fronts of my '96 1.8ts and they cost £30 each, rears cost £20(ish) and pads cost £26 (fr Pagid) £15 (r ATE) so in total you are looking at £140 ish for a full set.

try www.eurocarparts.co.uk

Simon

s4: discs OEM £40+vat each, aftermarket £200+vat approx, pads OEM £86+vat, EBC Green £120+vat, Pagid £90+vat

David, you were very lucky with the £40 + VAT S4 disks. Think it was an Audi ****-up on price. They have now superseded these with a new part number that are nearer £90 each /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Hardly any savings on these at VAGParts either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have you got the EBC disks yet? When I emailed EBC they asked me for the disk dimensions which didn't seem too promising.

David

Haven't found aftermarket disks yet sadly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif There were rumours from EBC and Tarox that they were forthcoming, but no signs to suggest that is the case. Anyhooo, apart from warping the new set, I am very happy with the 3rd set and EBC pads, which I am running in a little more gently this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a look at the ATE discs, I am sure they do one for the S4 and they work well.

look at here

They are good.

yeah car would help!!

it's a 99 1.8t

I checked out Eurocarparts and OEM stuff was £185 all in and the ATE discs were only for the 2.6/2.8

Have since been told the rear wheel bearings need to be changed with the rear discs???

Really going off Audi's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rear wheel bearings with the rear discs? Sounds like ****** to me mate!

ATE power discs - Euro Car parts no 926440060 is the correct front disc (DON'T FORGET THEY LIST THEM AS SINGLES ONLY!) £29

in fact everything you require is as my first post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

POWERD.BMP

[ QUOTE ]
matty said:

Have since been told the rear wheel bearings need to be changed with the rear discs???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true. I got mine done and it had to new bearings as well. Can't remember the technical reasons.

It came as a bit of a shock, but it wasn't too much. Your supposed to change the ABS rotor as well IIRC, but you can probably get away with your old one.

Just looked at Erwin running gear manual. On the Front wheel drive A4's the disk and rear hub are one component and thus you cannot separate the disk from the hub. This is not the case on the 4WD A4s - you can replace the disk without removing the rear hub.

Unfortunately, on the front wheel drive if replacing the disk strictly speaking you should fit new bearings into the new hub even though your old bearings could be ok. The reason for this is that generally the bearings are hydraulically pressed into the hub. Or if you're me, carefully hammered in using a large socket or something of similar diameter to the outer race of the bearing so that you do not place any stress on the bearing while driving it in. Therefore, to remove the old bearings takes considerable effort if you want to save them. This usually involves carefully hammering out the outer race of the bearing by means of a large blunt screwdriver. There is usually a small slot machined out off the bearing stop in the hub, which will allow you to place the screwdriver onto the outer race to start the driving out operation. The slot could be difficult to see for all the grease.

Having said all this. The bearings are usually only about £10-£20 and quite frankly trying to save the old bearings is an act of desperation.

Also, if you don't have a hydraulic press and you don't fancy hammering them, most garages should have a general hydraulic press or even a large vice and can perform this for you in minutes.

I sometimes warm the disk up in the oven to at least 100degC. in an attempt to expand the hub to make the driving operation easier. Make sure you clean all the oil of the new disk or you'll stink the house out. NOT popular with the rest of the household!

As for the ABS sensor ring, this is also pressed onto the hub. From past experience I would nearly always recommend replacing this at the same time as it's such a lightweight piece of metal that it's only relay good for one installation after that it's stretched and just won't remain tight on the hub. Once loose this will screw up the ABS sensor and report it's self as a fault. Hope this is of some help. I strongly recommend getting a Haynes manual if you've never tackled this before or the Audi Ewin manuals if it's a Quattro since Haynes don't cover the Quattro /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif