New car detailing - Nanolex si3d - is £495 worth it?

Darroch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this detailing business but reading through this forum, I do see the value in getting my new car professionally detailed. Rather than attempting myself, I'd be happier someone doing it for me. I got in touch with this guy in Edinburgh as it's near my work:

http://www.privilegedetail.com/

He came back to say he would do a Nanolex si3d single stage enhancement. This consists of a full decontamination, a single stage machine polish to all exterior paintwork to remove surface defects and enhance the shine before applying a nano protective coating over the paint, wheels and exterior glass. It would be a 2 day service and would last 2 years or 20k mileage. The price would be £495.

My questions are:

- is it worth the price
- has anyone used this company before, if so do they do a good job

£495 is pretty steep so want to make sure i'm making the right decision.

Cheers :smiley:

Hi all,

I'm new to this detailing business but reading through this forum, I do see the value in getting my new car professionally detailed. Rather than attempting myself, I'd be happier someone doing it for me. I got in touch with this guy in Edinburgh as it's near my work:

http://www.privilegedetail.com/

He came back to say he would do a Nanolex si3d single stage enhancement. This consists of a full decontamination, a single stage machine polish to all exterior paintwork to remove surface defects and enhance the shine before applying a nano protective coating over the paint, wheels and exterior glass. It would be a 2 day service and would last 2 years or 20k mileage. The price would be £495.

My questions are:

- is it worth the price
- has anyone used this company before, if so do they do a good job

£495 is pretty steep so want to make sure i'm making the right decision.

Cheers :smiley:

£495 is a bit on the high side mate. Been several guys who have had top notch details done for around £300. Depends what you have in your local area I guess?

Reactions: Jassyo06
£495 is a bit on the high side mate. Been several guys who have had top notch details done for around £300. Depends what you have in your local area I guess?

That's what I thought considering the website says £295. I'm happy to drive the car to Fife, maybe as far Glasgow if anyone knows of a detailer which does a good job?

Would you expect your *new* car to have either surface defects in the paintwork or require decontamination? When I took delivery of mine, I applied my own sealant from Raceglaze, which cost about £30 and four hours of my time.

Reactions: Simon L
It will need decontamination and quite possibly small correction... Preparation is key in detailing

I paid £320 for Koch Chemie 1K Nano protection on wheels and bodywork... Nowhere near your area though

I intentionally asked for nothing to be done with the interior (as it wasn't needed), maybe you could do similar if you're struggling to get a good price?

Reactions: Brasso and Simon L
It will need decontamination and quite possibly small correction... Preparation is key in detailing

I paid £320 for Koch Chemie 1K Nano protection on wheels and bodywork... Nowhere near your area though

I intentionally asked for nothing to be done with the interior (as it wasn't needed), maybe you could do similar if you're struggling to get a good price?

Thanks, have emailed him as would be happier paying less.

Reactions: azibux1
he's charging £295 for the detail and £200 for the correction polishing - i know a new car is never 100% perfect, but i doubt it would need that much machining

This is what he responded with:

"Not overly as with a new car detail it is expected that the car is as new inside so up to 1 hour is allocated to freshen up the interior. I would reduce the price by £25 if you particularly didn’t want this done.

Other options to reduce cost include:

Nanolex protection but NO machine polishing work which can be done for £295 and can be done within one day. (if there are surface defects then these would get locked in under the sealant - sometimes this isn’t an issue as folk just want the car protected and can’t see swirl marks etc)

A Polish Angel Master Sealant detail can be completed for £325. This still has the Nanolex on the wheels and glass but the paintwork receives a very light machine with the Polish Angel paint cleanser to enhance gloss (won’t remove many swirls or defects) before being coated with their Master Sealant and topped with their wax. This gives an incredible slickness and gloss and will keep the paintwork protected for 1 year. This is personally one of my favourite finishes but it would need re applying in 12 months."

What do you think?

he's being pretty transparent, depends how much protection you want, i haven't found any marks on my new car so would be happy to seal it as it is

If you can get the dealer to not touch it, then you might be able to avoid the machine polish.

Even though I told mine not to wash it, he did and while on first look it didn't look bad, under the unforgiving light of the sun the swirls were all there. I guess it depends on how picky you are about it really. Would annoy me but I doubt most people would of noticed...

As for why it needs so much, you need to use compound to remove any defects. After the compounding stage you generally use a final polish to refine the finish. As such, it nearly always needs a two stage correction. If there are no defects you can just enhance it with a polish, but using a cutting compound and not refining won't leave great results.

As for expecting a new car to be decontaminated and have defects...unfortunately yes. Will pick up loads of rail dust and crap on the way over. Use Iron X on any new white delivered car and you will see it bleed. The defects will largely depend on how much the dealers touch it.

