New Car Ordered - Toyota Yaris GR-Four

wow I love it - really looking forward to this collection thread and thoughts.

What a cracking car - I want one lol :icon thumright:

Reactions: pburv, Bristle Hound, wab172uk and 1 other person
Just had an email update from Toyota.

Car has been built and has left the factory !!!

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and Jcbmally

Cue the day counting and the constant search on the interweb on any info whatsoever :yes::yes:

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and wab172uk
Cue the day counting and the constant search on the interweb on any info whatsoever :yes::yes:

Funnily enough. !!!!

Try to ignore the annoying Tw*t Archie, but the Yaris on track can certainly shift. Also goes to show the advantage of AWD on a wet surface.

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, Ron240 and 1 other person
Removing Archie Hamilton from the equation that video was genuinely very impressive....the Porsche drivers must have wondered what the hell was happening. :huh:
Congratulations @wab172uk :)
Honestly I think I am getting too old for a car like this now, but doesn't mean I can't totally appreciate how good it is and what it can do. :icon thumright:

Reactions: pburv, NevMan, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Removing Archie Hamilton from the equation that video was genuinely very impressive....the Porsche drivers must have wondered what the hell was happening. :huh:
Honestly I think I am getting too old for a car like this now, but doesn't mean I can't totally appreciate how good it is and what it can do. :icon thumright:

Think this car is my middle ages (46) crisis car. Porsche is a stretch, so Yaris it is. Been hankering for a hot hatch to recapture my youth of hooning around on 3 wheels.

I currently have a Renault Twingo 133 RS, while is great fun. But it is very stiff and can be quite uncomfortable. Not very fast either, so overtaking is proper old school. Hang back from the car in front. Then time it right to floor it, so by the time you get round the corner and onto the straight, you're carrying enough over-speed to get past them safely. :racer:

Think this car is my middle ages (46) crisis car. Porsche is a stretch, so Yaris it is. Been hankering for a hot hatch to recapture my youth of hooning around on 3 wheels.
I am almost 54 now and had what you could call my middle age crisis car when I was 50 - Civic Type R which actually I found quite civilised. I think I just needed to scratch that itch. :D
Hey whatever makes you happy I say go for it. :thumbs up:

Looks like a brilliant little car, are you going to do the HKS treatment on it? Was watching a youtube vid they have squeezed 475bhp out of it!!!

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally
Looks like a brilliant little car, are you going to do the HKS treatment on it? Was watching a youtube vid they have squeezed 475bhp out of it!!!

Debating about modifying it. Not sure on engine, but Toyota are selling additional front splitter, side skirts and diffuser. Need to get some prices. Or if HKS come up with something similar?

Exhaust will get changed, and with either change the wheels, or get the ones fitted re-sprayed a shade of Gold. Or maybe a set of White Compomotive wheels?

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and Jcbmally
:iagree::iagree:

Reactions: Ron240, pburv and NevMan
We had one come in at work the other day, shame I couldn't take it for a spin!

50837767163_235198395f_b.jpg

Reactions: Pinky1959, SiPie, wab172uk and 3 others

Any update as your ship docked on the 13th feb!

If that is left factory when you posted this.

Mine on ship due arrive 6th March at Portbury!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan

Pretty sure his GR arrived earlier in Feb, and waiting for 1 March collection and new reg

Reactions: Jcbmally, wab172uk and mike170

Hi Mate,

Yeah, as Nev says. I collect Monday 1st march.

Been sat at dealers since 4th February.

Taking Monday off to go for a drive around and get acquainted with the car.

Be a surprise for my lass when she gets back from work. Kept it a secret since November.

Reactions: Pinky1959, pburv, Jcbmally and 2 others
We had one come in at work the other day, shame I couldn't take it for a spin!

50837767163_235198395f_b.jpg

My dealer got their demo in. But I've been so busy I never got chance to take it out for a test drive. First drive will be in my car.

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
Not sure if anyone has heard about Mr JWW?

