SQ5 New Diesel SQ5

Dan_G

Reaction score
https://www.motor1.com/news/306267/2019-audi-sq5-tdi-revealed/

Its not really quicker than the petrol, will smell more, def wont sound as good, will probably not hit the emissions figures it comes with and be taxed to merry hell at some point in the future.

Still, its a nice green colour in the photos.

Happy with my petrol version.

Edit: Interesting they don't show the rear pipes in any of the press pictures...

Afaik all manufacturers have to hit lower and lower average of CO2 across each model now hence the rise of the oil burners on a model by model basis.

TX.

Edit - rear pipes are fake as seems to be the norm these days.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc
A 3.0 TDi Q5 will be my next Audi for sure, just a matter of when... :racer:

Reactions: NevMan
https://www.motor1.com/news/306267/2019-audi-sq5-tdi-revealed/
Its not really quicker than the petrol, will smell more, def wont sound as good, will probably not hit the emissions figures it comes with and be taxed to merry hell at some point in the future.
Happy with my petrol version.
Edit: Interesting they don't show the rear pipes in any of the press pictures...
Interesting comments, It's no slower than the ultimate speed of the petrol but in real every day driving with the torque it will feel quicker to the driver . It's more likely to come closer to the WLTP figures that will be quoted and I am sure you don't get too near the consumption figures quoted for the petrol SQ5 unless you drive like a grandma.
I drove the new 3.0 petrol turbo version recently on the dealer day and wasn't really blown away. Even in dynamic it doesn't sound that sporty. And definitely has a certain amount of synthesized noise coming through.
The diesels all come with synthesized soundtracks these days. The only time I have noticed a diesel smell more than a petrol is at the pumps.
And you won't be visiting the pumps as often with the TDI.
It does seem quite brave of Audi to introduce this and they must see a demand for it. As you say in the future there is a possibility that diesel will be even more frowned upon and Taxed more heavily. And certainly company car drivers may find it more expensive to buy any TDI let alone a performance version. In some parts of the world though diesel is not seen as the devils fuel.
And going forward petrol cars will start to suffer the same issues as they come under pressure from pure electric cars.
Looks like they have just lifted the drivetrain from this concept RS5 TDI and dropped it in the SQ5. This was around in 2014.
https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/audi-rs5-tdi-driven/30518

Back to back the 286bhp diesel Q5 with the petrol SQ5 the Diesel won in ALL aspects - for us.

Driven the 286bhp diesel sooo many times and am still amazed to find it's a diesel!

Stafford Audi provided both recently and we drove 'em over our weekly pot-holed, dropped-grid, and poorly-repaired Staffordshire roads and the 286bhp Q5 won everywhere: and since then Stafford Audi have dropped the price of that particular Q5 by £4K, oh dear...

The torque producing lower-combustion of that 3.0 turbo-diesel is oh so lovely in day-to-day driving; gone are the days when you could easily blast around local roads - 37-years of Lotus Europa's and Élan's and fast Audi's demonstrates that!

Still 2-years to go of our original objective of keeping BLUEY, our RS3, for 10-years, but then this (will then be 76-year old) will be going Q5 TDi... :racer:

Edit - rear pipes are fake as seems to be the norm these days.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Just getting us customers to accept the 'electric' look... :blink:

Reactions: NevMan and Terminator x
Zorsts are fake on the petrol one, too.

As a related aside, I just saw an old shape SQ5. Is there a spotted thread in 'ere,

I have had performance diesels (mainly BMW but an Alfa and a Volvo too..) and now have a petrol SQ5. Not. Bothered about numbers re torque, or the brilliant low down pull... I love the refinement of my petrol, and it’s great to run it round the Rev counter from time to time and enjoy the linear pull.

Each to their own but I am staying petrol.