Reactions: Scottyg
I am totally confused on UK dealer prep prior to customer acceptance of new cars. In the colonies...Vancouver, Canada....new cars are prepped/inspected by the dealer. The cars arrive from Germany covered in white protective film. The dealer removes this and then fallout washes the car and polishes/glazes it. I am really fussy/finicky about my car finish. The last car I picked up from a factory order and presented to me the day after it came off the transporter had no swirls or blemishes and none after many washes. A car that has sat on the dealers lot is another story altogether.
I have always detailed all my own cars and would never have the so called 1 to 2 year protection products applied to my vehicle. A polish every 4 months with a very low abrasive, followed up with glaze gives great results. Just run your hand over a washed car and if you feel surface roughness, it is time to detail it. In most cases if you follow this procedure, hand polishing is all that is required along with two bucket washing once a week.
Also be very wary of using machine polishers, if you have no experience with using them and also the choices of polishing bonnet material.
I have also viewed cars that have been so called professionally detailed, some were very good but some were full of swirl marks etc.
Look at cars the detailer has finished and his shop appearance, prior to handing over your vehicle.

@Darroch what colour is your car??

I'd take @DrEskimo advice. Phone your dealer and tell under no circumstances touch the paintwork. Get your detailer to do a contaminant wash, 1 stage refine polish and then choose what coating you want. I prefer the Nano protection. It protects the car paintwork extremely well and you'll do well to mark the paintwork within the 18-24 months of its shelf life.
All you need is to finalise a price with him.

Reactions: DrEskimo
I am still at a total loss here. No and I repeat no car enthusiast in North America would ever have a paint protection product applied on their vehicle. The car has clear coat as a protectant. What are you achieving with these detailer applied 24 month protectants

I am still at a total loss here. No and I repeat no car enthusiast in North America would ever have a paint protection product applied on their vehicle. The car has clear coat as a protectant. What are you achieving with these detailer applied 24 month protectants

It's just a wax, but very hydrophobic and long lasting. Makes cleaning the car easy and is a sacrificial layer. Without protection the car is harder to wash, and if you do inflict any defects, you have to polish back the clear coat. Obviously you can only do this so many times....

I think your statement is a little over zealous. I think many people in North America apply waxes and sealants to their cars....

Look at my previous post I agree on waxes and glazes. I am just anal on keeping my car at looking it's best. Plus I enjoy detailing my car. A polish, wax and glaze leaves a stunning paint finish.

Last edited:
Well I agree, I enjoy applying it myself and going through the process, but not everyone has the time, equipment or facilities to do it themselves, so go to a detailer.

Doesn't make you any less of a car enthusiast does it?

And if you agree with waxes, why the clear coat comment? And if you like you car looking its best, why cant you understand why someone would take it to a professional and get it looking perfect and then maintain it by using one of the best, most lasting paint protection products there are??

Reactions: scotty76
Try TLC Detailing in Stirling, they are on Facebook and regularly do deals.
The guys do Lambos and all sorts so know their stuff

As has been said, a wax or glaze will protect the paintwork from the elements but not from other things like quick washes or dealer washes when in for services (many threads on here about that), fallout or bird lime. If you inflict some marring or swirls on the Nano/ceramic coating it won't show up where as it would if only a wax or glaze was applied. I'm not saying waxes or glazes are bad, I still use them on top of the Nano Sealant I use but they won't give that extra coating of protection some people want/need.
As @DrEskimo said, most don't have the time, energy, know how or inkling to be bothered with proper wash routines. This way they get the best of both worlds.
I'm surprised that these products aren't popular in North America. I've looked at a good few that are manufactured there.

Here's a page from your neck of the woods, or not that far.
http://detailusa.net/nano-ceramic-sealant-the-new-standard-in-car-care/

Reactions: Brasso
Not to labour a point....clear coat is applied to add gloss and protect the base coat paint and I do understand taking a car to a detailer, if you are so inclined and as I stated some do a very professional finish, some are questionable. It is just my personal opinion on 2 year top coatings and their worth.

Not to labour a point....clear coat is applied to add gloss and protect the base coat paint and I do understand taking a car to a detailer, if you are so inclined and as I stated some do a very professional finish, some are questionable. It is just my personal opinion on 2 year top coatings and their worth.

And you add another layer of wax, sealant or nano ceramic coating to protect the clear coat!!!

Thanks Scootyg looked at the link you supplied and it looks like an interesting product that I was not aware of, so I stand corrected on that product.
But all the same I will keep on my detailing schedule, as I am very wary of most detailing shops in my neck of the woods. There is one whose work is top notch but he charges a king's ransom.

The one I have to use on my next new car is CarPro Cquartz Uk. I use CarPro Reload just now. Great products and very easy to use and apply yourself. As like you I love detailing my own car.

Looked at both products very interesting. I must get out more!!!!
I like the facts that both are applied to a polished car with no silicone, wax products or swirl present on finish. Is the shine comparable to a glazed finish, which leaves a very wet look to the paint?

Reactions: DrEskimo
IMG 0911

Here's mine from the weekend. Just a quick wash. It has Reload on it and nowt else at the moment.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Looked at both products very interesting. I must get out more!!!!
I like the facts that both are applied to a polished car with no silicone, wax products or swirl present on finish. Is the shine comparable to a glazed finish, which leaves a very wet look to the paint?