Apparently, his team phoned up Litchfield asking if they could have the suspension kit for his GR Yaris for free. Plus £25,000 for a one off video talking about the it. Then they wanted a cut of every kit Litchfield sold thereafter. Whether it was because of his video or not. Cheeky T**ts

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and Marshy
Heard this a few weeks back.
Not sure who these clowns think they are.
Why would Litchfield pay this idiot a penny

Reactions: Jcbmally and wab172uk
Not sure if anyone has heard about Mr JWW?

Apparently, his team phoned up Litchfield asking if they could have the suspension kit for his GR Yaris for free. Plus £25,000 for a one off video talking about the it. Then they wanted a cut of every kit Litchfield sold thereafter. Whether it was because of his video or not. Cheeky T**ts

Yep, he is one of the “entitled” you tubers. What a cheek but not surprising

Reactions: wab172uk and Jcbmally
Hi Mate,

Yeah, as Nev says. I collect Monday 1st march.

Been sat at dealers since 4th February.

Taking Monday off to go for a drive around and get acquainted with the car.

Be a surprise for my lass when she gets back from work. Kept it a secret since November.

Nice one Wayne, a good day that, my Mrs’ birthday. We picked up the Cooper S last March....feels a lifetime ago.

Enjoy, look forward to your 1st impressions

Reactions: wab172uk and Jcbmally
Well ...... car collected yesterday, and to say I'm happy, is an understatement.

Bit of a delay in collecting the car, as Toyota's systems went down, so they couldn't Tax it. So instead of collecting at 11am, I picked it up at 13:15. Not a huge problem, but it did ruin my planned first drive, as I'd lost a couple hours.

Positives?
Colour looks fantastic. Really please I went for Red. to me it looks more like a Totty apple Red. Which in the sunshine looks fantastic. But when the sun isn't out, It may look a little flat. But I'm happy with it.

Car looks very purposeful, and just look right. OK, maybe a more rally style rear spoiler would be nice, but there is no mistaking this car for your bog standard Yaris.

Driving off, the first thing you notice is the gearbox. What a box ! Fantastic. Proper mechanical short through. Absolute joy to use. Rev-match works well too. Ride is firm but compliant. No need for annoying setting. Feels right out of the box. But I can see how some may want a comfort setting.

Brakes are strong, though I didn't really use them hard being brand new. You can feel they will be mightily strong when used in anger.

Seats are comfortable and look great. Steering wheel is small and thin. Much better in feel than some modern fat wheels.

The engine? Even out of the box, it feels strong. Very short gearing, which made it a struggle to keep under 4000 revs. You can feel the Turbo kicking in at about 3200 revs, when it starts to pull strong. Torque is impressive. It feels stronger and more powerful over an S3. Certainly feels stronger than the 257bhp in meant to have. Others have been dyno'd over 270bhp.

Chassis is very impressive. Carries speed through bends it total ease. Feels nimble and planted. Once run-in, it'll be mighty along a good B road.

The sound pumped through the speakers is not bad. You forget it's fake,, as it really suits the car. Unlike the MK7 Gold I had that sounded so fake, I refuse to hit the sport setting just because the fake sound was so awful.

Negatives?
Drivers seat is a tad too high. And I'm a shorty (5ft 6"). I'll certainly look at modifying the seating rails when companies develop then.

Cabin materials could be considered too cheap by some, but I found them find. Once you've owned a Subaru Impreza, everything feel better quality.

No arm rest. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to have one for motorway use.

Very little storage space, but not really a concern to me given what is was bought for, and how / when it'll get used.

Road noise is quite loud on certain roads. Again, not a deal breaker for me, but I can see how others wouldn't like it.

Small fuel take. Very small. Need to check capacity, but in 100 miles I used half a tank. And taking it easy, it was only achieving 23 mpg. But Im sure that will improve once the engine has bedded in.

Shocked
I found out yesterday that the servicing schedule for it is every 6 months or ..............

every 3000 miles. :blink::blink::blink:

I never expected that !! I'm getting emailed the service plan, as the system couldn't work it out on the day. But that's worse than owning an Evo back in the day. Maybe those Diffs need special maintenance?

Overall, I absolutely love the car. Feels and drives like a special car. Given how and why it was designed / built, by Toyota, I just had to have one. Will keep this for many many years.

