New car time ... Looking at A4 SE Technik 1.8TFSi would like some input please.

Flumoxed

Reaction score
As title.
I presume as its now an established platform, the hiccups have long since been ironed out, and a new one will see me through 5 years with little trouble ...

The SE Technic seem a good spec list as standard for reasonable money, and with the new version due soon, good deals shouldn't be hard to find I hope !

Any known bad/week points on current A4's ?

Here are my gripes for my 2013 1.8 tfsi:

- Older Sat Nav generations only has 5 digit postcode, new ones use 7 digit
- Can't upload custom POI or speed cameras to them
- Can't keep playlist on shuffle/random, have to enable it every time you want start the car
- Doesn't default to favorite radio station lists, always shows them all, have to set manually again every time

- Turbo engines use excess oil consumption, have to top if up every so often even though Audi's handbook states every 1000 mile uses 1 litre of engine oil
- As with all manufacturers, their MPG figures don't match up any where near real world MPG, they quote 58mpg on good run, I get 44mpg at most

All in all, still love the car

Just to clarify please liquidfusionv:
The current sat nav system only take 5 digits ... can this be updated via software ?

Playlist shuffle - is this from CD/Phone/Ipod or SD card, or all of them ?
(There is a "trick" I needed to do on my current car to enable shuffle to work with my SD card stored music, one track on root outside of any folders, might be worth trying.)

1 litre in 1000 miles ! ouch ... might expect that for the first 1000, but seems too excessive beyond that, how many miles have you done to date in yours ?

FISCON Bluetooth Freisprecheinrichtung

I believe it's MMI Navigation 3G onwards that have the 7 digit postcode, anything older is 5 digit.
I done a bit of research in regards of this and haven't found anything that could update the software from 5 to 7, hence why I bought my car which is 2013.

Playlist shuffle is all of them, they all have the same problem unless I suppose you play it from an Ipod with shuffle on, but that defeats the purpose of having an in car entertainment system.

I haven't done much miles in mine, only about 400 miles but I it's dropped a block, not sure how much that is.
Some cars are luckier than others, some go on for 2-3k miles before needing top up.

To answer the question about the postcode entry, I have the 'tech pack high' with the HDD based sat nav and it does allow for the 7 digit entry. I'm assuming this is different from the system you get with the Technik?

According to the Audi configurator SE Technik has:
Technology package – High
MMI Navigation Plus

Might sound like an odd question .... but how would one tell if a car wasn't UK spec ?
Currently have a dealer looking for a car on the system, and being paranoid, how would I check he didn't slip in a lower spec import version :unsure:

Also service intervals and costs, does anyone have figures ?

Thanks

Might sound like an odd question .... but how would one tell if a car wasn't UK spec ?
Currently have a dealer looking for a car on the system, and being paranoid, how would I check he didn't slip in a lower spec import version :unsure:

Also service intervals and costs, does anyone have figures ?

Thanks

Servicing intervals depends on how you drive the car, have a look below:
Routine servicing < Servicing with Audi < Owners area < Audi

If car is over 3 years old then the prices are below:

Major service £309
Interim service £159
Cam belt £439
Brake pads (front) £139
Brake pads & discs (front) £269
Brake pads (rear) £129
Brake pads & discs (rear) £259
Clutch (quattro®) £929
Clutch (non quattro®) £749
Brake fluid change £59
Front Wiper Blades £39
Air conditioning service including antibacterial clean - £79

Thanks dieselguy that's not too bad then.
I take it:
interim = oil/filter change
major service = inspection service & includes the above

Thanks dieselguy that's not too bad then.
I take it:
interim = oil/filter change
major service = inspection service & includes the above

Yeah thats right. On top of these, they'll also do other stuff that needs to be changed, such as pollen filters etc….

Just need to find out what dealers around my area are most reliable for servicing, I didn't see a section for that on these forums ....

The shuffle/random resetting is extremely annoying!

The new SE Technik has HDD SatNav so you will have full 7 digit postcodes. I was going to go for one but I wanted B&O the sound package and larger wheels so went for the Black Edition and added the SatNav instead.

I can imagine ... I normally have my SD card kept in vehicle and random on.... but if that's the worst niggle with the car then I could live with it :)

I thought I could live with that aswell... but boy is it a pain!
So is the preset radio stations....! You'll know what I mean when you get yours

Forgot to mention, if you like your radio, get the DAB. Not sure if its standard equipment now, but on my 2013 A4 with Tech Pack it doesn't have it.

Just need to find out what dealers around my area are most reliable for servicing, I didn't see a section for that on these forums ....

I've not seen any threads with Dealer ratings… It's hard to rate them fairly as one person's experience/expectations is different to another. If you give some info on your rough location, some one on here might recommend something.

But be prepared to haggle hard and do your homework which ever dealer you visit, we don't call them stealers for no reason :)

Aye, does list Dab as fitted on the configurator.
Price wise, I am looking at getting them to match the quotes from carwow, and have been told they will ;)
But I want the finance deal prices for an outright deal ... that they may not !
With there being a new version due out next year, hopefully I will get a good deal.

Aye, does list Dab as fitted on the configurator.
Price wise, I am looking at getting them to match the quotes from carwow, and have been told they will ;)
But I want the finance deal prices for an outright deal ... that they may not !

If they don't match finance deal for the outright purchase figure, what you can do is put down a large deposit and then pay it off quickly. You might end up paying a bit more than the outright deal but you should get free servicing. Just have to work out which is a slightly better deal, as I think it works out to be about the same. Depends then on if you want the finance hassle.

The dealer wouldn't budge on interest rates for me but they did take off pretty good discount. The current Apr from Audi is 6.6%

Don't really want the hasle + I think they would limit the amount you can put as a deposit ... otherwise I would consider taking £500 finance to get 2.5 k off :whistle2:

EDIT: dealer just phoned so I asked .... maximum you can deposit is 50%, so I don't want to do it that way !

Last edited:
Don't really want the hasle + I think they would limit the amount you can put as a deposit ... otherwise I would consider taking £500 finance to get 2.5 k off :whistle2:

Yeah there is a limit, i can't remember how much though. But for sure you have to borrow a few £1000's for them to make the profit up. Finance and serving is where the money is….

You are allowed to pay off the amount owed early. Not sure if they will charge a big chunk to do so however...

Are the seats identical in the S line, (apart from the embossed bit) ?

Thanks for that, so narrower between side bolsters I imagine.

Thanks for that, so narrower between side bolsters I imagine.

Yes, and I think the bolsters are more emphasised too:
1400_qa4_d_10113.jpg