New car and told dealer not to wash it.

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Picking up a new car on Friday and have told the dealer not to wash it just removed the transport covers. The question is what to expect. I know the car was in transport for a total of 6 days, and it's been at the docks in the Uk for 3 days. So don't think the paint work will be that dirty

I have a few questions for anyone who has picked up a car and asked the dealer not to wash it.

Will the tape that holds down the transport covers be stuck to the paint work, and what is best way to remove this film.
What have you done regarding paint work contamination, should I clay bar the car.
Also heard the windows can get covered with tape and can be sod to remove, what is the best way to remove this.
Any other tips members have found over the years when dealing with new cars.

I'm planning on a good detailing session, snow foam wash, clay(unsure on this as yet) swissvax cleaner fluid, then many coats of swissvax shield. Will also be removing the alloys and sealing the wheels.

Picking up a new car on Friday and have told the dealer not to wash it just removed the transport covers. The question is what to expect. I know the car was in transport for a total of 6 days, and it's been at the docks in the Uk for 3 days. So don't think the paint work will be that dirty

I have a few questions for anyone who has picked up a car and asked the dealer not to wash it.

Will the tape that holds down the transport covers be stuck to the paint work, and what is best way to remove this film.
What have you done regarding paint work contamination, should I clay bar the car.
Also heard the windows can get covered with tape and can be sod to remove, what is the best way to remove this.
Any other tips members have found over the years when dealing with new cars.

I'm planning on a good detailing session, snow foam wash, clay(unsure on this as yet) swissvax cleaner fluid, then many coats of swissvax shield. Will also be removing the alloys and sealing the wheels.
@B5NUT - I was in a similar situation to you when my new S4 was delivered last May

I'll try and answer your questions -
1. I used Auto Finesse Oblitarate to remove the residue/glue left by the transport film
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/auto-finesse-oblitarate-cat6.html
2. I did a full decontamination on my car. I felt better doing it as as you know it all about the prep
3. My windows were ok. There was some particularly difficult residue to shift on the rear window but this came off easily enough with Autoglym glass polish
4. Enjoy it!

More detail as to what I did for my new car protection detail on my S4 here -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...lue-b8-5-audi-s4-black-edition-saloon.247421/

Reactions: B5NUT
I did pretty much what Bristle Hound did to his new car when I got mine, because even though I was getting a quartz coating on it that was going to be a few weeks after collection and I wanted some protection on it in the meantime. One thing I forgot, though, was to use the fallout remover (IronX or equivalent) on the windows - remember they'll be covered in transport debris as well as the paint!

@B5NUT So its finally arrived at the dealership. Have a great collection day tomorrow and we so looking forward to the pics. :) x

Thanks Sandra it's been along 5 months!
It be so worth it though when you see it tomorrow and go for a nice long drive. Weekend coming up so lots of time to drive. :) x

First will be hours of cleaning, however this is weather depending and looking at the forecast it's going to be rubbish!.

Took a drive to the UK swissvax distributor, and spent a bit more than planned.

Got a load of KochChemie products, also got 2 new wash buckets with grit catchers and a new snow foam lance.

WP_20160929_20_22_08_Rich_zpscca5jpop.jpg

Reactions: Rob_F, Bristle Hound and Sandra
First will be hours of cleaning, however this is weather depending and looking at the forecast it's going to be rubbish!.

Took a drive to the UK swissvax distributor, and spent a bit more than planned.

Got a load of KochChemie products, also got 2 new wash buckets with grit catchers and a new snow foam lance.

WP_20160929_20_22_08_Rich_zpscca5jpop.jpg

You deserve a nice treat after waiting so long for your car. I don't think the weather to be very good tomorrow in a lot of places. Its suppose to pick up a bit over the weekend. :)

Enjoy your collection to the max. Look forward to the pics:) X