New Car 'Paint Protection'

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hello All

Are these paint protections offered on new cars by dealerships, really all they are cracked up to be?

Or is it better going to a detailer and getting Gtechniq products applied instead?

Thanks in advance

Stay clear of any dealer prep, completely clear. Don't even let them wash the car prior to delivery. Take it to a pro detailer if you can't do it yourself. Gtechniq gets great reviews on here as do some others like CarPro CQUARTZUK. Read through the detailing section to get loads of info. By the way the protection the dealers will put on you can get from eBay for £30 and they will charge you £300.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Not worth it, same goes for the so called upholstery protection.

Get a recommended detailer to do your car for you once you have it, will probably be cheaper and alot better too.

A local detailer has quoted £625 for the full Gtechniq treatment inc. exterior, alloys, Windows and upholstery . Is that about the right price?

As above it is a complete rip off, the biggest issue isnt the product but more the fact that the paintwork isnt properly prepared before applying, I mean you wouldnt paint a wall if it need plastering or sanding etc ... you would do that first. There are (i believe) only 2/3 companies who will detail a car upon delivery and off of their own back Rolls Royce, Bentley and Aston Martin (this was as of a couple of years ago) so others might now. The other part is the pricing, I actually have a product that vauxhall used to offer for £449 but each bottle can easily do 5 exteriors plus interiors from the interior product, Yes I know they need to make a profit, but a set that costs no more than £50, then say 5x insignias @ £449 each and thats a lot of profit. Anyway best get off of my high horse. As above, 1/2 the price get a proper detail and better results. I do all mine myself so if you feel handy then this is a good way to get to know your car from the off

I would say £625 is not a bad price, you should get a warranty on that too.

Sounds too expensive in that the dealer wont be a detailer and the product will not likely be applied as completely or properly as it should.

It's the process up to the application that counts, most detailers will do a machine polish first to get the paint 100%. Then the application of the products it's a 2 day process

Go to there detailing place and check them out if they are a busy company be prepared to wait a month to get its done. Have a look at any work they are in the process of doing look at there workspace how clean is it, what kind of condition is there premises. This could say a lot about what your paying for most detailers are meticulous with there work space too. Look around see what else is on offer, there are plenty detailers out there now.

Here's me thinking with your username that you were up here in Scotland.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, Spaceman_RS3, scotty76 and 1 other person
I've heard very good reports regarding Defined Details in Glasgow.

They are easily one of the best in the UK... not as showy as many, but would run rings around most.

Gordon is one of the few detailers in the UK I would let touch my cars...if I didn't like butchering myself...:rockwoot:

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, scotty76 and Scottyg
I'm reluctant to spend £620 as its slot of money. Especially for a little bit more I could order the B&O speakers.

If I put a good wax etc on, would that be good enough?

Reactions: DrEskimo
I'm reluctant to spend £620 as its slot of money. Especially for a little bit more I could order the B&O speakers.

If I put a good wax etc on, would that be good enough?
I don't reckon I'd part with £600+ for someone to put a coat of protection on a car. In truth I'd just make sure i washed myself with care taken and apply wax. I just don't see how £620 can be value for money, does it mean you can throw the car through mechanical drive thru washes and if not then what's the point in the outlay, it would need to be protecting my car to that degree to warrant that price tag for me personally!

For me yes, proper care and waxing is enough.

I do everything properly like preping the car before, 2 buckets method with grit guards, iron-x, clay bars, sealant, decent wax (Angelwax), alloy wheel wax etc, so I know what I'm doing.

I just don't get how these sealant treatments are so expensive. I mean I hear good things about Gtechniq.