I think you're right to have a healthy dose of cynicism with detailing...far too much snake oil!

But yea these nano coatings really are awesome. As you point out, they require a very thorough machine polish to make sure the paint is perfect. Any defects will be locked in for a couple of years so isn't ideal! They also require the paint to be completely 'naked' so no glazes or fillers can be present. Needs a full IPA wipedown before applying.

That's why professional detailers are good to use, as they can get the paint perfect and these coatings do require good conditions to cure properly. Decent temperature and can't get wet for around 12hrs after applying.

I've got one from Liquid Elements called ECO shield that I've been trying to apply since I got my S5 in November and still haven't had a chance to apply! Tried to on Sunday and it rained mid way through polishing :(

Other good ones are Gtechniq, CarPro and some others.

Happy researching :)

Reactions: Brasso, Flying Scotsman and Scottyg
Thanks a lot mates. You have truly piqued my interest in these products and I am very fortunate to have an underground parking garage for my car with a wash bay and lots of room to do detailing etc. therefore, no issues in applying these products.
Methinks I will give one of these products a whirl when I receive my 2017 Ara Blue S3. If you apply these products to alloy wheels are there any issues with brake/rotor heat? As I like the protection aspect from brake pad dust corrosion along with salt from the roads in the winter time.
Again many thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Brasso
Thanks for all your responses. This detailing business is a bit of a minefield for me! I got in touch with detailing world who would do a 2 year protection for £300. This includes a ceramic coating on the paint and rims and a protective treatment on the interior fabric. The paint would be checked over for any defects before applying the coating, if any are found they are corrected. He would use either Gyeon MOHS+, DuraBEAD or Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light which he thinks all 3 are far superior to Nanolex Si3D.

In terms of products would you guys agree?

i don't have enough knowledge, i'm going to be using GTechniq products on my car once i have a suitable workshop to do it in over a long weekend

If you apply these products to alloy wheels are there any issues with brake/rotor heat? As I like the protection aspect from brake pad dust corrosion along with salt from the roads in the winter time.

I can recommend the gtechniq wheel armour I think it's ref is C5. Fab stuff and makes clean the wheels an absolute breeze. And means I don't have to spend ages getting the weekly accumulation of muck off. I'll certainly be applying it again when my S4 arrives.

I would normally detail myself but the weather in December is not ideal I have no where indoors I can maintain a decent temp for curing.

Looks like I'll get the bodywork and perhaps wheels done professionally once the car arrives.

I'll certainly be doing the interior myself.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Scottyg
Thanks for all your responses. This detailing business is a bit of a minefield for me! I got in touch with detailing world who would do a 2 year protection for £300. This includes a ceramic coating on the paint and rims and a protective treatment on the interior fabric. The paint would be checked over for any defects before applying the coating, if any are found they are corrected. He would use either Gyeon MOHS+, DuraBEAD or Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light which he thinks all 3 are far superior to Nanolex Si3D.

In terms of products would you guys agree?

I've alway had good results from gtechniq stuff, and have used a few of the gyeon products but not the paint sealers and been very pleased with the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got Siramik SC15 on mine and makes a hell of a difference even when washing. Would never have another car which wasnt ceramic coated. Also done my wheels and 90% of the dust comes off with the snow foam and jet wash, and got a old wash mitt to go over them, and brings them back the day like they were from factory.

Actually made a video of the behaviour of the water after ceramic coating. (front door coated)

As said, detailing world is a decent place for reviews/feedback on products that are out there.

Reactions: batch
I'd happily pay the prices you guys have been quoted for detailing. I live in Hampshire and was quoted £650 + VAT for applying GTechnic quartz something to the body and wheels only of my new B9 A4 Avant. That would include the cost of any correction needed to the paintwork, but from a cursory glance, the guy couldn't see any swirls. The product he uses is warranted for 5 years and, in his experience, good for 3.

I have my motorbike and my wife's new Mini coated with Si3D. I did both my self.

Certainly the Mini did not need any surface prep, The dealer just cleaned it and didn't attempt to polish it, we went over it thoroughly under bright lights. The Nanolex kit is easy to use although doing it properly will take two people a very full day. But I cant recommend it highly enough. It's a ceramic coating and give a great gloss with amazing beading properties. It can be used on exterior (or interior) plastics too. Good coating for wheels as well.

Makes cleaning a doddle, Nanaolex stuff is extremely good. I'll definitely use it on my next new car.

Finally got the new car this week and ready to get the detailing done. What should I go for?

• Gyeon MOHS+ or Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Price is £250 & he's said it will last 2 years +
  • Gyeon DuraBEAD or Gtechniq CSL + EXO. Price is £300 which will last 3 years +

Cheers @Scottyg I previously read on detailing world about that being a good combination so have made the decision to go for that. Booked it in for next Thursday :sunglasses:

Reactions: azibux1 and Scottyg