Reactions: BarryG79, pburv, Sandra and 6 others
Forgot the pictures

Y01
Y02
Y03
Y04
Y05

Reactions: Pinky1959, Nitro_CR, BarryG79 and 9 others
Well ...... car collected yesterday, and to say I'm happy, is an understatement.

Bit of a delay in collecting the car, as Toyota's systems went down, so they couldn't Tax it. So instead of collecting at 11am, I picked it up at 13:15. Not a huge problem, but it did ruin my planned first drive, as I'd lost a couple hours.

Positives?
Colour looks fantastic. Really please I went for Red. to me it looks more like a Totty apple Red. Which in the sunshine looks fantastic. But when the sun isn't out, It may look a little flat. But I'm happy with it.

Car looks very purposeful, and just look right. OK, maybe a more rally style rear spoiler would be nice, but there is no mistaking this car for your bog standard Yaris.

Driving off, the first thing you notice is the gearbox. What a box ! Fantastic. Proper mechanical short through. Absolute joy to use. Rev-match works well too. Ride is firm but compliant. No need for annoying setting. Feels right out of the box. But I can see how some may want a comfort setting.

Brakes are strong, though I didn't really use them hard being brand new. You can feel they will be mightily strong when used in anger.

Seats are comfortable and look great. Steering wheel is small and thin. Much better in feel than some modern fat wheels.

The engine? Even out of the box, it feels strong. Very short gearing, which made it a struggle to keep under 4000 revs. You can feel the Turbo kicking in at about 3200 revs, when it starts to pull strong. Torque is impressive. It feels stronger and more powerful over an S3. Certainly feels stronger than the 257bhp in meant to have. Others have been dyno'd over 270bhp.

Chassis is very impressive. Carries speed through bends it total ease. Feels nimble and planted. Once run-in, it'll be mighty along a good B road.

The sound pumped through the speakers is not bad. You forget it's fake,, as it really suits the car. Unlike the MK7 Gold I had that sounded so fake, I refuse to hit the sport setting just because the fake sound was so awful.

Negatives?
Drivers seat is a tad too high. And I'm a shorty (5ft 6"). I'll certainly look at modifying the seating rails when companies develop then.

Cabin materials could be considered too cheap by some, but I found them find. Once you've owned a Subaru Impreza, everything feel better quality.

No arm rest. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to have one for motorway use.

Very little storage space, but not really a concern to me given what is was bought for, and how / when it'll get used.

Road noise is quite loud on certain roads. Again, not a deal breaker for me, but I can see how others wouldn't like it.

Small fuel take. Very small. Need to check capacity, but in 100 miles I used half a tank. And taking it easy, it was only achieving 23 mpg. But Im sure that will improve once the engine has bedded in.

Shocked
I found out yesterday that the servicing schedule for it is every 6 months or ..............

I never expected that !! I'm getting emailed the service plan, as the system couldn't work it out on the day. But that's worse than owning an Evo back in the day. Maybe those Diffs need special maintenance?

Overall, I absolutely love the car. Feels and drives like a special car. Given how and why it was designed / built, by Toyota, I just had to have one. Will keep this for many many years.
And SWMBO Wayne ??:sunglasses:

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and Audi Bairn
And SWMBO Wayne ??:sunglasses:

She was shocked, as the Twingo was Red, she initially thought I'd just cleaned it. Then it twigged. Then she thought it was a dealer demo car, till she saw the private reg.

Thankfully she likes it. But she ain't getting a go of it.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, NevMan and 1 other person

Positives?

Negatives?

Shocked

@wab172uk - Congrats on your new car buddy - looks fab! - love that colour!
Always good to read a honest review
I’m sure you gonna have fun it it

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, wab172uk and 2 others
That was my first choice of colour, then decided to go with black as my current S3 is red!
Looking again now I’d think I’d should of gone for Pearl White!

White seams to be the most popular colour!

I thought it was service every 6000 miles!

Hopefully get mine end of the month!

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, wab172uk and 2 others
That was my first choice of colour, then decided to go with black as my current S3 is red!
Looking again now I’d think I’d should of gone for Pearl White!

White seams to be the most popular colour!

I thought it was service every 6000 miles!

Hopefully get mine end of the month!

