New forum member, UK, C5 4.2 owner

Rich81

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time VW Audi fan here. Mostly VWs to be honest, since I passed my driving test 19 years ago. Plenty of MK2 golfs, also some mk3s and a mk4 1.8t recently. Also as I'm a family man had a few passats which eventually led to an A6 C5 1.9 tdi a few years ago, bought for £200 that needed a bit of work and I still have it. Loved the fact that even at £200 the quality was still there and a better car than the B5 passats I'd had.

Since my wife only drives auto that's been her car. Recently decided to get another auto so she can drive my car and took the opportunity to get something I had wanted for a while; a proper A6 with a V8. Would have liked an S6 but couldn't find a decent one for sensible money and a 4.2 came up at a very good price and condition. Needed a bit of work but despite having minimal free time managed to get it done over the last 2 weeks.

A6

Repairs so far:
- Repaired seized variable inlet manifold. Car was a hard start but this was due to vacuum leaks where one of the actuator diaphragms had broken. Thankfully managed to repair this as the are £250 from Audi just for the actuator and linkage..!
Actuator
- Broken front coil spring - since it had factory sport suspension which I like the handling of, decided to go with original Audi parts rather than aftermarket lowering springs. As usual with a C5 this job was a complete pain in the *** with pinch bolt needing drilling out etc. Also replaced a lower arm with shot ball joint whilst in there.
Pinch bolt
- Repaired head light auto-leveling sender on front suspension which had broken off. Made a new 'bearing' for it using some silicon hose on a bolt, which runs inside a drilled-out hex nut which i pressed into the original plastic arm. greased up and should last a while I reckon.
Levelling sender

- Also replaced numerous worn vac hoses. Thankfully hard starting is now a thing of the past she starts and drives lovely, and no more clunks.

Next jobs are get a bluetooth/MP3 adapter for the RNS-D, air-con re-gas, and program a spare key.

Absolutely love the car although is very thirsty. £30 of shell Vpower only lasted 80 miles...

Reactions: V6_Man
Hi Rich, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Looks a nice car. Hope you enjoy the car and the forum. :)

Welcome to the forum Rich and nice car. The V8 rumble alone is worth the frequent visits to the petrol station. Enjoy your ride and the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk