SQ5 New Car...Old Stomping Ground!

dkingy11

SQ5 & A4 Allroad
Reaction score
Well after a long 6 hour round trip, with kids in tow (making it 10x harder), I’m now the owner of a beautiful Volcano Red SQ5!! Never thought it would happen... but absolutely loving every minute... What a machine it is! :cool:.
We weren’t too sure about the colour due to mixed reviews, but I said we just need to go see it & when I first saw it in the metal, I fell in love & then the test drive etc. just cemented the deal! A nice surprise was when looking in the booklet to find it was originally from Wearside Audi, so thought it was only right to bring him back home!!
Haven’t got many pics yet as just wanting to drive it, but here’s 1 I got when putting the rubbish out last night, just sitting there beautifully!
D06E62BC 8FCB 4B83 96DE B82E784CB007
Thank you to anyone who has helped with any questions I’ve had, leading up to the purchase, but a big shout out to John (45bvtc) for all his help & input!!! Really appreciated :) .

• Love
Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally, NevMan and 5 others
Absolutely stunning, enjoy... :racer:

Reactions: dkingy11
Awesome car in amazing colour. Enjoy.

Reactions: Jcbmally, 45bvtc and dkingy11
A few mods done with the Launch Tool: -
- Drive Select added... must have for anyone who wants the Sound actuator on with normal steering & gearbox (not just S mode).
- Lap Timer added.
- Interior Lights (foot wells) adjustment through MMI added.
Still have a couple of others I want to do: -
- Remove fogs from coming home lights (or change bulbs?)
- Allow EPKB release without seatbelt.
Any other must haves, please let me know.

Additional to the VCDS changes, I’ve changed the washer jets from the 3 jets to (sort of) fan type & added a set of Bosch wipers (must have for me as seem to be better than anything else).
Once again, any other mods you would recommend, please let me know :cool: .

Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally, 45bvtc and 1 other person
& added a set of Bosch wipers (must have for me as seem to be better than anything else).
Once again, any other mods you would recommend, please let me know :cool: .
Maybe try a set of PIAA Si-Tech next time, David, lol :

PIAA Si-Tech windscreen wiper blades for the SQ5 @ £53.96
1 x 600mm (24") and 1 x 500mm (20")
Fitting guide:
http://www.piaa.co.jp/sitech-guide/4.html

Just saying....

Reactions: dkingy11 and NevMan
Congrats! This made me smile, wether it’s Tesco or a long trip it’s always 10 x harder bringing the kids!! But its something you will all remember.

Plus when you buy a family car it’s nice to get the family buy in!

Reactions: dkingy11 and 45bvtc
Updated the interior lights tonight :cool:...makes such a difference (I hate the ‘orange’ lights)!!
Before Map Lights
61AA4B9F D8D8 4D3F B25C 07EF2B532628
After Map Lights (36mm LED C5W for main map light & standard LED W5W for the spots)
6A9DB35E 5E09 4460 839E F7DABE9AD450
Before Vanity Light
2AF7A695 DE02 43CA BD17 FD35BE463901
After Vanity Lights (39mm LED C5W)70CCC6E4 E1A2 4104 8F45 AD0DD0E42C79
Additional to these I replaced the 4x door lights, the 3x trunk lights & the glovebox light & the rear spots with the LED W5Ws, but forgot to take any photos.
These together with the already fitted White LED footwell lights & number plate lights really improve the look on a night & also set the interior off...
2030C684 6B41 4EA9 9A3E 8A4A01B0D133
Next up is to replace the fogs with white bulbs (on order) then thankfully no more ‘orange’ lights :).

Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally, paul wev and 1 other person
What about reversing lights? Had a problem with an intermittent offside bumper light fitting and after repalcing the light cluster also decided to go LED on the reversing lights. The original T15 'Toshiba' filament bulbs did look reasonably white, but by comparison with the new very bright white T15 CANBUS LED's I sourced the original bulbs were a shade of yellow!
(Apologies - Photo of car is pretty poor as sun glaring in the lens!)
Photo below shows new LED and original filament bulb.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: blackwood, dkingy11 and paul wev
What about reversing lights? Had a problem with an intermittent offside bumper light fitting and after repalcing the light cluster also decided to go LED on the reversing lights. The original T15 'Toshiba' filament bulbs did look reasonably white, but by comparison with the new very bright white T15 CANBUS LED's I sourced the original bulbs were a shade of yellow!
(Apologies - Photo of car is pretty poor as sun glaring in the lens!)
Photo below shows new LED and original filament bulb.
View attachment 236535
Good shout... I will look at getting some of them. Are they easy to change? Like you said I just looked at them thinking they were white enough, but you can see that the LH is much better. :cool:
I’m wondering if it’s the same case with the little spot lights under the wing mirrors?

Good shout... I will look at getting some of them. Are they easy to change? Like you said I just looked at them thinking they were white enough, but you can see that the LH is much better. :cool:
I’m wondering if it’s the same case with the little spot lights under the wing mirrors?
The rear bumper lights on the FY9 are kept in by a single T20 Torx accessed via the flip off square you can see on the bumper but you will require a long 250mm Torx driver. I had a standard driver and that was way to short, used a hex extension bar in a T-bar with a torx hex bit and it was a struggle but achievable although as soon as the Amazon 250mm dedicated torx driver arrived it was a doddle to locate and release the screw. The torx screw stays in the light assembly when released. With the road grime and dirt around the light assembly it can be quite tight. The light needs to be pulled straight back. A plastic trim remover tool will help prizing the inner part of the light from the bumper to give you a little more leverage.

I replaced the o/s light assembly as the dashboard reported a reversing light not working a few months ago. After investigation found it was the light assembly broken inside somehow and the bulb not making contact. Ended up buying a new light assembly from Audi which came with a full compliment of new filament bulbs installed.

Be careful putting the light assembly back as when checking out the old assembly managed to chip the inner corner red plastic off, it was only about 5mm of the corner, and superglue was no good. Lesson there was to line it all up slowly when pushing back and not to do it at 9pm thinking it was a 2 minute job to check the bulb.

The LED CANBUS compatible Reversing bulbs I purchased were from www.emtuning.co.uk. Only issue I had was getting them in the bulb holder and that was made easier by a few strokes of a file to chamfer both sides of the pcb edge that inserts into the bulb holder.

Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally, dkingy11 and 1 other person