New CV joint required

Pops848

Reaction score
I need new CV joints, no problem. However I'm having issues sourcing the correct CV joints, by the looks of it Audi changed the CV joints in March 2003, well officially for the A4 anyway, however mine is a Cab, supposedly manufactured in Sep 2002 (which I believe it was). However, being the Cab all parts seem to point towards a 2003 model, that is to say that the Cabriolet was the first sort of facelift, officially designed as MY03, not an MY02.
My engine code is BDV, which relates to 2002 cabs, but 2003 onwards saloons, minor difference in the engine, cooling systems and PCV being the main visual differences.

My question is this, a CV joint is either £25 or £70, don't care which but want the right part.
£25 part number 657449611
£70 part number 657445421

The difference is that the cheaper £25 has a groove in the internal components, where as the £70 part does not. There's also some slight differences in length, by 0.5mm, so not all that much but likely enough when it comes to steering.

So, when I start looking through Etka diagrams I select a 2003 model as it is correct for my engine, but it looks like the CV joint is grooved, where as I phoned the motor factors and they say no it's the more expensive one (going by build year).
Attached is said photo of CV joint from 2003, how can I check this, any ideas?

Ps, personalised reg so I know that sometimes screws up the parts department

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.07.04.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.07.04.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.06.53.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.06.53.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,078
In contrast, this is the CV joint from a 2002 A4 saloon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.08.52.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.08.52.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.08.43.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.08.43.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 309
I don't think I'm wishful thinking here, it really does look like the 2003 parts (that match my engine code and come up cabriolet) match, where as the 2002 (which doesn't have my engine or a cabriolet option) looks like it doesn't match, there is no BDV engine code that's for sure!

Any advice?:sadlike:

I needed new CV joints on my 2004 Cab. Instead of replacing just the CV's I did the whole driveshaft. A lot easier and quicker and cheaper, got them from j&r on eBay.

Hope this helps

I needed new CV joints on my 2004 Cab. Instead of replacing just the CV's I did the whole driveshaft. A lot easier and quicker and cheaper, got them from j&r on eBay.

Hope this helps

Thanks mate, there seems to be split reviews, some good some bad, just wondering on your experience of them?

Been on the car approx 18 mths now with no issues. A mechanic mate of mine uses them all the time.
I just msg them my reg before ordering to make sure they were compatible

Reactions: Pops848
Well guys I am fcuking fuming, my car had an issue with a snapped lower control arm last july.

Thread here..

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/lower-control-arm-fail.283043/#post-2784681

I replaced the control arm on the roadside but had a knocking noise so brought the car to the mechanic and he told me that the inner CV joint on the drivers side driveshaft was the problem so I suggested that he get a complete drive shaft from a breakers and fit it, job done! Nope he went off and got the inner CV joint spider bearing (triple roller) replaced instead. €60 for the bearing and €12.50 for CV boot, 2 hours labor with a final bill of €195 including vat.

Two weeks ago the same mechanic fitted a full control arm kit and as of late I was getting a knocking sound from under the car and vibration through the gear stick. Brought the car back to him and on inspection he tells me cant find anything wrong with the recent work but found play in the drivers side inner CV joint again so reckons that is the issue, wants to charge me another €150 to replace the inner CV joint. F*ck off I said ill take my business elsewhere.

Last edited:
Well guys I am fcuking fuming, my car had an issue with a snapped lower control arm last july.

Thread here..

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/lower-control-arm-fail.283043/#post-2784681

I replaced the control arm on the roadside but had a knocking noise so brought the car to the mechanic and he told me that the inner CV joint on the drivers side driveshaft was the problem so I suggested that he get a complete drive shaft from a breakers and fit it, job done! Nope he went off and got the inner CV joint spider bearing (triple roller) replaced instead. €60 for the bearing and €12.50 for CV boot, 2 hours labor with a final bill of €195 including vat.

Two weeks ago the same mechanic fitted a full control arm kit and as of late I was getting a knocking sound from under the car and vibration through the gear stick. Brought the car back to him and on inspection he tells me cant find anything wrong with the recent work but found play in the drivers side inner CV joint again so reckons that is the issue, wants to charge me another €150 to replace the inner CV joint. F*ck off I said ill take my business elsewhere.

Nightmare Steve, like I said a mate recommend just replacing the whole shaft instead of the CV joints as your probably do the inner then the outer will go at some point, saves a lot of messing about. Think the shafts were about £70 from memory. Apparently the A4 cabs CVs are usually a problem on the car.

Reactions: stevewr1

Thread here..

Steve, just had a look, it was £50 as it goes. This is the eBay number 140962123160 if your interested of the ones I got.

Hope it helps you out mate

Reactions: stevewr1
Nightmare Steve, like I said a mate recommend just replacing the whole shaft instead of the CV joints as your probably do the inner then the outer will go at some point, saves a lot of messing about. Think the shafts were about £70 from memory. Apparently the A4 cabs CVs are usually a problem on the car.

Indeed buddy, had my research done so thats why I had suggested replacing the complete driveshaft with a good used genuine audi unit instead of fcuking about with bearings. A job that should have been around €150 has turned into a €350 job due to incompetence. Gotta find me a better mechanic, Ahh the joys of motoring!!