I wobbled a bit over Red. But by then the car was in Build, so I couldn't change it even if I wanted to. To be fair, in the flesh, the Red looks stunning. Especially when the sun is on it. Please I specced it now.

I'm hoping the sales guy was wrong about the servicing. 3000 miles seems very few miles between services.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and pburv
@wab172uk - Congrats on your new car buddy - looks fab! - love that colour!
Always good to read a honest review
I’m sure you gonna have fun it it

Cheers Col.

Even if it was badly spelt in places. My Brain thinks one thing, my fingers hit random keys and hope for the best :tearsofjoy: Getting worse. :tired:

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn, pburv and 2 others
I wobbled a bit over Red. But by then the car was in Build, so I couldn't change it even if I wanted to. To be fair, in the flesh, the Red looks stunning. Especially when the sun is on it. Please I specced it now.

I'm hoping the sales guy was wrong about the servicing. 3000 miles seems very few miles between services.

I’m on gr-Yaris.co.uk forum and they say 6000 miles or every 12 months!

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and wab172uk
I’m on gr-Yaris.co.uk forum and they say 6000 miles or every 12 months!

Thanks Mike. I'll be joining that forum today.

Dealers. How can they always get things wrong?

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and mike170
Wayne, congrats on the new car. It’s a stunning colour. Enjoy to the max. :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn, pburv and 1 other person
Great looking car mate.. Red is the best colour choice.:icon thumright:
Just a quick question... How do you find the build quality regarding body panels. On a recent review it was noted the panels are very thin.. My wife has been looking at a Yaris but has been put off by this.
cheers:thumbs up:

Reactions: Jcbmally
Great looking car mate.. Red is the best colour choice.:icon thumright:
Just a quick question... How do you find the build quality regarding body panels. On a recent review it was noted the panels are very thin.. My wife has been looking at a Yaris but has been put off by this.
cheers:thumbs up:

Thanks mate.

I've not really noticed to be honest, but I've not had a poke about or washed it yet. I know the bumpers on the GR are very thin to safe weight.

Inside is fine TBH. It's never going to be Audi or BMW quality materials.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and pburv
Thanks mate.

I've not really noticed to be honest, but I've not had a poke about or washed it yet. I know the bumpers on the GR are very thin to safe weight.

Inside is fine TBH. It's never going to be Audi or BMW quality materials.
Ah cheers mate. Yes I'm aware it's going to be in a different league compared to Audi and BMW. It was the clown from Carwow who put my wife off the Yaris in this vid. Forward to 9mins 40 sec. and you will see what I mean.
Toyota Yaris 2021 review - see how it's better than a Polo or Fiesta! - YouTube
Having said that it would be something I would ignore if I could persuade her to go for the GR.
As it stands she is keen on the new Corolla Hybrid Excel with 'pano' roof.

Reactions: wab172uk, Jcbmally and Audi Bairn
She was shocked, as the Twingo was Red, she initially thought I'd just cleaned it. Then it twigged. Then she thought it was a dealer demo car, till she saw the private reg.

Thankfully she likes it. But she ain't getting a go of it.
So to be clear on this buddy, you know when you want a “snuggle” cough cough, and she asks for the keys are you still going to say no :whistle2: especially when she says no drive no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :sob::sos:
:friends:

Reactions: wab172uk and pburv
Ah cheers mate. Yes I'm aware it's going to be in a different league compared to Audi and BMW. It was the clown from Carwow who put my wife off the Yaris in this vid. Forward to 9mins 40 sec. and you will see what I mean.
Toyota Yaris 2021 review - see how it's better than a Polo or Fiesta! - YouTube
Having said that it would be something I would ignore if I could persuade her to go for the GR.
As it stands she is keen on the new Corolla Hybrid Excel with 'pano' roof.

Oh yeah, see what you mean now. The doors thankfully don't make that noise. Next time I get it out the garage, I'll feel the panels. But, as you say. A GR can be forgiven for this given what else you get with it.

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
So to be clear on this buddy, you know when you want a “snuggle” cough cough, and she asks for the keys are you still going to say no :whistle2: especially when she says no drive no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :sob::sos:
:friends:

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. There are always exceptions to everything I suppose. :yes:

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv